Corsair Community

Is there a way to log the power consumption of the HX850i?

nsaw81

Hello everyone,

i am now the proud owner of a HX850i power supply that can display the current power consumption (both input and output) via the USB interface in combination with iCUE There is also the possibility to display diagrams in iCUE. This is all well and good and a nice gimmick, but unfortunately not suitable for my project. I'm looking for a way to cumulate the power consumption so that I can calculate the efficiency over this interval at the end of the month. Is anyone aware of a way or is there an SDK that I can use to get the values directly? Then I could also make something myself.

Thanks a lot in advance

Jochen

• Corsair Employee
Hello everyone,

i am now the proud owner of a HX850i power supply that can display the current power consumption (both input and output) via the USB interface in combination with iCUE There is also the possibility to display diagrams in iCUE. This is all well and good and a nice gimmick, but unfortunately not suitable for my project. I'm looking for a way to cumulate the power consumption so that I can calculate the efficiency over this interval at the end of the month. Is anyone aware of a way or is there an SDK that I can use to get the values directly? Then I could also make something myself.

Thanks a lot in advance

Jochen

You use logging and it outputs to a CSV.

DISCLAIMER!

HWinfo can log that in CSV but you'd have to stop using iCUE because they conflict when ran together, and produce corrupted data.

This might prevent my suggestion below - as I don't use iCUE myself for this very reason.

DISCLAIMER!

Accumulating data for longer term, such as full month (if you plan to) starts to be solid use case for time series database + dashboard solution.

That being said, I'm author of HWiNFO PromDapter; Prometheus adapter for HWiNFO that lights up exactly that.

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/prometheus-adapter-for-hwinfo-grafana-dashboard.6281/

NOTE! You will need to set up Prometheus and Grafana in some system, which can be an overkill for single-system setup. However if you have multiple systems to monitor, you only set them up once and just fetch data from all the systems (I'm myself monitoring 3 folding systems).

Also Prometheus has default setting for 14 days, so you'll need to configure it properly.

If you go this route, I'm happy to help you set it up.

I just recently added my own HX1000i to it and its nice to see the efficiency and stuff realtime as well as for longer term. Here's example screenshot where PSU data is for the recent 7 days (my main system) and other parts are from 3 different systems CPU + GPU power usages.

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/prometheus-adapter-for-hwinfo-grafana-dashboard.6281/post-27027

Edited by Kallex

HWinfo can log that in CSV but you'd have to stop using iCUE because they conflict when ran together, and produce corrupted data.

Oh this is a good point! I'll edit this to my main reply too. Might prevent my suggestion - as I don't use iCUE myself for this very reason.

I have one of those power devices that I use to monitor power at me desk. My HX1000i can only monitor the PC where the power unit can handle any device.

These are now low cost and I see them for $10 on eBay and I suggest bunch to monitor you gear.

Hello together,

please excuse my late reaction. I was very busy the last days because of my new job. But now I have time again to deal with my project.

I could do without ICUE at short notice, because I need the software for my various Corsair devices (keyboard, mouse, RGB stuff). So it would be only a temporary solution to do without ICUE.

But in the meantime I have seen that you can export the data in ICUE as CSV. There you can set a query interval and write the result to the file. Then I would only have to cumulate the values and calculate the average per time unit, which is not very challenging. But you have to start and stop the recording manually every time, which again bears the risk that I might forget to do so. This would not immediately drive me into a depression, but it would bother me if this happened to me ;)

Thanks for the answers anyway. Have a nice weekend to you all.

Many greetings

Jochen