Corsair Community

Will sleeving my cables void my warranty? (HX-1000)

Prefix

Hey there everyone,

so I really love my HX-1000 PSU, and it was great of corsair to have the built-in cables pre-sleeved, however I'm wicked OCD and cannot stand the shortness/color bleed of the sleeving they used. =P I was wondering if it would void my warranty if I cut off the old PSU sleeving and re-did it myself? Note that I will NOT be opening the powder supply, and I will not be cutting the cables. Simply popping off the plastic plugs on the end, cutting off the heatshrink/sleeving, adding my own then reattaching the caps.

I really want to do this, but it's not worth losing an awesome 5 year warranty.

Thanks all

Hmm.. Well, sleeving doesn't shrink - that is heatshrink. The typical process for sleeving cables is

1)remove the pin connectors

2)cut off old heatshrink/sleeving

3)slide new sleeving down wires, with heatshrink on top at either ends

4)heat the heatshrink (shrinks, squeezes the sleeving to keep it in place)

5)re-insert the wire pins into the plastic connectors

I am experienced with sleeving so I know I will not mess up, but I just don't want to butcher my warranty >_< I tossed Corsair an email a couple days back but haven't heard back (With the Holidays and weekend and such it is understandable).

Thanks for your time

Just for anyone wondering, I got a reply from Corsair. Here is my question and the "official" response:

My question:

Hey there,

I own a Corsair HX1000 Power Supply, and would like to re-sleeve some of the cables. However, I am unsure if this will void the power supply's 5 year warranty or not. Any help on this matter would be much appreciated!

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Tom

Corsair's Response:

Hello Tom,

No this will not void the warranty, as long the unit is self is untouched.

Thank you!

So there ya go everyone. :)

You didn't mention that you were taking off the ends though. That may change their response. I'd call them and find out, but I'm in the middle of a WoW raid ATM lol.

I don't think they will ever see the PSU cables again, even if you rma the PSU you can keep your pretty reskined cables :laughing:.............CHEERS

I don't think they will ever see the PSU cables again, even if you rma the PSU you can keep your pretty reskined cables :laughing:.............CHEERS

Except for the cables that are non-modular (24 pin, PCI-E, etc are built into the PSU)

Here is the official answer:

Modifying the modular cables will not void the warranty.

If you modify the fixed cables, this will void your warranty. Removing the connectors, desoldering, cutting wires, etc constitutes modifying.

Hey Yellowbeard,

Thanks for the reply! Can't say your response makes me happy, but I kinda expected that would be the answer in the end. Oh well, no harm done I suppose.

Thank you all for your time :)

Hey Yellowbeard,

Thanks for the reply! Can't say your response makes me happy, but I kinda expected that would be the answer in the end. Oh well, no harm done I suppose.

Thank you all for your time :)

Of course it is not the best news but, I wanted to be clear before you made your decision. ::pirate::

• 9 months later...

sorry to bring this old topic up, but it seemed most relevant to my question

I currently only want to remove the sheathing/sleeving of the 24pin on my hx850 - would this void warranty? (simply cutting (carefully) the sleeving off without removing pins)

Thanks,

Tony

Archived