Corsair Community

xr5 radiators initial cleaning

polypusher

My two xr5 radiators arrived yesterday and I proceeded to flush one with hot and cold distilled water and to my surprise they seem really clean!

I got not large specs of crud out of it and just a couple of really tiny bits. Is Corsair having the manufacture flush the radiators?

Usually I get lots of crud out when I flush radiators and go the vinegar water mix flush then lots of water flush's etc before they come clean.

Thinking it might be unnecessary to do that with these.

What has been the experience with others with these radiators are they all really clean?

The radiators are pre-cleaned from the factory so there is no need to flush them as you have discovered yourself. If you really want to make sure the rads are clean you could rinse them off with distilled the way you said you did.

Lots of people make grave error by flushing with tap water, which results with chlorine and scale deposits.

Don't use vinegar as it is very corrosive towards soft metals usually found in radiators (solder tin, brazing material, brass, copper) unless you're an expert and you really know what you're doing and you have desperately dirty radiator. Most people tend to forget once the reaction starts it's not so easy to suppress it without pH balancing agent. When using vinegar (again, I really discourage it, especially on the brand new unused stuff) it is very important to properly flush it with distilled water. I mean properly. Half a galon, if not a galon at least!