Corsair Community

Click noise from XC7

Before I open a ticket I wanted to try the forums first. I'm having a strange issue with the XC7 block. Whenever there is temperature variation, especially when turning the computer on or off, the XC7 block will randomly make a click sound. The clicking noise is plasticky and continues until the temp is seemingly stabilized. At first I thought it was the radiator but not so. It appears to be coming from the plastic XC7 trim/shroud whenever there is thermal expansion/contraction. It's very annoying and quite audible. It's not the pump or air bubbles. It will even click when the computer is off while it's cooling down. I'm using hardline fittings. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix? Edited by HydroAmd

It could be one of your fans, probably the noise is coming from one spinning faster when the temps go up, the water block is.........well, solid with a bunch screws holding it in place. All 4 screws are all the way in, on the water block that is?

Or probably from the chipset fan.

Edited by Nazgul

The noise isn't coming from the fans. It will occur after the computer is shut down with no power while it's still cooling down. The noise is 100% coming from the XC7, either the block itself or the plastic trim piece. I have literally felt the vibration from the click while holding it. The four post screws are all tight.

From the CPU block? That is strange. There really shouldn't be any expansion/contraction when transitioning between a 25-35C temp range for coolant, but I am not sure where else to assign blame. I suppose the other possibility is the mounting posts and there is too much tension at one corner, but all of these seem so improbable. Are you able to narrow down the origin within the CPU block? Nylon/plastic clear top vs outer ring?

Agreed. But it does happen both on the expansion and contraction. I don't believe it's coming from the nylon block itself. Or the posts/mount as they're metal and don't seem to touch the plastic. I can recreate the sound by pressing around the plastic trim ring in various places but I can't determine exactly where it's coming from when it happens. Could the hardline fittings be too tight? I can see some movement when I press on the plastic trim near a fitting so I don't believe that's it. I wonder if the trim can be reseated but no idea how to do that.

The trim does come off and it is a clean and easy procedure. However, you obviously have to remove the block to do this. First access point is to loosen the plate screws on the back. Then it comes apart into the cold plate, jet plate, and trim pieces. There is sort of reference to this in the instructions regarding turning the plastic shell for orientation purposes.

If I kind of push/pull with my finger on the black plastic shell, I do hear a little tick or click. It is soft and never does this on its own. Perhaps your hunch is right and the hard line tubes are exerting some measure of pressure against the block. I am using soft and my tension points are in the middle of the curve, rather than on the block.

Update: I loosened one of the fittings (bitspower) and it seems to have resolved the clicking. The fitting wasn't even that tight, finger tight. Is this normal? Now I'm wary that the fitting is too loose and could ultimately leak. Thinking about RMA. It shouldn't click no matter how tight the fitting is.

I could take a picture and/or video but I would need to tighten it back up again.

2nd Update: clicking was almost eliminated so I tried to loosen a bit more but then felt a leak so I tightened it back up. Good news, I tightened the fitting to original tightness (where it should be) and captured a video. This is me shutting the computer down, clicks start ~30 secs. Why is the XC7 trim plastic and XC9 aluminum? And how is no one else having this problem? Some air got in during my fitting loosening escapade; ignore it. [ame]https://youtu.be/-wn5JjoUajU[/ame] Edited by HydroAmd

I think it might be pump overpressure causing this and the partial pressures equalizing after shutdown. Since you're using hard tubing it might be that the block is actually returning to original state.

Remember, nylon 'breaths' meaning it will flex but never crack as it is probably the most durable polymer for this application. And since the plastic trim is attached to the nylon cover it might be just that.

XC9 is a premium finish variant hence it uses aluminum trim. The latter is quite more expensive.

I guess it's that one in a million case... It's hard to say what actually causes this, I can only offer logical explanation. I haven't personally even see a case like that and I have had over 300 (yes, three hundred) XC7/XC9 blocks in hand.

Best Regards,

Niko

It's notoriously hard to replicate this occurrence. Can you show a picture of your system?

I still believe it has something to do with nylon flow chamber flexing under differential pressure change upon shutdown.

The other reason could the (hard) tubing is on too tight from one component to the other applying compression force, pressing against the flow chamber while also slightly flexing the cosmetic trim.

As the system is turned off the system will try to enter equilibrium state. As nylon is softer it will adapt to pressure changes by releasing internal pressure, unlike acrylic. The plastic, which was under compression pressure, will try to relaxate internal pressure by entering natural unstressed state. This is why you might hear a click - there's something holding the plastic trim down when in operation and when it relaxes the pressure induced on the trim also subsides. The click is the return of the plastic to the original state.

Again, this is all speculation as it's nearly impossible to replicate this.

Ofcorse I can make a picture of may build, but i think the problem is temperature based.

Wen i turn the pc on, the temperature goes up, then the Cooler beginns klicking.

Sorry for my bad English,im from Germany and hope you can understand nevertheless.

I think its because there are to difrend materials and when te temperature increase they begin to breathe different to each other , and that is what making the noise.

The important thing for me is , that the cooler don't beginns to leake after a time.

Bevor i forgot my system is soft tubed but the cpu is a 3900x...

There is some really expansive hardware build in that system and because of that i getting nervous a little.

Edited by DOC-HOLYWOOD

You can write german original next to the english (if the rules of the forum allow for that, IDK), I will understand you perfectly.

Yeah, this clicking is for sure related either to pressure or temperature (or of course both as we know pressure, volume and temperature are correlated), however it will not cause leaking, ever. This is nylon flow chamber we're talking about, it is softer than acrylic but has outstanding creep and ESC resistance. You will experience no cracking with these products.

Tiborrr, interesting thoughts. Although I can replicate it every day :)

You may be on to something but in my case it's 100% related to the heat/cool cycle of the block itself. It clicks just like the video after the computer is turned on for the day and starts to warm up. Then when shut down, does the same thing. More of an annoyance than anything. What do you mean by the hard tubing may be on too tight from one component to the next? I just have the tubing bottomed out in the fitting. I have the loop apart now as I'm going to redo some runs so I'll play around with the Xc7 runs.

Surprising that apparently very few are having this problem? Or maybe they think it's normal? IMO, this is a design defect.

If the trim were aluminum, this wouldn't occur (like XC9). Corsair, how can I obtain the aluminum trim for the XC7? The part is $5 more expensive... Here, take my $5.

Edited by HydroAmd

I have been noticing a clicking sound as of late from the GPU area, basically when the water temperature is completely saturated and under load. Oddly enough I was convinced it was GPU coil whine however I will inspect further tonight.

• 1 month later...
If I have to hear this XC7 click one more time, I think I might just rip it out of my computer. I exchanged the first one with the retailer and the second does the same thing. I've change the fittings and am no longer using an extension. Just two Bitspower hardline, no difference.

Just for info, new build here since a few days.

I have the same "clicks" with soft tubing.

I was thinking about ventilator (plastic) in contact with radiator (metal) ...then i saw this post ;-)

It's very light for me and also sure i can hear it because ventilators are slow and there is no noise. In a normal system (not watercooled) i'm pretty sure I cannot hear this kind of click.

I haven't try to identify the root cause because it's not too disturbing but now i will folllow this thread.

Interesting that you have it with soft tubing as well. Good to know that it's not related to the hardline fittings or acrylic tubing.

This noise is 100% coming from the Hydro X XC7 CPU block during expansion/contraction. Do you have any suggestions for us, Corsair?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring as well. I notice the same click on my CPU xc7 block as well. Nothing nearly as frequent or annoying as the OP and it happens randomly where a single click can be heard. I also think it has something to do with the material expanding/contracting.

The one thing I didn't notice on the thread (unless I missed it) was the thermal paste. I used the preapplied paste on this one against my better judgement. I wonder if the heat is causing the block to "scrape" (not the best word) against the hardened thermal material. Im going to take the block off and clean it and apply a fresh compound to see if that has any effect in the next day or two and will report back.

I have a feeling it wont make a difference, but at least it's something to try and eliminate as a reason if anything.

Interesting thought about the block scraping. I also have the pre-applied thermal paste on mine. Please let us know the results after you change out the thermal paste.

I believe this to be a design defect. Corsair isn't saying or doing anything about it. I have a support ticket opened and they haven't even replied to it once. The XC7 is warranted for three years so this should be fun.