Corsair Community

some LED strips wont switch back on after restart or waking from sleep

MarkJG017

I have recently installed the LS100 starter kit. I had it configured to use the video lighting but I currently have it set to static colour while I try to troubleshoot this issue. Basically when the PC first boots up (or wakes up from sleep) the first strip connected to the controller switches on but the rest don't. I have it set to turn off the strips (Hardware lighting RGB set to 0) when the PC is off or asleep.

I've noticed that when this occurs if I disconnect the connector between the first and second strip and reconnect it, all 4 strips then work normally. I initially thought it must be some sort of loose connection but it appears to happen every time the PC boots or wakes up. Going into iCUE and playing with the settings/manually setting LEDs seems to do nothing on strips 2, 3, and 4 until I manually disconnect and reconnect the join between the first and second strips.

I've updated the iCUE software just in case but my RAM and case fans work perfectly so I'm assuming it's not and issue with iCUE but i'm really at a loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update in case anyone has similar issues, I completely disassembled the kit and tested each strip individually. One long strip seemed to not light up completely but then did so I reconnected everything and now it works except the bottom strip, which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Which I assume was up the top (2nd in the chain) the first time I had it all connected so when it was playing up the last 2 strips which were connected after it also failed.

Anyway, I've arranged for a replacement set so hopefully that resolves it.

• 1 month later...

I am sending back my second kit today in 2 months. And i found the issue with the kit. It is a rather stupid issue, but i asked some other people.

The issue is with the packing of the starter kit. The box damages the strip who is bended the most. After my first kit i labeled the items to see where it came from in the package. And again 1 of the two long strips where damaged at the same point of the first damaged. When the strips are packaged one of the two is slightly more bended in the box, damaging it at the bending postition. And i think all kits have the same issue over time.

It will start to break down after a couple of days or weeks. The expansion kits do not have that issue.

What also is an issue, when one of the strips is damaged this way, it also kill's the controller in some circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...
I am sending back my second kit today in 2 months. And i found the issue with the kit. It is a rather stupid issue, but i asked some other people.

What you say is the best explanation I've heard yet. I did send my first kit back and got a replacement and it worked for a few days. So I changed the static lighting to the ambient lighting and it worked again for a day or so but then it just would continuously freeze up and the light strips would stop responding. Even switching back to static colour lighting resulted in the same random (but frequent) unresponsiveness. I could have sent the 2nd kit back for a replacement as well but with a complete loss of trust in the product and the mounting shipping costs I just sent it back to where I got it from and got a refund.

Maybe the light strips should be made with a solid base although I realise this may make it tricky to install on some (non-flat backed) monitors. The first kit I had definitely had a faulty LED strip, the 2nd one... who knows... I put it down to the software or the controller box freezing up but another faulty strip could have made it seem that way or killed it as you have suggested.

If you're getting another replacement hopefully you can get it working, it was a nice piece of kit when the ambient lighting worked on occasion.