Corsair Community

hydro x xd5 + GPU cooling only

emdroid

Hey everyone,

Decided to start slowly building a Hydro X setup, although currently only am going to liquid cool the gpu. Eventually will add another radiator and a cpu block to the setup.

So currently I have the XD5, a 280mm Corsair Radiator, and a EKWB Radeon VII waterblock.

My question is can I use this setup without a Commander Pro? (Currently don't care about RGB).. how would I go about plugging in the fans/pump?

The Prime X370 Pro has a AIO Pump connector, can I use this for the GPU and plug the radiator fans into the case fan inputs or should I be using a different fan input?

As well for the thermostat, the motherboard has the T_Sensor input, can I use that?

or is everything proprietary and I have to get the Commander Pro?

Thank you so much

Yes, you can use this setup without a Commander Pro, although you will need to setup your pump speed in motherboard BIOS. Yes, the temperature probe is compatible2 with ASUS onboard T_sensor socket.

Using a Commander Pro is just a much simpler way to go, although there is an alternative like described above.

Thank you tiborrr for the quick reply, I really appreciate it! I definitely want to pick up a Commander Pro at some point because of the simplicity but that is what I was currently worried about in terms of fan/pump speed..

Since At this time I'll be using bios, is there a specific setting I should be using for the pump?

Also if I may ask, If I was to add a cpu block to the loop, will the 140mm be sufficient for a 2700x (coupled with the 280mm) or should I be adding another 280?

Yes, you can use this setup without a Commander Pro, although you will need to setup your pump speed in motherboard BIOS. Yes, the temperature probe is compatible2 with ASUS onboard T_sensor socket.

Using a Commander Pro is just a much simpler way to go, although there is an alternative like described above.

Edited by emdroid

I would say a XR5 280 is a minimum for a 2700X + Radeon VII, your system might be a tad on the loud side. What kind of case do you have? I would recommend getting another 280 and a XC7 RGB water block if you have the chance for sure.

Commander PRO has all the Hydro X presets already integrated and does ramping up/down automatically without user intervention.

If you choose to go BIOS route for now I'd make sure to set fans to ramp up according to water temperature and set pump to run at the speed of your liking (50% might be OK).

Let me know if you need any assistance! :)

A really good rule of thumb is a 1x240mm rad per component in the loop. This can be adjusted up or down for taste but it is a good starting point.

My personal rule is 1x360mm per component, not because I need if for cooling, but it reduces fan speeds which then makes my system quieter. This is one of the main reasons I went custom cooling with my new rig with 3x360mm rads, though it does run a lot cooler, especially the GPU, it is so quiet even at load (Prime95+Furmark) my NAS is still louder. It is over kill, but when I game my ML120 Pro RGB fans rarely hit 1000rpm, and they are not the best rad fans due to their lower pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply. The case I am using is the Corsair Air 540 and decided to go with the Commander Pro and glad I actually did. Definitely makes everything much easier to work with.

So far with the 280mm radiator, the Radeon VII has amazing results and I haven't been able to get it past 75 degrees even when overclocking and runs quiet too..

I am running 2x ML140 fans on the radiator, have 3x Arctic F12 on the front and 1x F14 at the back.. all running low rpms which are dead silent..

If I added a 360mm radiator to the loop to add the cpu, and maybe add a vrm block as well, would that be good or should I just stick with a smaller rad in this case?

• Corsair Employee

An additional 360mm radiator would add great cooling potential to add the CPU water block to the loop but I believe you'll not be able to install it together with an existing 280mm radiator.

I assume you have the existing 280mm radiator on top?

I would try to add a 280mm or 240mm radiator on the bottom or front.