Corsair Community

Uninstalling the H60 - what precautious to take?

kimmetje

Hi guys,

Not planning to return the H60, I assure you!

I unfortunately damaged my motherboard but my supplier is kind enough to offer me a replacement of the damaged part.

As a result I need to take out the processor and the cooler. But having never done either of these operations before I'm a little scared!

I was wondering if there any special precautions I need to take to uninstall my H60?

Will the pre-applied thermal paste still work if I reapply the H60 once I have reinstalled the processor back in its place?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Forgot to mention I intend to use the same processor since the only faulty part is the Mobo - do I still need to reapply a layer of paste in this case?

Absolutly! Clean the old off with a little bit of Isopropyl Alcohol and same with the surface of the H-60 . The apply some fresh compound . There are many different ways to apply TIM, may want to check manufacturers website for the compound to see what they suggest if you do not have your own method that you prefer.

Arctic Silver 5 is a highly rated TIM. There are better TIMs out there nowadays but AS5 will get the job done and is fairly cheap. It is slightly conductive so don't get it anywhere except for on the CPU heatspreader. There are instructions of how to apply it on their website. I prefer to spread a thin layer using a razor blade.

Of course if you ask ten different people what TIM to use and how to apply it you will probably get ten different answers!

Haha, I hear you! I've ordered it, alongside the cleaning product, and took the opportunity of having to replace one item to order a 16GB set of RAM.

Can I ask you all a follow-up question?

I have bought the NZXT Phantom 410 case, and am planning to have it cooled with the case fans in combination with a Corsair H60 water cooler. The Corsair manuals all say to put to radiator and the fan facing the back of the case but it's my understanding that my case has a dedicated spot for this on the top of the case.

Hence my question, what is the best location for my fans and H60?

My hypothesis is to leave the included case fans in their current locations and to place the H60 radiator and fan in the top next the already included 140mm top exhaust fan.

For those not familiar with the case, it has 2 140mm fans at the top, one of which is included and is set for exhaust, it has one rear 120mm fan included also set for exhaust, it has one 120mm fan included in the front set for intake.

The H60 has its 120mm fan and the radiator is 120mm x 152mm x 27mm.

In case this is useful, I have the PSU fan pointing donwards and out of the case, and the graphics card I will have is a MSI 560-GTX Ti Hawk with the Frozer III cooling system from MSI.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I own the original Phantom case, and also use a H60 in it. My case also is designed to mount a radiator in the top. The specs for our cases state there is room for a 240mm, dual 120mm fan radiator. So you would think fitting a smaller, single fan radiator would be possible too. It is possible, but I didn't like it, but that is just my opinion. Two brackets are attached to the top of the case, and a 240mm radiator is connected to them in the middle of the radiator with four screws, and is a solid mount. A H60 radiator would attach to those brackets with two screws on one end of the radiator. It works but is not quite as solid.

I mounted my H60 in the usual location, on the top rear fan vent. I have it set up as push-pull, with shrouds, which does not work as well with the top mount radiator.

Don't let me stop you from mounting the radiator in the top position, I'm sure it will work fine, but was just not right with my minor mods to the H60. You'll want to have a 140mm fan set to exhaust just above the H60 radiator, which will pull the warm air from it right out of the case.

Archived