Corsair Community

Intermittent Lockups

lexxtia

Greetings,

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find the reason for this, so here goes:

Jan 7th of 2012, I purchased a CSSD-P128GBP-BK and perfomed a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64. Everything has been running great up until this last month where I started getting random lock ups; no bsod, no dumpfile, no event log, nothing to track the reasoning behind it, the screen just hard locks, and I cant even move my mouse.

I did a clean install the other night and updated everything on the system I could, and I still get random lock ups. I have an old IDE 600GB drive that I clean installed as well to test my hardware, and so far I have not had any lock ups at all.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to replace / return this drive as its been great up until now if I can avoid it. Thanks.

It might be stupid but...

Is it only your mouse which seems to be locked or not? Is it the same with your keyboard (e.g. from time to time you cannot enter text in a notepad)?

Do you have a wireless mouse/keyboard?

If so, take a try with a non wireless mouse (or replace batteries and resynchronize mouse/keyboard). This already happened to me after an update...

Hoping this may help!

With kind regards

It might be stupid but...

Is it only your mouse which seems to be locked or not? Is it the same with your keyboard (e.g. from time to time you cannot enter text in a notepad)?

Do you have a wireless mouse/keyboard?

If so, take a try with a non wireless mouse (or replace batteries and resynchronize mouse/keyboard). This already happened to me after an update...

Hoping this may help!

With kind regards

When it happens, both mouse and keyboard are unresponsive, and no they are not wireless. If I happen to be in a program of some kind, it becomes unresponsive.

-Latest BIOS? Drivers?

-Tried a different SATA data cable?

-Does the HD light stay solid?

-Does it freeze when Windows is accessing or reading files from the drive?

I do have the latest drivers yes, but not to my BIOS; that is something I have not done yet is flash to the latest version. The version I am on is:

- P6T6 WS Revolution formal release BIOS 0311, and it looks like they are on P6T6 WS Revolution formal released BIOS version 0905; I will update to this

I have tried a different sata cable with no change

The LED on the front of the tower I have not paid attention to on what it is doing while it locks up, I will monitor it. While writing this post, it appears to be blinking randomly

It just locked up while I was browsing this forum. During that time, all I had running was IE, and the hard disk did not appear to be reading or accessing any files from the drive during that time. This was about 2 minutes after accessing this website of being idle.

That is one consistancy I am seeing; It locks up once a day when I turn on the PC, but never more than once a day no matter how many times I power down the PC that same day.

Join the club ... I'm about ready to use my SSD for target practice. I have all the latest motherboard upgrades / drivers etc. and the latest firmware and it still randomly locks up just like you describe. Usually I discover the lockup when I click an icon or go to do something and it is completely non-responsive. Can't even click on the Start button to shut it down ... have to do a hard power down holding the power button down.

Never never had this kind of stuff with platter drives.

• Corsair Employee

lexxtia

That sounds more like the system is hard locking and may be for some other reason. Can you test the SSD on another system?

And Arizona Willie I see you have more than one drive are you using them in RAID? Have you tried the system with just one drive in AHCI Mode?

Bios now updated to most recent version. It has already locked up today, so I don't expect this to happen until tomorrow. I will post my findings tomorrow if it locks up again.

looks like it locked up again while typing an email.

Join the club ... I'm about ready to use my SSD for target practice. I have all the latest motherboard upgrades / drivers etc. and the latest firmware and it still randomly locks up just like you describe. Usually I discover the lockup when I click an icon or go to do something and it is completely non-responsive. Can't even click on the Start button to shut it down ... have to do a hard power down holding the power button down.

Never never had this kind of stuff with platter drives.

yep same here. im going to throw on my old hdd and find another system to test this drive with.

lexxtia

That sounds more like the system is hard locking and may be for some other reason. Can you test the SSD on another system?

And Arizona Willie I see you have more than one drive are you using them in RAID? Have you tried the system with just one drive in AHCI Mode?

i hope its another reason and not the drive. im going to see if i can get another system to test it on while putting my old hdd back in for now. also the ssd is running in ide mode. should i try installing it in ahci mode?

• Corsair Employee
Yes you can but that alone should not cause the system to lock up it will only affect some of the features. I have SSD's running on systems in IDE mode and never had an issue with that. But it would not hurt to try it. Also besides the MB BIOS make sure that you have the latest Chipset drivers installed.

No, those two drives are data drives and they were in a RAID 0 array in my old computer. When I built this one I formatted them and am using them as single drives now.

I set this computer up with programs and data on a platter drive in order to save space on the SSD, except for a few programs like Office. So I can't very well run it with only the SSD because that basically has the OS and little else which I use.

AHCI mode is on in the BIOS.

lexxtia

Yes you can but that alone should not cause the system to lock up it will only affect some of the features. I have SSD's running on systems in IDE mode and never had an issue with that. But it would not hurt to try it. Also besides the MB BIOS make sure that you have the latest Chipset drivers installed.

I will do both, as i'm not 100% certain that my chipset drivers are updated. Going to switch to AHCI in bios and fresh install windows 7 again, as well as update the chipset drivers after it is installed.

I will do both, as i'm not 100% certain that my chipset drivers are updated. Going to switch to AHCI in bios and fresh install windows 7 again, as well as update the chipset drivers after it is installed.

I didn't end up going to AHCI just yet, however I updated the chipset.

Let's see if I get another system lock.

I didn't end up going to AHCI just yet, however I updated the chipset.

Let's see if I get another system lock.

Okay just locked up again browsing the internet...sigh.

I was monitoring the temperatures of my CPU, and 2 Video cards, and they appeared to be normal as it locked up (idle video is at 68c, idle cpu at 46c). When playing games, I have seen the video cards shoot up to 75c or so and have been okay.

Well I can format again under AHCI and try that.

So now I am in AHCI mode, fresh install, updated chipset, drivers, yada yada. I ran into this post while browsing:

Since I have set this registry key (and therefore disabled DIPM/HIPM), I have no longer noticed any freezes - however I'm not sure if it really works because I'm unable to "trigger" them ...

I went ahead and did this fix while I had the chance as well. Lets see how this goes.

Got another system lock this morning. Came here to read messages, right clicked on three and said to open in a new tab in Chrome and it sat there saying " loading ... " and doing nothing else. Finally the loading animation stopped too and I had to do a hard power down again.

Fortunately, this time it only took two restarts to get it to run again -- for awhile.

I have Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a SATA3 platter drive and I am going to just disconnect this SSD with Windows 7 and try to run with Windows 8 and forget this SSD.

Not worth the time and hassle. COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE.

I will keep an eye on the board and see if they ever bother to release another firmware upgrade and if it does any good .. or Corsair just moves on and pretends these drives never happened.

People have been more than patient with these POS.

Corsair should be sued == class action. Any lawyers here?

Got another system lock this morning. Came here to read messages, right clicked on three and said to open in a new tab in Chrome and it sat there saying " loading ... " and doing nothing else. Finally the loading animation stopped too and I had to do a hard power down again.

Fortunately, this time it only took two restarts to get it to run again -- for awhile.

I have Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a SATA3 platter drive and I am going to just disconnect this SSD with Windows 7 and try to run with Windows 8 and forget this SSD.

Not worth the time and hassle. COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE.

I will keep an eye on the board and see if they ever bother to release another firmware upgrade and if it does any good .. or Corsair just moves on and pretends these drives never happened.

People have been more than patient with these POS.

Corsair should be sued == class action. Any lawyers here?

Sorry to hear that. Luckily I have enough patience to try everything under the sun. I really want to believe there is something else causing this and not a defective drive. So far I haven't locked up yet...knock on wood. I normally lock up by now after a few minutes of just random browsing.

I'm not sure if this matters or not, but I will post some tiny differences with what is going on now. I only have 2 sata cables, so I only have 2 devices plugged in at any given time; it is generally the hard drive, and a dvdrom. Originally when I didn't have my SSD drive, I used a 600GB 7200 WD drive and my dvdrom. The WD drive was partitioned in half, so I would store just my apps on the C: drive, and hard data on the D: drive. What I have been doing since I've installed the SSD drive is update everything I needed to using the dvdrom, then disconnecting the dvdrom and attaching the WD hard drive to the second sata cable, so in essence I would have 2 hard drives and no dvdrom. So far I haven't done this yet, and just have the SSD connected with the dvdrom.

Also, I have never updated to SP1, and unsure if I even need to. I'm also running IE8 instead of IE9 this time.

If things stay stable for longer than 2 days I will flip back to that setup and see how things go.

lexxtia -- when mine works I get read / write over 500 both ways.

As long as it works it's fantastic.

When it doesn't work -- not so much.

Yesterday I pulled the SSD and moved my platter drive with Windows 8 to SATA port 1 where the SSD had been plugged in.

So far, not one hiccup.

There is a possibility I might have a defective power supply though. When I start the computer ( cold boot ) the fans come on then stop then start and sometimes they do that 2 or 3 times where it sounds like they stop completely other times it sounds like they just slow down.

I'm checking with the power supply outfit and may swap that out. But the ASUS monitoring software has never given me an alarm about low or high voltage so I'm somewhat puzzled about that.

It could be that the SSD is EXTREMELY sensitive to voltage and a fluctuation that a platter drive doesn't even notice causes the SSD to freeze.

Fortunately Windows 8 boots much faster than Windows 7 cause it uses the hibernate file to boot from as long as there have not been any changes ( at least that's the way I understand it ). Thus it's like waking up the computer from sleeping instead of going through the whole boot up process.

Only problem is transferring all the data from the Windows 7 setup into Windows 8. I had just been playing with it .. not seriously using it before but now I'm just going to go ahead and use it for my OS and see what happens.

A lot of people have switched because Windows 8 has been so stable ( it basically seems to be a User Interface enhancement to Windows 7 plus changes to the memory manager so that it handles apps and programs like Android does. You don't need to quit programs, the OS just puts them inactive unless the memory they use is needed.

I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than that. But all the old familiar Windows 7 stuff seems to still be there under the hood .. Control Panel .. Device Manager etc etc.

Anyway, time will tell about the SSD and the power supply.

I hope it IS the power supply. Would like to be able to put the SSD back in use.

I was looking at a possible power issue, but haven't been able to come up with any conclusions there. I'm not getting any fan / fluctuation issues that I can see anyway since all the fans and components do not seem to be slowing down or anything like that.

I haven't locked up yet, and am using both drives instead of the ssd / dvdrom combo. This is much longer than the daily lockup that was going on.

Things I have not done to the setup I've had before so far is:

- Update to the latest nvidia drivers (currently using stock windows driver WDDM v1.1, version: 8.15.11.8593...I hope the video card(s) aren't the issue)

- Update to IE9

So far so good

So I finally decided to upgrade from the windows 7 built in video driver to the latest Nvidia drivers, which is 296.10...sure enough after rebooting, the system locked up within a minute or so. It looks like that may have been the culprit the whole time. I reverted back to the windows driver until I can find a stable driver.

Archived