The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Dhersneg's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727126
Dhersneg Reputation: 10
Exclamation K70 RGB / KVM issue

Recently took receipt of a K70 RGB keyboard. The keyboard seems fully functional when plugged directly into my PC. It is recognized by the software and I successfully updated the firmware to the latest.

However, when trying to connect the K70 RGB through an IOGear GCS932UB KVM (http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS932UB/) it doesn't work. I can get the lights to light up but the no keys are registered. The software also doesn't register the presence of a keyboard. This is a KVM that is known to be fully functional. I've used for a 2 years or so with quite a few other keyboards (other manufacturers) with no issues at all. Since the KVM does not provide an additional USB port (other than one for the keyboard and mouse each) I've plugged the additional "surprise" K70 RGB connector (the one not marked with a keyboard) into my primary PC directly.

I have tried changing the BIOS setting to each of the available settings but with no luck at all. (A separate issues is that changing the BIOS setting results in the keyboard lights changing intensity for each keypress when plugged directly into my PC.)

Anyone else successfully using a KVM with this keyboard? If so what KVM are you using? Or do I possibly have a faulty unit (especially considering the varying led intensity in the various BIOS modes)? Thoughts?

Old 09-11-2014, 06:57 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 727163
Corsair James Reputation: 75

HI Dhersneg, we don't recommend using our USB keyboards on KVM switches as we don't test the keyboards with it. Some KVM switches may work with the keyboard in BIOS mode (which deactivates features on the keyboard like the 104-key rollover) but there is no guarantee as there also is a chance that the KVM switch may also not be supplying enough power to the keyboard.

The BIOS switch also shouldn't affect the intensity of the LEDs as all it does is change the polling rate. However, when you switch it to a different setting, the keyboard will actually do a reboot (no different than unplugging and replugging a USB cable).

I recommend that to use this keyboard, you plug the aux USB cable in first and then follow with the keyboard USB directly to your PC rather than the KVM.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Bugsbunny's PC Specs

POST ID # = 758514
Bugsbunny Reputation: 10
Haha! K70 RGB working though KVM switch in Dell U3415W monitor

I was a bit concerned when I read that the K70 RGB might not work through a KVM switch, as one of the reasons I had just upgraded my monitor to the new Dell U3415W was that it was advertised as being able to be used with a single keyboard and mouse to operate two PCs. I was therefore very relieved to get my K70 RGB working in that fashion, though I wasn't having any joy until I connected the keyboard's secondary (power) USB. Thankfully the monitor had sufficient USB sockets - which I think are all USB 3.0.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 758532
terabyte Reputation: 73

If the USB ports are 3.0 then only 1 should be enough (the one with a keyboard symbol). Using both may actually cause issues. Maybe the ports are 2.0?

Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Bugsbunny's PC Specs

POST ID # = 758538
Confused

That's what I thought at first, which is why I was disappointed when it didn't work for me straight away with just the 'keyboard' USB plugged in.

Perhaps the keyboard needs the extra bit of power from the second USB as I think the downstream USB ports on the monitor might be powered by the upstream USB cables from each of the computers. The Dell user guide isn't as detailed as I would like, but it does say that the downstream USB ports (other than a separate fast charging port on the back) have a maximum power consumption of 4.5W

I've only had the configuration working for a few hours, so I'm sure there's more to learn. At the moment for example, the keyboard switches to another (non-default) profile when I switch between PCs - but that could be due to my lack of full understanding of the Utility Engine default settings!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:49 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 758540

Oh, that's possible. The monitor might pass less power than a normal USB 3.0 port and thus you need both just like for 2.0.

For the default profile, have you tried to save your default CUE profile to the onboard memory of the keyboard? If you have chosen a default profile in CUE but haven't saved it to the keyboard when CUE is not running it will default to the default profile saved on the onboard memory. That might be why you see the switch to a different profile.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Bugsbunny's PC Specs

POST ID # = 758557

Thanks for that advice terabyte - I'll certainly give it a go. That's as soon as I've worked out how to do it.

Having just built my first custom PC, I'm finding a few interesting challenges along the way as I try to get it to function well with my new (complex) keyboard and monitor - and all in parallel with my faithful old Dell Dimension 9200!

At least I've proved along the way that the K70 RGB will work with at least one KVM arrangement (albeit integrated in a brand new monitor)!

Old 02-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Bugsbunny's PC Specs

POST ID # = 758562

Hi again terabyte.

I tried saving the profile to onboard memory but still changes when I switch from the old PC (which the keyboard was originally set up on) to the new one - but not vice versa.

Not a major problem, but will persevere in due course!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:18 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 758584

I'll let you know if I can think of anything else, not having the keyboard I can only say things I've read before. Still waiting for my K70 RGB Brown to ship :\

Old 02-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Bugsbunny's PC Specs

POST ID # = 762924
Happy

Things seem to have settled down now and my chosen keyboard profile is being retained when I switch between PCs in either direction - without me having to change anything else.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 762925

Great, thanks for the update

Old 02-27-2015, 12:28 AM
Budi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 763002
Budi Reputation: 10

I'm using K70 with a cheap KVM switch and it works just fine. Only issue is when I turn on my UPS without turning on PC in 30 seconds, the keyboard will go into demo mode. I assume it's because the PC's USB I plug my KVM to got power through after I turn on the UPS. Or might also got to do with high power USB (charging mode). Anyway, the KVM works, no problem with switching PC with different profiles. Cheers.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:54 PM

POST ID # = 850041
Voodoo262 Reputation: 10

Sorry for the old thread bump, but I am looking to add a KVM to my current setup and I want to know if anyone sees any potential issues with what I'm planning on doing.

The KVM I'd like to buy only has two USB ports (not sure which version, but my assumption is that they are 2.0). I will need one for my mouse and one for my keyboard. I am currently typing on my K70 RGB... I have the supplemental "power-only" USB cable plugged into a USB cell phone charger (5.0V 2.0A) to provide constant power to the keyboard, and I have the data USB cable for the keyboard plugged into a USB extension so I can easily switch it between the two computers I will be hooking up to the KVM. I can switch the data cable back and forth between the two computers and the keyboard seems to transition seamlessly, so I would assume the KVM won't have any problems switching either.

I guess my question is this: Will it damage the keyboard if I have it connected to a constant power source on the "power-only" plug when there is no power on the "data" plug? Both computers will likely be in suspend mode when I'm away so I want to make sure that the USB charger doesn't damage the keyboard. Also, any foreseeable issues using a USB charger to provide constant power for extended periods of time?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 05-01-2016, 05:13 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team

POST ID # = 850109
Inheritance Reputation: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo262 View Post
I guess my question is this: Will it damage the keyboard if I have it connected to a constant power source on the "power-only" plug when there is no power on the "data" plug? Both computers will likely be in suspend mode when I'm away so I want to make sure that the USB charger doesn't damage the keyboard. Also, any foreseeable issues using a USB charger to provide constant power for extended periods of time?

Thanks,
Rob
It shouldnt damage the keyboard, but the keyboard might not work as intended.
I AM NO LONGER SUPER ACTIVE ON THIS FORUM PLEASE PM ME ON DISCORD

Old 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM

POST ID # = 850249
Voodoo262 Reputation: 10

Just a quick update... I decided to pull the trigger on the KVM I wanted, an IOGEAR GCS22U.

With the keyboard's supplemental power cable plugged into the USB phone charger, and the keyboard's data cable plugged into the keyboard port of the KVM, I can switch seamlessly between my two computers and the keyboard seems to be working normally. It automatically switches profiles too when it connects to the new computer.

I haven't tested trying to get into the BIOS yet but that'll be a project for a different day. Polling rate is still set to default (1). I don't change my CMOS settings often and I have no problems plugging in a different keyboard temporarily to do it.

Now to hide all these cables!

Tags
k70 rgb, kvm