Corsair Community

Commander Pro Question

braingone

I am trying to build my first PC with water cooling and I searched the forums but still a little unsure about the commander pro.

I am running 6 RGB LL120 Fans and a D5 pump for watercooling. I understand that I plug the 6 RGB control connectors into the RGB fan LED hub and then that connects to the Commander Pro. Then the PWM/Power connectors connect to the Commander pro via the 1-6 ports. I understand that the D5 Pump has to connect to port 6 so how do I go about connecting the last PWM connector for fan 6?

Am I suppose to daisy chain another Commander pro and then only have a connection for port 6 for the D5 pump? This may be possible for me as a friend has an extra commander pro.

Also once all connected do I only need to plug in only one sata connector to the power supply and one to the usb 2.0 header on the motherboard?

Sorry if this has been answered but I looked all over the forums and I just dont feel comfortable with all these wires :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

First, what D5 pump are you talking about? The Corsair pump? Something else? It does make a difference; if the D5 pump is powered from the fan header (as oppose to just control), then it's probably best not to put it on the Commander Pro.

Second, you can use 2-way splitters to free up a port.

And yes, the Commander Pro only has 1 SATA power connection and 1 USB connection.

You could connect the pump's tach/PWM wire connector to the MB, but you would then loose your ability to control it from the software. It's also not necessary. Connect it to C-Pro fan port #6. Get a simple 2 way PWM splitter and pair off any two of the other LL fans to the splitter. They can share a fan header without issue as the motor current of 2 x 0.30A is less than the 1A per header limit. Also, since the pump does not pull power from its control line to the Commander Pro, you haven't increased the total device current either.

You can always ask more questions here. Also, we all have the same issue with the 6 fans and Commander Pro + Hydro X Pump. If you have a custom loop, you probably have more than 5 fans. I run my 6 LL120 + pump the same way with one splitter.

I'll throw this out now because it will come up later... when you first boot up the OS and then later install iCUE for control, go to the Settings (top bar of app), then click on the Commander Pro. You will see a selector of Auto/3 pin (DC)/4 pin (PWM). You must set the #6 an header (or whichever is connected to the pump) to 4 pin in order for it to be detected. Auto will not work. While there, set them all to 4 pin for the LL. When on Auto, the fan controller will do a fan test on every boot up. You may recognize that as the 'fan blast' you hear when powering on. That isn't necessary for PWM fans and when set to 4 pin they will start at their assigned speeds.