Corsair Community

External Commander Pro?

jwilds1

Has anyone done this?

I purchased these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V6WD8A - USB single row header to USB-A Male adapter

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVRS38G - External SATA Power Supply

I'm hearing the USB connection sound when I plug it in, but iCUE is not finding it. I've restarted the PC while connected and it's still not appearing in iCUE.

The internal Commander Pro is recognized and functioning fine.

USBDeview - https://imgur.com/a/yLak0bH

Unlike many of the other devices, the CoPro uses both USB ports on the header. So if you don't see the CoPro on one row, put the header into the other row (port) ... one of the ports is for the CoPro and it's MCU and the other is for the USB hub.

Getting closer, but still didn't work.

I cleaned out a lot of junk in USBDeView, and I can now actively see the hub portion connect and disconnect as I plug in the USB connector.

However, I cannot get the other row to work.

The cable I purchased is a 5-pin, so I just pulled the last "no-connection" pin from the Molex and installed both possible ways into the "bottom" row.

I get no connect/disconnect sound when keeping the same orientation on the plug but just moving to the bottom row. When I rotate the plug 180 degrees (which I figured wouldn't work but had to try it), I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" from Windows.

Soooooo ... I missed the link to your external power supply.

It looks like it only provides power on the 12V rail. That ain't gonna work.

First, the CoPro microcontroller uses the 3.3V rail and the RGB LEDs use the 5V rail. The 12V rail is only used for the fans. You absolutely need to have all 3 present.

Looking at the wires, it looks like the SATA on that only has 5V and 12V rails. It may have 3.3V on the main but look at the photo with the SATA connector - there are only 4 wires going to the SATA connector and 2 of them are black. They are the same wires that connect to the Molex connector, which is only 5V and 12V.

So, there is no other option except the full PSU? :[pouts:

If you can find something else that provides all 3 rails, that'd be an option. Note that this only applies to the CoPro; it doesn't apply to the Lighting Node Pro or RGB Fan LED Hub - they only need 5V and 12V rails.

• 5 months later...

A slight necro, but I've done this too. Two CoPros, one internal for all the internal fans and RGB and one external for external fans and RGB.

Works like a charm, although it would be nice if iCue was better able to distinguish the two CoPros. Before making any changes to profiles, it's important to double check you're reconfiguring the right CoPro!

I whipped up a custom cable for my AX860i that passes out a SATA header via a 2.54mm header block. It's important to be able to easily disconnect the external unit for LAN parties and I didn't want yet another powerbrick under the desk. Plus I figured common ground and all that malarky.

Works great. CoPro monitors temp sensors and spools up the fans as necessary :sunglasse Plus RGB, because I'm 5 inside :D:

A slight necro, but I've done this too. Two CoPros, one internal for all the internal fans and RGB and one external for external fans and RGB.

What external fans?? That's what I'm curious about ... what do you use 'em for? Or is it "BYC"?

Works like a charm, although it would be nice if iCue was better able to distinguish the two CoPros. Before making any changes to profiles, it's important to double check you're reconfiguring the right CoPro!

Did you know that you can rename them? Switch the item bar to text mode ... double click on the device. Type the name you want. Makes this MUCH easier.

I whipped up a custom cable for my AX860i that passes out a SATA header via a 2.54mm header block. It's important to be able to easily disconnect the external unit for LAN parties and I didn't want yet another powerbrick under the desk. Plus I figured common ground and all that malarky.

That's a really cool solution!

Works great. CoPro monitors temp sensors and spools up the fans as necessary :sunglasse Plus RGB, because I'm 5 inside :D:

Why grow up? That's no fun!!