Corsair Community

ML120 PRO RGB won't illuminate.

iamamiracle

So I just built a new PC and everything is functioning perfectly for the most part, I'm now at the point where I'm setting up all my RGB fans, ram, etc. and I downloaded iCUE got my AIO cooler and ram functioning properly but my commander pro will not illuminate my fans. I have the 6-way RGB splitter plugged into SATA power and my LED socket on my Commander Pro. I've made sure all fans and connections were secure. I highlighted the center LED's in iCUE and chose my color and they would not illuminate. I'm thinking the 6-way RGB splitter that came with the fans may be defective. Are there any settings I need to change preemptively to make them work? I know for my RAM I had to enable a setting within my BIOS for that to function. I had plugged a couple of the fans to my RGB header on my motherboard and one LED lit up solid green, so I know the fans are functioning to an extent. I selected ML in iCUE under lighting setup and made sure it was on the first channel that i had plugged the RGB splitter into. I also tried using the second channel on the Commander PRO as well as using the separate node LED controller that came with the fans and not using the Commander PRO for the LED at all and the fans still would not illuminate. My only conclusion at this point is that the 6-way RGB splitter is faulty. I am positive all my components are connected properly I triple checked, reconnected them all, restarted my PC multiple times, reconnected all connections multiple times as well. HELP PLEASE ):

You should not have attached the fans to the motherboard; most motherboards are 12V and the Corsair fans are 5V. Connecting them to the motherboard will fry them.

Yeah I realized that it damaged the first two because they shut off after. Didn’t continue after the first two shut off. I ordered another fan hub hoping that was the issue.

I had everything plugged in properly, in iCUE set up the lighting channel for 1 picked my color and highlighted the fans and nothing would happen even though it said they were on in iCUE. All four fans were detected on the Commander Pro and on my H100i but the led’s wouldn’t work. Granted I probably fried 2 of the 6 but ill replace those. I watched many setup tutorials and know for a fact I have all the components I need and are all plugged in.

Edited by iamamiracle

always worth having a read of the below thread dude

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Thanks, what I got from that is to try plugging the fans in individually to port one to test their functionality and if that doesn’t work I’ll reflash the firmware, when I get home from work I’ll give an update if that worked. The bad fans that I plugged into the motherboard could be disrupting the whole chain.

Edited by iamamiracle

• 1 year later...
Hello everyone! I am kind of confused and I would like your help. After 3 years I decided to update my tower, starting with an AIO and a DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 32 gb kit. So my case already has 3 ML Pro 120mm white led fans and a single Ml pro 140mm white led. I currently have an air cooler which I will upgrade with the Hydro Series™ H115i RGB PLATINUM 280mm. So I will use the AIO as intake, with the 140mm ML PRO RGB fans that come in box in pull configuration. I have also ordered a Commander PRO and I was planning to connect on it, one ML Pro 120mm LED (white) and one ML Pro 140mm LED (white). Will it be possible to control through the commander pro (and iCue) the speed of the simple ML Pro (non-RGB) fans and do you maybe know if I can adjust any lightning effects, or those vary depending on the fan speed?

The Commander Pro is a 6 fan speed controller, plus a RGB Lighting Controller (Lighting Node Pro) in one package. The fan speed control will work with almost any fan 3 DC or 4 pin PWM, including your ML-LED. However, the lighting system is only for the Corsair RGB fans (ML-RGB, HD, LL, SP-RGB). Your ML-LED fans are single color bulbs and not capable of doing anything else, although frankly I miss the simplicity of my my all white ML-LED set-up.

You landed in the Link section for the former internal device control program. If you are interested in information about how the RGB systems work, take a look in the iCUE section of the forum, starting with the link below.

Zotty's Guide

The Commander Pro is a 6 fan speed controller, plus a RGB Lighting Controller (Lighting Node Pro) in one package. The fan speed control will work with almost any fan 3 DC or 4 pin PWM, including your ML-LED. However, the lighting system is only for the Corsair RGB fans (ML-RGB, HD, LL, SP-RGB). Your ML-LED fans are single color bulbs and not capable of doing anything else, although frankly I miss the simplicity of my my all white ML-LED set-up.

You landed in the Link section for the former internal device control program. If you are interested in information about how the RGB systems work, take a look in the iCUE section of the forum, starting with the link below.

Zotty's Guide

THank you for your reply!

• 2 months later...

The ML-120's are 12V....

I too, have an issue regarding these. I have one fan that illuminates out of 6. 1 other illuminates white on one side only, yet will illuminate the other three sides rgb if I play around with the ports enough. I have the commander pro hooked up correctly with the rgb controller, I have even tried a different rgb controller. I have double checked everything I can think of, and the only thought left is to replace fans... but I am confused as to why the reply here says plugging them into the mobo fries them. The fans are 12v, it even says it on them...? Please educate me... I have read posts and forums and nothing gives me any joy towards fixing my issue. Icue picks up the fans exist, and I can start/stop them with the software, but get no lighting. Is it the rgb portion that can't handle 12v?

Edited by njdmak
more info

The fan motor is 12V. The LEDs are 5V. If you plug the LED connector into the motherboard, it will fry the LEDs. If you have, at any time, connected the 4 pin RGB connector to a 4-pin motherboard RGB connector, there's nothing we can do here. You've killed the RGB.

As for fans lighting up, the fans operate in series. One fan passes data to the next. So one bad fan can take out the chain. And one fan can light up correctly and not pass data to the next one.

So you need to be very methodical about testing. Randomly swapping things around won't help.

Start with 1 fan on port 1. Does it light? Yes? Put it on port 2.

Take a second fan. Put it on port 1. Does it light? Does the next fan light? If yes to both, then it's GOOD.

Note that BOTH fans need to light to validate proper operation of LEDs. Once you go through the fans, you'll need to put the first fan back on port 1 with a good fan on port 2 to fully validate that fan as well.

• 11 months later...
The fan motor is 12V. The LEDs are 5V. If you plug the LED connector into the motherboard, it will fry the LEDs. If you have, at any time, connected the 4 pin RGB connector to a 4-pin motherboard RGB connector, there's nothing we can do here. You've killed the RGB.

As for fans lighting up, the fans operate in series. One fan passes data to the next. So one bad fan can take out the chain. And one fan can light up correctly and not pass data to the next one.

So you need to be very methodical about testing. Randomly swapping things around won't help.

Start with 1 fan on port 1. Does it light? Yes? Put it on port 2.

Take a second fan. Put it on port 1. Does it light? Does the next fan light? If yes to both, then it's GOOD.

Note that BOTH fans need to light to validate proper operation of LEDs. Once you go through the fans, you'll need to put the first fan back on port 1 with a good fan on port 2 to fully validate that fan as well.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm having this same issue and here are the steps I've done.

-reseated the connections

-Tried 2 new ML120's with no success

The fans are working fine it's just the lights that are not working. I'm also using 4 LL120's on the same RGB hub located in the 1-4 slots.

I have an RGB hub and a commander pro that came with my 465x. I'm also using 4 LL120's on the same RGB hub located in the 1-4 slots. From what I've read in this quoted reply is that the RGB hub works as a pass through. The ML120's are connected in slots 5 and 6. I should then try other fans in slot 5 to see if its the problem?

Edited by WholeNuts

Do you have a Platinum AIO cooler? That is the only one with an internal RGB controller. All other models v2, Pro, XT come with non-RGB fans. If you do have a Platinum cooler, then the lighting controllers are in the AIO page, not the Commander Pro. The USB is a literal passthrough and not a device to device connection.

I have an RGB hub and a commander pro that came with my 465x. I'm also using 4 LL120's on the same RGB hub located in the 1-4 slots. From what I've read in this quoted reply is that the RGB hub works as a pass through. The ML120's are connected in slots 5 and 6. I should then try other fans in slot 5 to see if its the problem?

Yes it's a platinum.

It's hooked up to the AIO. They are not hooked up to the commander pro. The fans show up in the AIO and I have the colors set to white, but nada.

I am trying to put these two statements together. The PWM wire for speed control is irrelevant and completely separate from lighting control. Two different controllers, two different power sources, two different wires.

Are the RGB wires from the two ML fans on Platinum RGB splitter? Or slots 5/6 on RGB hub with the LL fans? Either can work, but if they are on hub with the LL then the controls are in same channel as the LL. If they are on the Platinum RGB connectors, then the controls are through the AIO interface in CUE.

If they are on the hub with the LL, you will need to change the Lighting Set-up to "LL fans x 5" in order to generate enough LEDs to cover the 4+4 from the ML.

The cords providing power to the fans for spinning purposes are hooked up to the AIO.

The cords providing the RGB to the fans are hooked up to the RGB hub with the LL120's.

Sorry if I made this confusing. I had a friend help build this computer and there wiring wasn't exactly wonderful, but who am I too say that.

The original ML120's were all hooked in with the AIO, but they didn't have the AIO hooked up via the USB connection on the side. Before the USB I was able to get RGB to the fans and the AIO, but I couldn't customize it in the iCue software. It was just simply rainbow. Once I got the USB hooked up to the AIO I was able to customize the AIO badge, but the ML120's wouldn't illuminate at all. That's when I unhooked them from the setup they had and moved them to the RGB hub.

The two radiator fans should keep their PWM fan speed wires on the AIO connectors. This is preferable and will keep on them point whether the software is running or not.

Before you connected the AIO to the software via the USB, it was in its default hardware or "demo" mode. The moment it sensed the software it stops that and gives you back control. But you must configure the Lighting Set-up to tell it what kind of fans are connected and then add a effect (+) in the Lighting Effects tab for the controlling device.

You can choose which of the two places you put the ML RGB wires, but at present they are on the RGB hub with the LL so I will write it for that. Change the Lighting Set-up to "LL x 5". This will generate 5 LL fans in the Lighting Effects tab. The 2 ML will be the first 8 LEDs on the 5th fan. There is no other way to do this when mixing fan types. You may already have a lighting effect applied to the LL, but will need to extend it to the LEDs just added. Hold left CTRL + Left click (drag) to select or deselect groups of LEDs. If you just left click, it will deselect the entire zone.

You can check basic functionality by selecting on of the "Instant Lighting" colors at the top of the CUE window. That will turn the entire system that color overriding all current selections. All fans should light up that color.

Yes, if you move the RGB wires off the 6 port hub and back to the AIO RGB splitter, that will place the lighting control for those two fans back in the Lighting Effects tab for the Platinum. Then change the Commander Pro "lighting set-up" back to "LL fans x 4".