Corsair Community

Every iCue Version is crashing

Metazolid

I've been having shutdown/reboot issues (already mentioned by someone else here) and since I do have a Xonar Soundcard installed I went on and got the iCue version 3.18.77 directly off of Corsairs website.

Installed it and after every start it didn't detect any devices (even after re-plugging them) and just shut down, without any crash messages etc.

To make sure it's not just a single version issue, I've downloaded and installed a variety of versions, all with the same results.

Interestingly enough, installing 3.28.77, which is the second most recent version from just a few months ago, won't even start. The fans connected to my Commander Pro ramp up for a second after installation but that's about it.

The only version that works is 3.31.81 but has as already mentioned caused issues shutting down and/or rebooting my PC.

What causes all previous versions of iCue to just not function at all and how can I fix this?

9Gzx6Kp.gif

zEjch4r.png?1

When you were trying these older versions, did you leave your settings/profiles in the App Data/Roaming folder from 3.31? The profiles are not backward compatible and once you loaded 3.31, they all become incompatible with all prior versions. That would either crash the app or you would get a blank slate on opening.

I actually did, for some reason I thought they wouldn't cause any problems.

Once I've deleted the saved settings, old iCue versions worked as intended.

NSEbfXL.png?1

Unfortunately my profiles which make no use of any new features, are not backwards compatible so I'll either have to tinker around with the files, or create them from scratch.

Thanks though.

Yeah, I'm afraid so and this a lesson hard learned by most of us. There is no indication the profiles are not backward compatible. What I have done every since is before upgrading, copy the Corsair folder located at C:Users/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming. Those are all your profiles, settings, icons, everything. I then stick it in a folder with the version number and that becomes my roll back safety. If you have to, you delete the version you're on (check box to delete settings), install the version you need, then drop any Corsair folder that predates that version back into the Roaming folder before launching iCUE. You pick up right where you left off when the copy was made.

This is not the same as exporting a Profile in the standard save format, which you should do for any profile you've invested a lot of time making. However, this also preserves your layouts, icons, program links, and all the fiddly set-up stuff that takes forever.

I'm not familiar with the Xonar issue or what's going on with 3.31 for you. If 3.30 works, stay with it. However, be careful about going back too far in the history. Versions prior to 3.13 have different profile formats and you can get into some weird conflicts. Also, if you have Corsair RGB RAM, you really want to be on 3.21 or later for the driver change the made software mode consume drastically less resources. There was a frustrating keyboard bug on 3.23-.3.24. I don't recommend using stuff older the 3.25 for most people unless you are only running 1-2 basic devices from the prior generation.

Makes sense, thanks for the summary.

Whenever I find an issue like this where I have the opportunity to tinker with I take the chances I get. It's not immedeatly apparent how a newer .cueprofile can be edited to make it compatible with an older version, but I doubt it's impossible.

I have 150-200 macros across a dozen profiles and at least as many lightning effects with varying complexity, just creating them from scratch isn't really an option :o:

I'll probably stay on 3.31 and see how I can fix the shutdown error I get because iCue is beefing with Xonar for some odd reason. It outweights the pros even if I'd create a tool to successfully migrate a newer iCue profile to an older version.

Edited by Metazolid