Corsair Community

XD5 Pump Noise

Slash_Tag

Hi all,

Just finished setting up my loop with the XD5 Pump/Res combo and all seems to be going well, however, Im getting quite a bit of noise from the pump and I'm not sure if it is normal (I couldn't really find anything online about this).

I'm running a leak test so I just have the pump plugged into the PSU (via the Molex connector) and it is definitely working.

That being said, it seems to be ramping up/down every few seconds to where it will be quite loud for a few seconds. The sound isn't on any sort of "frequency", it just seems to be happening intermittently.

It's hard to describe the sound, but it sounds a bit like vibration, but it's not vibration coming from the mounting as far as I can tell.

My only thought is that there's a bunch of trapped air that the pump keeps hitting and that's what's causing the noise, but I could be way off. For the record, I have one of the ports at the top of the reservoir open so air can escape.

Is the noise I'm describing fairly normal? Any help would be appreciated!

When I plugged in my pump via molex only for a leak test, I'm sure it was running on full speed and not at 60%, I was also worried: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=193656 . After finishing my loop, the pump at 60% is pretty inaudible, while if I run it at full speed it makes the same kinda noise. I just kept the top port closed, air will stay on top of the reservoir anyway, I just added coolant if the level became a bit lower.

A few have said their pumps run at 100% when on molex only.. i feel both mine do.. but i can not confirm. i stick with the 60% advice as this is what Corsair had advised in a few threads.

My self... i run Dual loops.. cpu loop is 2 x XR7 480mm rads and GPU loop is 2 x XR7 360mm rads (block on each loop). i run both my pumps at 1500RPM and they are pretty much silent. both pumps will run at a maximum of around 4800rpm.. CPU loop is still pretty quite but GPU loop likes to be noisy. however, if i drop both to 3000rpm. the CPU loop becomes the louder of the 2.. i guess all pumps are not created equal.. or.. same can be said for all loops?

Edited by Zotty

So I'm not sure why this is the case, but Ive found the issue.

I actually had the pump plugged into Molex power and had the PWM wire from the pump plugged into my Commander Pro (unplugged).

It seems that because the Commander wasn't sending a signal back, the pump just have been running at an absurdly low speed.

When I unplugged the PWM wire, I could see the water moving at the top of the reservoir (hadn't seen that before).

So, I guess for anyone that may come across this going forward:

For the leak test, ONLY PLUG IN THE MOLEX POWER.