Corsair Community

Can I plug LL140 fan's rgb header directly into an LED channel on the commander PRO?

jmacmcnerney

Hello!

So my current setup is 6x Corsair LL120 fans connected into 2x PWM splitters (3 fans per splitter) for fan power. I have all of the RGB headers connected to the RGB hub which is connected to my lighting node PRO for RGB control through iCue.

I also have a 140mm case fan that is non RGB at the back of my case.

I am considering upgrading to a commander PRO so I can get rid of the PWM splitters by using the commander PRO for fan power, and get rid of the lighting node PRO by using the LED channel 1 on the commander pro.

My question is: if I want to substitute the 140mm case fan for a LL140 fan, can I plug the rgb header of that fan directly into LED channel 2 on the commander pro instead of having to get a second RGB hub? I want to be able to control this 7th fan through iCue and it is my understanding that if I simply plug the rgb header of the fan into an rgb header on the motherboard then I will not get control of it through iCue.

Thank you for your help!

Fand never plug directly into a RGB channel. That RGB hub is not a pass through. It is the power source for the lighting. No RGB Lighting Hub, no lights. The 7 fan conundrum happens and I have been there as well with a 7x140 build. Running another RGB Hub creates another issue as the fans will be on two separate channels. This means a sequential effect will start and repeat for its fans only. The 1 lone fan would be on its own circuit. It is more logical to break the fans up into 4+3, 5+2 or whatever fits the layout.

There is another option and the one I eventually ended up on. You can make/buy a RGB lighting wire splitter and run two fans off one port on the RGB Lighting Hub. This has the effect of duplicating the signal for those two fans (top two fans on a splitter, both perform action at the same time). That may or may not be better depending on your layout. I ended up getting two so I could make my top and bottom pairs act like a single fan and I liked that better. There are some scattered tutorials on how to make one, but for me it was easier to buy one that is better than I can make. I have several of these.