Corsair Community

Issue with Corsair Strafe RGB - Bios Mode

jdj9

Hello.

I recently upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, ram, cpu and my Strafe RGB automatically enters in 'Bios Mode' and the scroll lock key is blinking during boot ONLY. After passing bios screen the blinking stops and it enters into normal mode and the keyboard operates without any issue.

This did not happen before with my previous build (VII Ranger motherboard).

I looked around and i found that you can enable/disable the bios mode by pressing F1 and Windows lock key on top right.

I don't really mind that the scroll lock is blinking during boot but why does it automatically enters bios mode during boot? My problem is that i CANNOT enter bios when the scroll lock is flashing. The only way to enter the bios, is if i press F1 + Windows lock key and then DEL or F2 key VERY quickly before leaving bios screen.

I also tried to reset the firmware by pressing the ESC key and plugging the USB to the mobo. I don't believe it worked since the iCue software says that the keyboard is running the latest firmware.

Basically, i just want to enter the bios like i always did, without having to do that key combo, which was never needed before.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

This keyboard only has RGB lighting when connected with iCUE. It has always been the case that when iCUE has not booted and windows is loading, the keyboard will revert to it's hardware mode, which is what you are referring to as "Bios" mode.

The difference is probably just a change in USB chipset on the motherboard, and how it boots USBs. You likely cannot change it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue. I cannot enter BIOS, since keyboard is not recognized bios BIOS.

This happens to me since I upgraded my motherbord from chipset Z370 to Z390 (see my pc specs)

Luis, what Motherboard do you have now?.

Jack: we are talking when you start the computer while BIOS ask to press del to enter bios, at that stage scroll lock key blinks untill windows load the driver, or USB Drivers.

I have a Gigabyte Z270 Aorus Gaming 8.

I dont know what happened, i only can make the scroll looking (supposed to be bios mode) when it is windows. When it restart, it simply do not flash.

It is very annoying issue.

I am have both tickets open. in US support and BR support.

Hello.

I recently upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, ram, cpu and my Strafe RGB automatically enters in 'Bios Mode' and the scroll lock key is blinking during boot ONLY. After passing bios screen the blinking stops and it enters into normal mode and the keyboard operates without any issue.

This did not happen before with my previous build (VII Ranger motherboard).

I looked around and i found that you can enable/disable the bios mode by pressing F1 and Windows lock key on top right.

I don't really mind that the scroll lock is blinking during boot but why does it automatically enters bios mode during boot? My problem is that i CANNOT enter bios when the scroll lock is flashing. The only way to enter the bios, is if i press F1 + Windows lock key and then DEL or F2 key VERY quickly before leaving bios screen.

I also tried to reset the firmware by pressing the ESC key and plugging the USB to the mobo. I don't believe it worked since the iCue software says that the keyboard is running the latest firmware.

Basically, i just want to enter the bios like i always did, without having to do that key combo, which was never needed before.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

I noticed this exact same issue when I built my Ryzen 3000 PC. I used this same Strafe RGB keyboard on my SkyLake build and my Ryzen 2000 build and did not have this issue with them. The only way I found I was able to use the Strabe RGB keyboard to enter the bios setup and use the keyboard within the bios setup was to boot into Windows, press the lock button and F1 button simultaneously to enter "bios mode", and then reboot. This allowed me to enter the bios normally and use the keyboard within the bios setup screen. You can then exit bios mode on the keyboard once you boot into windows again. As a helpful hint to anyone who needs this, when entering bios mode on the keyboard, you should notice the entire keyboard flash once and the scroll lock LED with begin to flash continuously. You should also hear the Windows sound for loading a new USB device.

I have an Asus Maximus Hero X and my Strafe RGB does not work in the Bios, even when I put it in Bios mode. It is connected to my pc via a hub, which I have tried in both usb 2 and 3 ports ( I have legacy enabled in Bios). My Corsair M65 pro rgb also does not work in the bios.

I have a logitech wireless keyboard plugged into the same hub and that works fine in the Bios.

Edited by videodj

I don't think there is solution to this. If i want to enter the bios i just press F1 and windows lock key before even restarting and then i press Del to enter bios. After exiting bios i press again F1 + win lock key and it goes back to normal operation. These new mobos don't seem to like these keyboards, so at least this workaround works. I got used to it, besides i dont enter bios often so the heck with it. :P

I recently encountered the same issue (my keyboard stopped reverting to "hardware mode" when booting, thus preventing me from entering my BIOS. I have a K70 RGB Rapidfire (original, NOT Mk.2) and this issue did not occur until I updated the firmware at iCUE's suggestion.

If Nick from Corsair is reading this, I made the same mistake in phrasing as the OP. I mistakenly refereed to "hardware mode" as "BIOS mode".

Also note that the K70 has a hardware switch on the side that is capable of forcing the keyboard into "compatibility mode" which is basically the lowest polling rate setting used for compatibility with certain OSes or systems that may have difficulty reading the keyboard inputs at higher polling rates.

What I discovered is that when I move my hardware switch all the way to the left (compatibility mode), then I can enter my BIOS. This is absolutely not an ideal solution because the switch was never designed to be moved back and forth often (it's a bit small and flimsy, obviously designed to be set for specific cases and not for constant switching use). Apparently some keyboards (like the Strafe) can mimic this option using a key press combination.

• 1 month later...

I don't use USB hub's, I connect the keyboard directly to USB on the back of Motherboard.

I have the strafe RGB KB and a M65 pro ELITE mouse, both worked without issues on my asus Maximus Hero X (Z370), but the keyboard have issues when I upgraded to a Maximus XI hero (Z390).

I think that Corsair is who have to fix this issues upgrading the keyboard firmware. Something has changed on Motherboards USB ports and this has to be "compatibility" fixed on a strafe firmware upgrade.

Edit: I just made a new thread about this. I'm leaving this here as a reference for the OP's issue (showing how widespread it is), not attempting to make multiple posts.

--

I just bought a new K68 (non RGB), and it is doing the same thing as mentioned. As soon as the PC is started, the scroll lock light begins flashing, but it is not possible to enter the UEFI setup or boot bypass menus.

I seldom need to enter the UEFI setup, but I do use the GRUB bootloader options from time to time, even if only to get it to boot the default OS faster. Keypresses do not have any effect at that point either. There may be a way to get the pertinent driver loaded sooner, but this was never necessary with my K70.

During the boot process (after the timer runs out and the default OS begins to load), the keyboard lights briefly shut off, then come back on, and once it does that, the scroll lock light no longer blinks, and keypresses are once again detected by the PC.

If I use the F1 + WinLock option during POST, the scroll lock keeps blinking, but the keyboard then will work with UEFI and GRUB. In that case, the scroll lock light keeps blinking until it is toggled off once again, which apparently is expected behavior. F1 + WinLock is supposed to start the blinking, but it actually starts right when the PC is powered on, and the keypresses do not work until the OS is loaded.

My old K70 was set via the hardware switch to 1ms polling, and it was able to work before boot.

Motherboard is a P8P67 Deluxe, Cougar Point/Sandy Bridge, so it's not only the newer boards that are seeing this.

Edited by Ascaris

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem after updating the BIOS on my Crosshair Hero VII to 2901 AGESA 1.0.0.3, but at least I now know that the blinking light is the scroll lock light.

I didn't know what it was at first.

The Windows lock key and F1 trick helped, but then I have to reinstall the USB driver for the kbd on every boot.

My initial problem was not being able to get into the BIOS, which is pretty fundamental.

Is there a fix for this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Recently purchased a corsair k63 keyboard and m65 elite mouse , I've been really happy with them since I bought them but today I decided I was gonna mess around with my overclock and so needed to get in the bios.

Boom , not a chance , doesn't work , either of them.

Headed on out to google land to find if there was an answer to my problem and I came across a thread about entering the keyboard into "Bios mode" , which I thought was bloody strange.

"It should just work"

Right ?

Anyway tried everything from the f1 and win lock key to messing around with the polling intervals in iCue , nothing worked , even though it did flash the scroll lock key as if it had worked.

Got my old MS Keyboard and mouse down from the loft and key presto they worked.(No surprise , they worked before)

Long story short is I had a look around the bios , just incase some setting was affecting it.

There is a "Legacy USB Support" setting in my Asus UEFI bios which was set to "Enabled" , I changed this to "Auto" and now both my keyboard and mouse both work in the bios and are lit up too.

Hope this may help one or two that are having issues , I was very frustrated and tbh I was blaming Corsair after reading a few other forum posts that seemed to point that way , it wasn't their fault it was the "Default" setting in my bios causing the issue.

I joined the forum today to post , hope it helps someone.

Lee

• 1 month later...

i too have this issue with my KB

also tried the legacy enabled switch to auto and also tried the F1 and win-lock key 3seconds before restart and at bios startup, nothiong seems to have it respond in any other way or even respond in ANY way shape or form to the F1 winlock key combo at any time....

scroll lock jsut hapily blinks and blinks on PC startup up until windows logon screen and then just magically up and works....

solve this PLEASE!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have changed my motherboard yesterday.

I had a MSI B450, changed for an Asus B450, so same chipset, minor changes.

My Strafe RGB has always been functioning normally, but since the new mobo is installed, I have exactly the same problem.

I couldn't even use the legacy/BIOS mode as I couldn't boot into Windows: I was stucked at a splash screen telling me that due to the hardware changes, I had to press F1 to go into the BIOS. Well, good luck for that.

Luckily, I found an old wireless keyboard here and it worked perfectly.

The BIOS trick with lock/F1 works as well, provided you can boot into Windows first.

This is extremely annoying, how could my keyboard be perfectly recognized by the MSI mobo (and before that, I had an Asus Z170 mobo, no problem), and not be recognized by the Asus one, this is beyond me.

And why this keyboard doesn't have a legacy physical button that would solve everything? This is really disappointing.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...