View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 402252
Davyboy Reputation: 10

Surely there is someone on here who can help me out??

I have been running memtest since yesterday testing each module 1 at a time, in the second white slot on my mobo (slot number 3 according to gigabyte manual, even though it is the 4th slot from the CPU socket), I am letting each stick run memtest for 7 hours at the rated frequency of my modules, and so far the first stick ran without an issue for just over 7 hours before I stopped it manually..

The second stick has now been running along nicely for just over 3 hours without any issues...

I will report back here once I have finished testing each stick... However things seem to be going good so far... the first time I tried each module 1 at a time, I had it in the first white slot (slot 1) and it would crash after about 1 hour of memtest, and after about 10 minutes of Prime95...

But that time I just left all voltages alone, this time I raised QPI/VTT voltage up to 1.355v and I have DRAM voltage @ 1.66v instead of auto...

If all modules prove to be running fine in single channel mode, then why on earth wont they all run along nicely at the same time?

I read somewhere on these forums where RAMGUY said to another i7 user having trouble with these modules to up the QPI/VTT voltage to 1.6v, but I was researching into this last night and apparantly Intel say that the maximum amount of voltage for QPI should only be 1.35v... But then I noticed that some high performance RAM actually set the QPI/VTT voltage right up to 1.6v...

So I would like to know if anyone here that owns an i7 rig runs their QPI/VTT voltage at 1.6v all the time, and also if this is safe to do with my modules??

I really dont want to kill my CPU because I had to much volts going through it, and to me 1.6v does seem kinda high...

I also read somewhere last night, that the difference between Vcore and QPI/VTT voltage should only be .5v, is this correct?

::edit::

Well, I am now testing the last module in memtest86+, I will try to run it for 5 hours and see how things are, I just hope that by raising the QPI/VTT voltage to 1.355v has stablized my rig..

If this last module is fine, I will install all three modules again, and try running memtest again for 5 hours with three sticks installed... if that runs without any problems, I will try Prime95 for the entire night to check if things are stable...

I really hope that I have nailed this, as I just want this new rig to run stable... I have never had any problems like this before, and I have been building my own systems for about 9 years now...

This forum doesn't seem to be very active at all,,, I know loads of people use Corsair hardware, so I thought there would have been lots of people here willing to help, but it looks like I was wrong...

Anyway, I will report back here with my results...

Last edited by Davyboy; 05-25-2009 at 10:59 AM.