View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 09:55 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1027101
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmch View Post
After some research I discovered that copper and aluminum have adverse reactions to each other with the cooling liquid working as a catalyst. This could account for the odd buildup that I don't normally see when working with copper pipes and plain old tap water. It sounds like a design flaw to me with no easy way for a consumer to prevent the damage themselves especially if they don't know any better.

While galvanic corrosion is certainly a real thing, you are probably looking too deeply into the problem and would not have need to wait 5 years for it to become an issue. All of the AIOs on the market are made with the above construction and by the same small group of manufacturers. Most do not end up like this in the short term. The problem you are describing occurs a little too often in your specific model/series, but not other Corsair coolers. So yes, something was different (past tense), but it's not the aluminum radiator composition or the block. You still can't damage yourself with warm cooler. Your performance is not as good as it should be. In an extreme case, the MB shuts things down, just as it would with any cooler. Since this happened gradually over time, there was an opportunity to notice the change. You did have a sensor to detect that. It's the coolant temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmch View Post
No. I don't expect things to last forever. Thats not how the universe works. What I do expect is if engineers were aware of this why didn't the radiator come with warnings and an easier way to change out the coolant. Better yet, why not a sensor which would detect any restricted flow and send a warning to the software to avoid any potentially damaging temperature spikes it may cause.

Sorry but simply throwing it out and buying a new one is not sustainable to my wallet nor the environment.
I think you are expecting too much from a product that was not designed for that purpose. AIO coolers are supposed to be inexpensive, easily installed, and offer a high degree of safety in terms of water going someplace you don't want it. Refilling is not part of that and certainly alters the safe and easy approach. It seems clear what you should really be looking at is a custom water cooling system. It meets all of your requirements and if you were able to take apart an AIO and reassemble (not an easy task with those screws), you are more than capable. Obviously the hardware is meant to last for along time and is interchangeable, but all somewhat expensive. Perhaps you may find the long term cost is a better balance than replacing the AIO every few years.

Last edited by c-attack; 12-11-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Lost a “not”