Corsair Community

New PSU - Case fans remain lit after PC shutdown

AdzUK

...and I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I'm all out of ideas as to what I can try next, my PC continues to run fine yet all the fan lights remain on after shutdown. This weekend I'm gonna try and get hold of another Corsair PSU to try out on my system and after that, if it appears I need to RMA it, I'll do so.

How does the RMA process work and is it possible for me to receive a replacement first and then post this unit out? Reason being I use the PC most days for work so that would definitely be better for me. Would I be required to pay the postage as they weigh a ton!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corsair Employee
...and I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I'm all out of ideas as to what I can try next, my PC continues to run fine yet all the fan lights remain on after shutdown. This weekend I'm gonna try and get hold of another Corsair PSU to try out on my system and after that, if it appears I need to RMA it, I'll do so.

Well.. keep in mind that if it's just another Corsair PSU and not the same make/model, it may not do it. For example: I tested an RM1000 and an AX860i and while the AX860i had a higher voltage on the +12V after it shut down, it didn't stay live as long as the RM1000.

I got really busy today so I didn't have a chance to check on this, but I promise I will tomorrow. And by all means, feel free to an advanced RMA next week if you want to. And remember to PM me the ticket number because if we do find that this is anomaly, I want to get my hands on this PSU of yours to find out exactly what the anomaly is. You've got all of the engineers I've talked to stumped. ;):

• Corsair Employee

Ok.. well, I just had a chance to play with it just now. I had two fans. One Antec and one bitFenix. Both of them, the LEDs fade out fairly quickly. About the time the fan blades stop spinning from momentum, those LEDs were out.

So definitely get an RMA and let me know if/how I can help that along.

My asus maximus vi formula did that on occasion. i would have to kill the switch in the back. i have since switched to a rampage iv black and it no longer does it.

Asus said it was iRST causing it.... Not so sure... But it was something with the MB...

ive hesitated in replying to this thread as the op has already garnered enough grey hairs from this but id have to concur with your assumption as i too also believe the m/b is the likely culprit...

• Corsair Employee

Yeah... AdzUK tried the fans with the PSU plugged into the motherboard, fan controller and directly into the PSU... so that ship is sailed.

But I know exactly what you're talking about. I see it all of the time. The caps on the motherboard hold a charge for a while and the LEDs stay lit up, but even those eventually go out. AdzUK was having his LEDs stay lit for a long time, which means that the charge of the primary capacitor in the PSU was somehow leaking over to the secondary side caps and keeping them charged, thus keeping the fan LEDs lit.

I can't wait to get my hands on this thing. :p:

HM ... I Kinda Know this ...

My Old Main-board had Led's on them And those stayed on

Even my Rampage IV Black Edition Had the Whole audio Separation Line On

And My GPU showed Both PCI-E Connection Led's on green

And that without The PSU Plugged in to the wall

However IF I switch off my power strip those lights would turn off

So A Simple Question here ...

Are There Powered USB Devices Or A Powered USB Hub Connected To your PC That still get power ???

Maybe I have missed something but here is exactly what I have tried so far, bearing in mind no bios settings have been changed since changing the PSU. Infact, nothing has been changed apart from the PSU -

(1) PSU is connected to everything as normal - motherboard, hdds, gfx card etc. The PSU is also connected to the fan controller via molex lead, and 6 fans are connected to the fan controller.

Result: On shutdown all fan leds remain ON, even when PSU is switched off at the back and/or power lead removed.

(2) PSU is connected to everything as normal - motherboard, hdds, gfx card etc. The PSU is also connected to the fan controller via molex lead, and 6 fans are connected to the fan controller. A 7th led fan is connected directly to the motherboard.

Result: On shutdown all fan leds remain ON, even when PSU is switched off at the back and/or power lead removed.

(3) As above again but I've tried connected the molex cable into different ports on the PSU.

I haven't at any stage disconnected the motherboard completely from the PSU, should I?

Are There Powered USB Devices Or A Powered USB Hub Connected To your PC That still get power ???

The only things connected to my PC via USB are:

-Keyboard (2x usb ports)

http://www.hardwarelook.com/images/uploads/ARTICALS/ThermaltakePRIZE260911/competition_challenger_ultimate.jpg

-Mouse

http://www.ttesportsworld.de/sites/default/files/Black_Element_001.jpg

-Microsoft wireless receiver

http://www.epic-modz.co.uk/ebay_listing_images/gallery/gaming_reciever.jpg

-Fightstick :D:

http://www.push-start.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/streetfighterxtekkenprostick.jpg

That's everything!

• Corsair Employee
HM ... I Kinda Know this ...

My Old Main-board had Led's on them And those stayed on

Even my Rampage IV Black Edition Had the Whole audio Separation Line On

And My GPU showed Both PCI-E Connection Led's on green

And that without The PSU Plugged in to the wall

However IF I switch off my power strip those lights would turn off

We already went there. ;): The answer was no. There's nothing powered plugged into the motherboard's USB, etc.

But good question just the same.

UPDATE:

I took my PSU out today and took it to a friends house, he has the AX1200i. I only took the actual unit as his cables would work - as advised via this thread. So what happened?

Once we connected this PSU, we also connected up the green LED fan (pics on previous page) directly to his motherboard. Started his system up, PSU working great, fan was spinning and lit up obviously. Shut down and... the led was completely OFF. So, I am happy to report the PSU is working absolutely fine (unless it's the cables causing the issue lol)

I've since put it back in my system and all the leds remain ON after shutdown. :roll: So although there is some issue with this PSU in MY system, my mind is at ease knowing the PSU is ok - which as I've said all along seemed to be the case with me using the PC for gaming etc with no issues.

I'm thinking now maybe it is the motherboard as a few have suggested but I've even tried setting bios to default and shutting down and its still the same. So I've gone back to my saved profile which is running @ 4.5Ghz. If anyone has the same motherboard as me, let me know if there are any bios settings you think that may be the cause and I'll have a check.

Corsair employees - thanks again for all the help and advice and the assurance of being looked after had this needed RMA'ing ;): I know where I'll be shopping in future when I'm after a new case and cooler :)

Everyone else who offered advice - Thanks, I tried everything I think, the 'issue' is still there and tbh I can live with it at least knowing the PSU is working as it should be. When I do get around to changing my motherboard down the line, I may dig up this thread and post the results but that won't be for a long while yet!

• Corsair Employee

I thought you plugged the fans directly into the PSU, using Molex (adapters?) and the LEDs stayed on.

Is this not correct?

You did this with the fan controller as well. Is the fan controller hooked up to the motherboard somehow?

The fans were only connected to either the motherboard and/or to the fan controller, that's it. They are 3 pin so theres no way I can connect them just to the PSU as I don't have any 3-pin to molex adapters.

And nope, the fan controller isn't connected to the motherboard at all.

• Corsair Employee

Ok. Then if the fans are plugged into the fan controller and the fan controller isn't plugged into the motherboard, it's hard to believe the fans say lit. If the PSU is still plugged into the motherboard, I can see maybe some power coming back from the motherboard, through the PSU and then into the fan controller, but that's quite a stretch.

So if the fans are plugged into the fan controller and you unplug the 24-pin from the motherboard, the fan LEDs go out?

So if the fans are plugged into the fan controller and you unplug the 24-pin from the motherboard, the fan LEDs go out?

Yes that's right.

One of the reasons I haven't rushed out to get a 3-pin to molex adapter is because the fans are connected to the fan controller which is being powered via the molex lead from PSU - the fan controller isn't connected to the motherboard AT ALL. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that this would be exactly the same as the fan simply being connected to the PSU directly via molex.

• Corsair Employee
There's still something horribly wrong then. We can make sure that the charge is in the motherboard by disconnecting everything else from the motherboard (i.e. only have the PSU, motherboard and a fan plugged into a fan header), and if the LEDs still stay lit, then we know with 100% certainty that the motherboard is what's live... but that's still not right. A motherboard shouldn't be holding that much of a charge for that long.

Been googling today as I had some free time and there are so many cases with people having similar issues where fans/lights stay on after shut down. Almost every one I found which was eventually solved, was caused by either the motherboard or the PSU.

As I've said, I tried my PSU in another system and it shut everything down fine which leads me to believe it's my motherboard. Now if I was to try another PSU in my system and that shuts my system down fine, that would then suggest the PSU. Could there be some sort of compatibility issue between my motherboard and PSU and if so, is that reason enough to RMA?

I'm gonna get my mate to come over this weekend with his AX1200i because I'm just curious now to see if the issue remains. As mentioned already, my old PSU never gave me this issue and that was the only thing that was changed.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I upgraded some parts in my PC to:

4670k @ 4.7Ghz

ASRock Z87 Ex3

Corsair 600T White

Corsair AF120 (Quiet Edition White LED) case fans x3

Same PSU, ram, gpu, hdds etc

The PC now shuts down completely, all fan LEDS switch OFF!!! :D: It leads me to believe there was some sort of incompatibility issue with this PSU and my old motherboard, or one of the motherboard settings, but quite frankly I don't care anymore! The PSU seems to be working fine, as it always was.

I do have another small issue though. One of the Corsair fans I bought has an LED not working. From all my fan LEDS remaining on, to one not working.. how ironic eh? :(::p:

• Corsair Employee
I'm glad everything is working for you, but I would probably take the offer to aRMA that PSU you were given if you could unplug the PSU and your fan LED's would remain on for hours.

That is something that simply should not ever happen, I'm not extremely familiar with the inner workings of a RM1000 but it will have bleed resistors draining the charge off the capacitors that can hold a charge for hours after a power down regardless of motherboard.

Motherboards generally don't have the kind of capacitors that would hold a charge for that long. Being that you had it plugged the fans into a fan controller and encountered the issue that should have eliminated the motherboard as a potential problem.

Would it be possible for you to take a few well-lit pictures of your old motherboard and upload them? I'm also curious to see what JohnnyGuru can find if he gets his hands on that PSU. In my head I can't figure out a reason for this to happen without there being both a problem with the PSU and the original motherboard. If either one alone was defective to the point it was leaking power that long it would be amazing it hasn't suffered out-right failure.

Please read the entire thread. We've gone around and around with this already.

And modern PSUs do not have bleed resistors.

And LEDs require very little power, so a motherboard CAN hold enough of a charge to keep them lit.

Please read the entire thread. We've gone around and around with this already.

And modern PSUs do not have bleed resistors.

And LEDs require very little power, so a motherboard CAN hold enough of a charge to keep them lit.

I did the read the whole thread twice.

Eh I was wrong about the bleed capacitor thing (I looked for images of a RM1000 opened up and clicked on an older PSU image labled as such... ErP2013 compliance should have told me not to even bother though).

If I'm not mistaken the lights were staying on if it was plugged into the motherboard or hooked up to the fan controller. If they stayed on hooked up to the fan controller then the motherboard should have nothing to do with it.

Even if it was the motherboard it would be rare for them to hold power more than a few minutes after being removed from its own power source. Not impossible, but I was hoping to see pictures of the old board as there were some really strange power solutions on some 2002-2010 motherboards that could explain it.

I went on holiday for a week at the end of May, and unplugged the power lead from the back of the PSU. Would you believe when I got back after ~7/8 days the fan LEDS were still on.

The person I sold my case/case fans/motherboard/cpu/h50 to has not reported any issues whatsoever with fan lights remaining lit, he is obviously using his own PSU.

I'm using the same PSU with my new parts and everything shuts down and runs perfectly. I have to once again thank the corsair reps for their time and effort in at least trying to help me get to the bottom of it! I feel like really putting the RM1000 to the test with a second Ti :biggrin: I had better get saving...