View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Jones0610's PC Specs

POST ID # = 618848
Jones0610 Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to Jones0610 Send a message via MSN to Jones0610 Send a message via Yahoo to Jones0610 Send a message via Skype™ to Jones0610
Default Case fan choice question

I have an older Ultra case that's cooled with a couple of Thermaltake 120mm fans. They cool very well but they are fairly loud. Wanted to replace them with something a little quieter but that still provides good cooling.

I have a Corsair 600T case that's packed with AF-120 fans and I have to say that they are VERY quiet. They don't move a ton of air but there isn't a lot of heat being generated in that box so they don't have to. But I'm thinking that the AF-120 may be insufficient for my Ultra case.

Been reading up on the SP-120 series. The quiet edition could work out although it doesn't move near the air that the performance model does.... at a higher noise penalty.

My cable management in this box is pretty decent... seems like the SP-120 is designed more for radiator cooling than case cooling although I've seen comments about it being suitable for case intakes.

I don't want to over-think this.... the current fans are running at ~2,800 RPM. Don't know the rated CFM but I'm guessing it's a lot. What fan(s) should I be looking at to get similar cooling characteristics but with a lot less noise?

Many thanks in advance.