Corsair Community

Do I need a Commander Pro with this setup?

PXAbstraction

Hi all.

I've been racking my brain on this and can't find a clear explanation anywhere, either on Corsair's site, MSI's site or searching these forums so I hope someone can clarify for me. If this is a redundant thread, I apologize, feel free to point me to the existing one.

I am planning a new build. The relevant parts are that I'm building with an MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard, an H150i and I also bought a 3 pack of LL 120mm RGB fans that come with a Lighting Node Pro and Fan Hub packaged in with them.

My objective is simple (in theory): I want to be able to control the fan curves on the H150i and the LL fans and also control the RGB on the fans from the iCUE software or MSI Dragon Center.

Obviously, a Commander Pro can do this. However, this particular motherboard has a JCORSAIR1 connector on the board, which if I'm interpreting page 42 of the manual correctly, looks like it will allow me to just use the existing Fan Hub and Lighting Node Pro and achieve the same things. The H150i I'm getting is not the RGB version so I believe I can control the fans curves on that by just plugging it straight into the motherboard's CPU fan header.

Am I correct in this or if I want to be able to control all the fans and the RGB through either iCUE or MSI Dragon Center, would I still need a Commander Pro? Is there any particular advantage having a Commander Pro would add in this scenario?

Thanks all!

You don’t need a Commander Pro. The H150i has its own fan controller and will power and control fan speed. That will be software adjustable. The Lighting Node Pro and RGB Lighting Hub that are in your triple pack of LL120 fans will control the lighting. 2 wires on each fan. One for lighting. One for power and speed control.

The Jcorsair header tries to incorporate the fans into Mystic Light, but it be handled like one long strip of LEDs. You will not have the same options as iCUE.

Thank you for that, very helpful!

So just so I'm clear, to be able to control both the RGB and the fan speeds for the LLs, I would plug the Fan Hub into the motherboard JCORSAIR connector, plug the fan speed lines into that and then plug the RGB lines into the Lighting Node Pro? That seems to be what the manual indicates but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again!

Hi again. Apologies but I've seen that thread before and re-read it just now but I'm still confused here.

So, to control both the fan speeds and the RGB, I would not use the JCORSAIR header, instead doing something like this:

H150i goes to USB2 port - Can be controlled in iCUE.

LNP goes to USB2 port, Fan Hub goes into LNP, all LL fans go into Fan Hub - RGB and fans can be controlled in iCUE.

Based on reading the sticky post, I think that's what I'd need to do. Can you confirm I've got this right?

Thank you again!

The 3 pack of LL120 and the H150 is all you need. Your other case fans will need to be controlled from the motherboard.

The Jcorsair header offers a limited set of lighting control options. It makes sense if you only have 1-2 fans and no other Corsair devices. Since you will be running iCUE anyway for the H150i, there is no reason not to take advantage of the larger number of control options there versus of Mystic Light.