Corsair Community

Corsair Obsidian 1000D Build Log/How to Guide

Zotty

Ive been following this for months and has proved to be so much help along my build..

I have the 1000d case and a stack of corsair stuff just finishing it all off now but i need some cable extensions for the fans and the dam top tray thats never in stock..

That devbiker chap is he in the uk ? im in a hurry for these cables..

Oh and you moan about cable management you wait till you fit the mini itx as well i've attempted mine 3 times and still not happy with cable layouts so ive decided to change my mini itx now for a better board with the plugs where i need them... Spend thousands so far and still going haha

Thanks again for the expert help... Im sure i speak for many when i say that :D:

No worrys man :) Glad to be of service Sir ;) :D ... and as said above.. DevB is in Texas.. can vouch for his cables though

So much info!!!!!!!!!! MOAR!!! MOAR!!!! :laughing:

Great work Zotty definitely some useful stuff to help with my build in progress, and also thanks to others who have added there info as well.

Awesome group of enthusiasts!:werd:

So I have a couple of questions:

1. I believe I saw something where you have just the 2 fans in the rear as exhaust, everything else is intake. Are there any issues with temps in the case? I was having trouble deciding on whether I should do the same as I have a HWL 480GTX I'm putting in the front and probably a 420GTX in the top both being intake and wasn't sure the 2 fans in the rear would be adequate for exhaust.

2. Is there info on a dual loop setup as far as pump location? I thought I saw someone say they had a dual loop, but couldn't find the reference. I was thinking to drill out all of the rivets holding the HDD cage and just removing it so I could put the pumps there. I have 2 TT Pacific PR22-D5 pump/res combos and not sure I'm going to be able to get them both in there without removing something.

3. Planning a push/pull 480GTX in front and would like to push/pull 420GTX in the top, seems there might be some issues with fitment. Any confirmation on that? Is it possible?

Again, thanks for all the great info and all of the additions from everyone that has added their $.02 to this thread (sorry to hijack, even tho I'm not the first lol).

As I start building I'll get some pics to share with everyone.

So much info!!!!!!!!!! MOAR!!! MOAR!!!! :laughing:

Great work Zotty definitely some useful stuff to help with my build in progress, and also thanks to others who have added there info as well.

Awesome group of enthusiasts!:werd:

thanks bud :)

So I have a couple of questions:

1. I believe I saw something where you have just the 2 fans in the rear as exhaust, everything else is intake. Are there any issues with temps in the case? I was having trouble deciding on whether I should do the same as I have a HWL 480GTX I'm putting in the front and probably a 420GTX in the top both being intake and wasn't sure the 2 fans in the rear would be adequate for exhaust.

2. Is there info on a dual loop setup as far as pump location? I thought I saw someone say they had a dual loop, but couldn't find the reference. I was thinking to drill out all of the rivets holding the HDD cage and just removing it so I could put the pumps there. I have 2 TT Pacific PR22-D5 pump/res combos and not sure I'm going to be able to get them both in there without removing something.

3. Planning a push/pull 480GTX in front and would like to push/pull 420GTX in the top, seems there might be some issues with fitment. Any confirmation on that? Is it possible?

Again, thanks for all the great info and all of the additions from everyone that has added their $.02 to this thread (sorry to hijack, even tho I'm not the first lol).

As I start building I'll get some pics to share with everyone.

1. i dont suffer any heat issues but i am not an OC record breaking beast lol... it works for me. certainly a lot less dust this way

2. most mount the 2 pumps to the pump mount tray thats attached to the top of the HDD Caddy.

3. have heard that some rads wont fit side by side... thats about all i know, but will have a research today on it ;)..

Zotty

Quick question mate.. As the corsair aio coolers dont reach the front mounting panel which i think is crazy and the top 120mm tray is still showing no stock can i put the front 8x120mm tray in the top and the top 140mm tray in the front ?

Thought id ask before i try and dismantle it all :biggrin:

thanks bud :)

1. i dont suffer any heat issues but i am not an OC record breaking beast lol... it works for me. certainly a lot less dust this way

2. most mount the 2 pumps to the pump mount tray thats attached to the top of the HDD Caddy.

3. have heard that some rads wont fit side by side... thats about all i know, but will have a research today on it ;)..

I'll just have to give it a go, I'm planning to OC the 9700k as hard as I can so we'll just have to see. I've got sensors with the CoPro so I'll scatter them about and see how the temps are. Worst case, I'll have to drain and swap the fans :rant2::rant::brick::laughcry:

I'm thinking I might have issues with push/pull on both rads with my quick measurement. Still waiting on hardware to get here tomorrow so I can mount the rads.

Was able to have the guys at the store to pull the 1000D out of the box so I could look at it before I took it home. There's slots for 2 pumps mounted vertically, so when I got home I set my pumps on top and got a pic :D:

AQPa7YJ.jpg?1

Edited by Bogartz

Zotty

Quick question mate.. As the corsair aio coolers dont reach the front mounting panel which i think is crazy and the top 120mm tray is still showing no stock can i put the front 8x120mm tray in the top and the top 140mm tray in the front ?

Thought id ask before i try and dismantle it all :biggrin:

Found it.... lol

yes you can do that... a guy over in my Discord Server has done it :)

http://i.imgur.com/oblLjJ7l.png

Edited by Zotty

Excellent thanks zotty.. I'm in two minds weather to swap trays of just go with a custom loop with a 420mm rad up top..

My graphics card turned up yesterday rtx2080 ti baby :-)

Just waiting on my 3 aoc monitors to turn up today with Amazon:-) and I bought some led strips shall i run them off the front panel spare wire ? I see theres a feed just dangling there

you can do.. that would be Lighting Channel 1 on the Commander Pro in iCUE.... no more than 4 strips even though iCUE will let you have 6. dues to the 22 LED's in the Front IO there isnt enough power for 6 strips. the last 2 would be off color or dimmer than the rest.. my advice is run fans from it as they have their own sata power connection via the RGB Fan LED Hub

I was looking through your fan layout images and didn't see anything that related to my question.

I have 18 HD120 fans and 3 LL140 fans, I was looking at this layout https://imgur.com/g22mWOn and wasn't sure if I was ok mixing up fans on a copro and fan hub. Where the group of 6 fans are I would have 3 LL140 and the 2 fans on the left of those would be connected to the same copro and fan hub as the LL140s rather than separate as it is pictured, if that makes sense. Is there any issue with that? Will it affect the ability to control the different fans correctly?

I have 16 HD120s mounted to two 480 radiators in the front and the LL140s are exhaust in the top tray, then the last two HD120s in the rear as exhaust.

Thanks

Edited by Bogartz

Hi buddy...

right.. mixing fans....

SP RGB is just NO.. can't do that... not that it relates to your question....

LL/HD/ML RGB fans can be mixed but certain sequential RGB effects won't play correctly due to the differing amount of LED's in each type

Gotcha, I thought I saw somewhere that said basically just that, but couldn't find where I saw it so, I decide to just ask the expert :D:

I guess I'll keep them separate.

Thanks Z!

Expert lol,, I thanks you Sir. Flattered I am haha..

it is nice to have all the effects working correctly i must admit. which does indeed dictate you follow certain 'rules'...

glad to be of service buddy :)

Have to give credit where credit is due :sunglasse

Did you find the vertical mount a little flimsy? There's no other hardware besides the plate you install into the back of the case? I have about 1/8" or slightly more difference if I use my hand to lift the end up compared to no assistance. It looks like the top tongue that fits into the slots of the case have some slop in them. I might do some modification of that tongue, maybe bend it a bit to give it a tighter fit.

• 2 weeks later...

well this is as far as it goes for the AIO build stage of my 1000d.. this is probably it's last image in its current build state

TxVtLrb.gif

this has happened.

http://i.imgur.com/wEc4XYxl.jpg

this is planned

http://i.imgur.com/cmpApPHl.jpg

more info on Hydro X here

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188181

Edited by Zotty

I feel your pain Zotty. Well, my wallet understands. All of my equipment is on its way. Thankfully I already had 2 EK XE 480’s stashed away. Still debating on fans. I have enough 120/140 LLs for push and would go push/pull if not for the fact that there is no RGB effect on the rear of the fans. May use a bunch of EK Vardars I have laying around for the pull fans.

wfeRUFp

First Mod to my brand new 1000D. Asus Thor PSU with the real time wattage output display. My only concern now is that in this orientation the PSU fan is on top so it’s close to the shroud. I am planning on converting my current system to an ITX format and putting it in here for dual systems. Really wondering just how much heat this PSU will put off.

can you monitor the PSU temps in software dude? i assume its display is hidden under the shroud?

Not sure why my picture isn’t showing up. I will try to add it below. If it doesn’t work, what I did was cut a hole in the PSU shroud to allow the PSU OLED screen and RGB effects to be seen.

Here is a direct link to the pic on Imgur.

https://imgur.com/gallery/wfeRUFp

• Confused 1