Corsair Community

H80i v2 installation questions

Baba Yetu VI

Hi,

I have an old motherboard which doesn't support RGB. On the H80i v2 unit, there is a connector which connects to the motherboard USB header. If my motherboard USB header is occupied, will the unit still run without connecting the USB cable to the motherboard?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Best regards

The cooler will still run and follow a pre-programmed fan curve. The USB cable is for transferring data between the device and the software. There really isn't much RGB on a H80i v2 and that will stay once set. However, without it you will not have fan control or access to the coolant temperature data. If that is what you end up deciding, you may wish to move the fans off the H80i v2 controller and to your motherboard so you have some idea of what's happening.

The cooler will still run and follow a pre-programmed fan curve. The USB cable is for transferring data between the device and the software. There really isn't much RGB on a H80i v2 and that will stay once set. However, without it you will not have fan control or access to the coolant temperature data. If that is what you end up deciding, you may wish to move the fans off the H80i v2 controller and to your motherboard so you have some idea of what's happening.

So, I suppose the fans' cable will be connected to the connectors stemmed from my PSU, am I correct? And the fans will be running at their max speed, what is the max speed of the H80i v2's fans?

stupid question really, if the USB 2.0 header on my motherboard is used for connecting the pump, I will lose the connection to the front panel. Is there a workaround for that? Do I really need the link cable for normal operation of the unit?

Also, there is an AIO Pump on my motherboard, is it used for connecting to the H80i v2 pump?

The USB connection uses a standard mini USB 2.0 connection. So you could use a standard USB cable and put it into your rear I/O. Another alternative is an internal USB hub.

You don't need it for the unit to operate. You do need it if you want to control the unit and monitor the temperature and the fan and pump speeds.

The AIO Pump header on your motherboard is just a normal fan header set to 100%. You can use it if you want but you'll have to turn off the CPU_Fan warning. Putting it on the CPU_FAN header provides you with a warning in the event of total pump failure.

The USB connection uses a standard mini USB 2.0 connection. So you could use a standard USB cable and put it into your rear I/O. Another alternative is an internal USB hub.

You don't need it for the unit to operate. You do need it if you want to control the unit and monitor the temperature and the fan and pump speeds.

The AIO Pump header on your motherboard is just a normal fan header set to 100%. You can use it if you want but you'll have to turn off the CPU_Fan warning. Putting it on the CPU_FAN header provides you with a warning in the event of total pump failure.

Thanks, you seem to understand what I am asking.

Another question about the monitoring and control of fan speed and pump speed: If I don't have iCue software, can I adjust the fan and pump speed via the BIOS?

No, you cannot adjust the fan and pump speed via the BIOS. If you set the fan header to DC/3-pin mode and try to set a curve, you'll wind up not providing the pump with the full 12V that it needs to operate properly, leading to an early failure.

So ... don't do it.

You can set the curve in iCUE and save to the device - as long as the curve source is set to the pump temperature (which is what it should be).

No, you cannot adjust the fan and pump speed via the BIOS. If you set the fan header to DC/3-pin mode and try to set a curve, you'll wind up not providing the pump with the full 12V that it needs to operate properly, leading to an early failure.

So ... don't do it.

You can set the curve in iCUE and save to the device - as long as the curve source is set to the pump temperature (which is what it should be).

Now I am confused.

Ok, my motherboard is a P8Z77-I Deluxe. The link to the manual is https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-I_DELUXE/E7987_P8Z77-I_DELUXE.pdf

Page 22/178 shows the diagram. I am currently using an old Hydro Series H60 (purchased in 2013) and I connect the cable from the pump to the Fan header and that's it. The fan which is attached to the radiator is one of the stock fan of my case and the fan is connected to DC.

If I replace this Hydro H60 with H80i v2, is it compatible?

If not, I am ready to purchase a new motherboard and CPU.

The H60 is a traditional non-software piece of kit. Power supply to the pump. Power to the fan. One standard fan wire for each and they act like a fan.

The H80i v2 (note the "i") is a software controlled cooler. It has its own onboard fan controller to run in accordance with coolant temperature (the proper control variable). It will still work without the USB connection, but the software cannot see it and you cannot change its behavior.

Your current motherboard and CPU should be compatible. Socket shape/type is the only thing that prevents one cooler or another from being fitted.

The H60 is a traditional non-software piece of kit. Power supply to the pump. Power to the fan. One standard fan wire for each and they act like a fan.

The H80i v2 (note the "i") is a software controlled cooler. It has its own onboard fan controller to run in accordance with coolant temperature (the proper control variable). It will still work without the USB connection, but the software cannot see it and you cannot change its behavior.

So I should get one of those without an "i"?

Corsair H60 (2018)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H60-%282018%29-120mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060036-WW

Note this is not really the same performance category as the H80i v2. H60 is 120x25mm radiator, single fan, higher speed pump to compensate. H80i v2 is 120x49mm, dual 120mm fan, adjustable pump speed. I don’t know your needs and am not trying to sway you in either direction, but they are different products. One thing to note is the H80i v2 is pushing 100mm in thickness. That is a big sandwich to stuff into your case.

Corsair H60 (2018)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Single-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H60-%282018%29-120mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060036-WW

Note this is not really the same performance category as the H80i v2. H60 is 120x25mm radiator, single fan, higher speed pump to compensate. H80i v2 is 120x49mm, dual 120mm fan, adjustable pump speed. I don’t know your needs and am not trying to sway you in either direction, but they are different products. One thing to note is the H80i v2 is pushing 100mm in thickness. That is a big sandwich to stuff into your case.

It is very thoughtful of you.

I find out my H60 pump speed from a third party utility known as Speedfan. It is denoted as CPU Fan probably because the cable of the H60 is connected to my mobo's CPU fan header. It is 4299 rmp! Miraculously high!!

Thanks for your thoughtfulness. I do understandthat they are different products. In fact, I wanted to reserve some upgrade possibilities in the near future. My plan is to clean my motherboard which is full of dust, then reuse it for a little while more until the new B55 chipset comes out, but my H60's radiator fin is full of dust and blocked that the fan cant do much to ventilate the heat off. At first I didn't realize there is new H60 thinking that the lowest model is H80i.

I've just checked the spec, the new H60 doesn't have a link cable which is GOOD!

By the way, do you know if H60 is sufficient to keep new(to me) CPUs like the 9th gen Intel 9400F, 9600K and 2nd/3rd gen AMD 2600, 3600 cool to run. I am assuming all of them to be running at stock speed, no overclock. My H60 is doing really well all these years, my CPU is "K" type which is 35C at idle and 55C when playing games. So I am seriously considering replace it with the new H60.

It is 4299 rmp! Miraculously high!!

That is the pump speed on your H60 and the new 2018 version is similar. In order to offer better performance on a small surface area radiator, the pump speed needed to be faster. A H80i v2 has a max pump speed of around 3000 rpm.

I don't have any data on the H60 with those processors, but it is likely out there somewhere. Regardless, it is certainly functional and will not overheat. Larger radiators allow you to run lower fan speeds. Smaller radiators may require it.

That is the pump speed on your H60 and the new 2018 version is similar. In order to offer better performance on a small surface area radiator, the pump speed needed to be faster. A H80i v2 has a max pump speed of around 3000 rpm.

Yes, and I can't really hear it, probably other ambient noise in my room has superseded it.

I don't have any data on the H60 with those processors, but it is likely out there somewhere. Regardless, it is certainly functional and will not overheat. Larger radiators allow you to run lower fan speeds. Smaller radiators may require it.

I will read some reviews to get that sorted. Nevertheless, I may try Air cooler also because if I upgrade my system to AMD, then I will use the stock cooler. Difficult to decide between Intel and AMD though...

Thanks very much c-attack for helping me out!

It does. All Corsair AIO will fit all Intel 115x sockets with the included mount.

Thanks! I was checking the website yesterday and it didn't say 1151 so I was worried.

1st question: as I mentioned before, my motherboard is the old P8Z77-I Deluxe which provides only 1 CPU fan header and 1 Chassis fan header, so when I install the pump, by common sense I will connect the fan 4-pin cable to the CPU fan header. But I know there is a pump fan lead cable, to where I should hook it up??

I got this image from guru3d review of the H60img_0416_guru3d.jpg.2ca6ec107e0fbf01d3144b91668ab247.jpg. My motherboard doesn't have the CPU_OPT header. What do I do?

2nd question: I read some reviews (one from guru3d) which gives highly praised remarks to the fan which comes with the AIO LCS. Could you provide me with the exact model number of that fan? The reason I ask is because I am going to upgrade my case, which has four fan positions (1 at the front, 2 at the top). I want to purchase 4 of these fans. And if I use DC (because I have only 1 fan header on the motherboard) to connect them, they will run at their max rpm 1700 rpm, would the noise will be quite noticeable when four of them are running at the same time?

Thanks for the reply in advance.

Edited by Baba Yetu VI

1) Plug the fan header into the CPU Fan header and set it to full power. The pump fan lead does this too ... but you'll get a CPU Fan warning. Putting it on the CPU header will give you that warning in the event of pump failure. This is covered in the liquid cooler FAQ - I suggest you give that a read.

2) What fans are you referring to? I'm not sure what "AIO LCS" is. If you are looking for the fans that come with the H80iV2, you really don't want them as case fans. They are LOUD. TBH, a lot of folks don't want them as radiator fans either, though they are quite powerful. The ML series fans are good drop-in replacements and are much, much, much quieter.

1) Plug the fan header into the CPU Fan header and set it to full power. The pump fan lead does this too ... but you'll get a CPU Fan warning. Putting it on the CPU header will give you that warning in the event of pump failure. This is covered in the liquid cooler FAQ - I suggest you give that a read.

There are two and only two fan headers on my motherboard, it's named as CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN. I am using the first gen H60, and it has a cable coming from the pump which I have connected to the CPU_FAN and that's it, no power cable. I suppose the CPU_FAN header is supplying all is needed to drive the pump. For CHA_FAN, currently I have it connected to one of my chassis fan. The fan attached to the radiator is connected to direct current cable which means FULL speed.

Do you mean I should connect the pump cable to the CPU_FAN, if yes, will that damage the bump, that's all I want to know coz I don't want to damage the pump.

2) What fans are you referring to? I'm not sure what "AIO LCS" is. If you are looking for the fans that come with the H80iV2, you really don't want them as case fans. They are LOUD. TBH, a lot of folks don't want them as radiator fans either, though they are quite powerful. The ML series fans are good drop-in replacements and are much, much, much quieter.

I am referring to the fan that comes with the package. Is it the same as the ones come with the H80iV2, as loud as those?