Corsair Community

h115i not cooling cpu at all

phox6801

I just built my first PC yesterday after receiving all the parts from Amazon yesterday as well.

GIGABYTE AORUS X570 Motherboard

AMD 3950x CPU

H115i Cooling System

I turn on the machine and everything fires up fine. The CPU overheats and system shuts down. I was in the F12 boot menu and saw that CPU temps were averaging 104-106 degrees which obviously tells me something's not working.

I attached the two fans as a push intake method on the front of my case. The fan RGBs work fine, the radiator cpu cover with the hoses is properly installed on top of the cpu based on the instructions. I have the two fans connected to the radiator cable and I have the sata power plugged in and the 3 pin connector tied to the CPU Fan header. Based on what I see, it's all plugged in properly. The case would not allow me room to install the fans to the inner most area of the inside of the case with the radiator attached to the front inside. So I had to install the fans "outside" the case on front with the radiator inside. The fans are mounted directly on the radiator but it has the thin layer of holed metal between the radiator and fans. I have the air being pulled into the radiator from the outside. My room temp was about 50f degrees during this testing. It rose to the overheated state within about 10 minutes of having it on while trying to install windows 10. It stopped mid-installation due to overheating.

The concern I have is that upon receipt of the radiator, the clear bag it was wrapped in from the box had clear liquid inside of it (droplets in the inside of the bag) and during the course of installing, it was leaking a lot of fluid (clear) inside my case.

I've read a few forums about troubleshooting this but am not sure if I should just return the one I got or if there's a few steps of troubleshooting to check what could be the reason.

There was a post I read about reseating the cooler part on top of the CPU with some kind of paste. The layer that came on the underside was very thin and, frankly, by the time I got it installed, it had spots where the white goo was smeared and not the same as when I pulled it out of the box.

I need some guidance on how to fix this or at least troubleshoot what it could be. I'm assuming that since my fans light up and blow, that the cooling wires are powered through the motherboard. I also read that some people asked if the CPU cooler was powered up. I assume if it has the RGB red lights glowing, then it must have power going to it.

Edited by phox6801

The concern I have is that upon receipt of the radiator, the clear bag it was wrapped in from the box had clear liquid inside of it (droplets in the inside of the bag) and during the course of installing, it was leaking a lot of fluid (clear) inside my case.

What?!? Stop. Get it out of the case now. There is no extra fluid in the radiator and if you see a single droplet of anything in the plastic it goes straight back to the vendor. You don’t troubleshoot this. You never install it.

No fan settings or positions have any bearing on cpu temps of that magnitude. Either the cold plate is not making good contact with the cpu or there isn’t enough fluid to complete the loop. Doesn’t matter. A leaking unit is an automatic end. Carefully get it out. Take the gpu out first if you can. It is typically the most expensive and most vulnerable to liquid damage.