Corsair Community

You CAN mix fan types on a fan hub. I did it.

Pitufo

SO... I kind of lucked out... I didn't know you weren't supposed to mix fan types but I did anyways. I have 2 ML140 RGB fans on the top of my case. I put a LL120 on the back as exhaust and turns out ICUE will recognize all the lights if it thinks there are 6 ML fans total. Cause 4 X 6 is 24 lights. Then today I added a second LL120 on the front and changed the software to 4 HD fans for 4 X 12 = 40 lights. Works brilliantly. I just use Rainbow Channel on slow and it cascades around from top to back to front. And I've set up 2 "panels" offset on each of the top ML's to display GPU temperature. I think it looks like stained glass.

You can mix HD/LL/ML fan types. The program counts LEDs, so it is a little math game. (I’ll leave 4x12=40 alone). It usually works out better if you put the odd fans at the end of the chain, but it also depends on your intended lighting. Whole fan effects usually work better than sequenced.

Yes, you can. It's just not supported and not something you can configure directly in the software (iCUE). It's been discussed occasionally here on the forum but we typically discourage it because it's not directly supported and explaining it to someone new to the RGB world can be ... difficult.

There's all kinds of crazy things that you can do. I won't even get started on some of the crazy things that I've done. ;)

Haha ya 48 oops. So my 40 light setup actually works best if i set the 4 fans to 4 RGB strips.

That depends on what you are trying to do. The math does not have to be perfect, but it is better to tell it too many LEDs vs too few.

When you set it to strips, it makes the LED activity strictly linear along the path. You won't get whole fan effects, but it also can make things easier if you desire a sequenced effect. On the other hand, setting HD x 4 fans (12 LEDs x 4) will give you your 48, but it likely won't give you the effects display you want. There are some strange differences between fans, both visible in iCUE (the lighting effect choices) and invisible (LL and HD fans have a different LED #1 and center hub does not exist on the HD putting the balance off). You may get the best results for now doing LL x 4. The lighting will flash across the top really fast and may cause the rear to strange things, if that is the order. The other thing you can try is changing your order so the ML are last. Then then it does not put off the other effects.

• 6 months later...

The SP-RGB fans use a different type of LED and, thus, have a different data protocol for controlling them. They use UCS1903 LEDs while everything else use WS2812B. So the bits put on the wire are different for the different LEDs.

Note that this only applies to the original SP-RGB. The SP-PRO use WS2812B like everything else.

The SP-RGB fans use a different type of LED and, thus, have a different data protocol for controlling them. They use UCS1903 LEDs while everything else use WS2812B. So the bits put on the wire are different for the different LEDs.

Note that this only applies to the original SP-RGB. The SP-PRO use WS2812B like everything else.

So, "never EVER throw the SP RGB fans into this type of mod." just was regarding RGB? Saying never ever makes it sound like its going to fry the system lol.

So, "never EVER throw the SP RGB fans into this type of mod." just was regarding RGB? Saying never ever makes it sound like its going to fry the system lol.

That's your interpretation. While I can't speak for Zotty, I suspect he said that because of the number of people that do it and then come on hear and complain that nothing works and that Corsair sucks and the world is coming to an end.

While, it's not likely to cause permanent damage, why risk it? It most definitely does not work at all and has led more than one person to think that everything was fried. So yeah, never, ever do it.

That's your interpretation. While I can't speak for Zotty, I suspect he said that because of the number of people that do it and then come on hear and complain that nothing works and that Corsair sucks and the world is coming to an end.

While, it's not likely to cause permanent damage, why risk it? It most definitely does not work at all and has led more than one person to think that everything was fried. So yeah, never, ever do it.

Only doing it temporarily... I want all the fans to be the same, but not going to spend the $100 plus right now to just make the RGB Leds match. I was asking because I thought there was a regard to performance issues not Led issues.

Mixing SP and non SP? On a single fan hub?

Seriously - that will not work. Like ... at all. Not temporarily. Not permanently.

But do what you will.

What do you not understand about me not caring about ****ing RGBS? I am speaking about the actual reason for having fans. SPINNING BLADES. Smartass.

• Sad 1

SPINNING BLADES.

not once did you mention Fan Power connections.

this whole thread has been about RGB. and connections to RGB hubs. . not once did anyone including you mention fan power. Fan Power and RGB are 2 separate connections. and the RGB Fan LED Hub does not have Fan Power Connections,.. guess you didnt bother to read the rgb hub' bit?

Smartass.

HARSH

Now you have insulted a well respect user that came on here in his own time to help you.. well done.

anyways.. you need to go read the below linked thread. will explain everything and save you being confused over how all this works

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Edited by Zotty

Hi, just for clear clarification purposes would I be able to use both the Corsair Ml120 RGB Pro and the SP-120 RGB Pro fans on the same controller? My case came with the SP-120 RGB Pro fans and my AIO cooler came with 2xML120 RGB Pro fans. These editions of the fans have the same LED's according to your post, so would they work? And is there any reason why they wouldn't?

Thanks in advance

• 7 months later...

Well a good one here being that I had sent back my 3 QL 120 fans because I had a broken wire on my Node Core which in that case I had to send them back as a part of a warranty swap. Well, anyways, I still had my 1 QL 120 fan as an exhaust in the back of my Lian Li 011XL Case, so I decided to purchase a 3 pack SP120 Pro RGB with the Node Core while waiting for my other Node Core and replacement QL120 fans. When I linked the QL120 fan and the SP120 Pro RGB fans to the same Node Core, the QL fan mode in iCue worked the same. Now in my spare build housed in the Corsair 200R, I have a Commander Pro with 6 fans attached while I have 3 of the same SP120 Pro RGB Fans I took out of the Lian Li Case once I got my replacement QL120 fans back along with the Node Core along with the ML120 Pro RGB Fans that came with the new H150i Pro Cappelix AIO I installed into my Lian Li Case (My Main Rig) into my spare Corsair 200R case which has inside no Motherboard Controlled RGB Ports at all. I set the mode into the SP RGB Pro Mode, and the ML Pro Fans work in unison with the SP Pro RGB Fans just fine. Obviously this was only done because I used the existing LL120 fans to work with the Corsair Commander Core in my main rig.

To sum it up, I never experienced this until I installed my SP120 Pro RGB, and paired it with the QL120 RGB Fans.

I have 3 SP Pro 120mm fans in the front of the case and two LL 120mm fans as exhaust and on my CPU radiator. I got them to work in sequential order by setting the setup to 5 SP Pro fans. It iCUE automatically detected the extra LEDs in the LLs and compensated. It looks amazing!

It doesn't automatically compensate. You told it "SP-Pro x 5". That generates 8x5=40 LEDs. Your set-up is actually 8 + 8 + 8 + 16 + 16 = 56. You should be short an entire fan. That is a tough combination to set up with no natural base unit number to cover both types. Your best bet is to set it up in reverse with the LL on 1 and 2, SP-PRO on 3-5. You then tell it "LL x 4". That will generate 4 x 16 LED fans. The first two will behave normally. The 3rd LL in the UI will be fans 3 & 4. The first half of the 4th LL is #5. There are an extra 8 virtual LEDs at the end. Absent that, you need to pick a base unit and multiplier large enough to cover 56 LEDs and then stick to static or non-moving patterns.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in this same boat. My wife bought me an LL but I have 2 HD fans installed. The LL fan lights don't come on at all but the Hd lights work just fine. I have not tried having it as a stand-alone yet. The fan runs, just can't configure it in iCue. I do wish you could choose different fan types in the dropdown. Any suggestions are appreciated.

EDIT: I was able to get the lights on all the fans to come on but when I exit iCue, the HD fan goes out.

EDIT #2: If you have 2 HD and 1 LL you can choose 4 light strips and it works fine with Rainbow.

Edited by Neeshac

EDIT #2: If you have 2 HD and 1 LL you can choose 4 light strips and it works fine with Rainbow.

That is the right number of LEDs (12+12+16=40)(strips 4x10), but it may or may not be useful for fan programming. If the HDs are first in line (HD-HD-LL), then another possibility is to tell it "HD x 4". This will make the lighting on the first two correct. The LL will have the outer ring on HD #3 and the inner ring on the first 4 of HD #4. Where things start to get messy is HDs and LLs don't have the same LED numerical labelling. LED #1 is not in the same place for LL and HDs. That is an example of where 4x10 strips might be easier and you simply use the first 12, second 12, and remaining 16 to assign lighting to specific fans.

You probably need to redo your HW Lighting effect. The HW Lighting is tied to lighting set-up, so when you change fan type, you change HW lighting as well.