Corsair Community

(Unofficial) Linux / OSX Driver

MSC

Hey,

just wanted to thank you for the awesome work.

When I get home I will change the .desktop entry a little (category fix and logo change), but I wanted to let you know I made an AUR package for your driver package called ckb-git.

:biggrin:

Thanks, I appreciate it :)

Might want to add libudev (or libsystemd, which has replaced it) to the dependencies, btw - I expect everyone has it already, but you can't be too careful.

What is the difference from the other one?

Other one..?

If you're talking about CUE, it's Windows-only, whereas ckb is for Mac and Linux.

So, the latest version of ckb now includes global remapping for all of the modifier keys, like I said. I also added the ability to launch custom programs, which (with a bit of work) can be used to simulate key macros or other advanced inputs. Look up xdotool on Linux or AppleScript on Mac to see some examples of how to program key commands. I'll build macros in to ckb eventually, but using an external program is a handy workaround for now.

With ckb nearing a "beta" status pretty soon, I wanted to ask a couple of open questions for you guys:

1. What do you think of ckb's auto-save system? Do you like it that way, or would you prefer it used a manual save instead (maybe a save/revert button on the left)?

2. On a related note, do you think an undo/redo system would be worthwhile?

3. Do you think binding modes should be independent from lighting modes? As in, you could switch to different key bindings without switching to different lighting, and vice versa?

I wrote the app with unified binding/lighting modes because that's what CUE does. But now that I've had some time with it, I find I'd like to switch the key bindings depending on what app I'm using, but keep the same lighting setup. Or, sometimes, I'd like to switch to a different lighting without changing the bindings. Either way the current system doesn't work very well for me. I'm curious whether anyone else feels this way or whether you think the app benefits from having them tied together (or if you're just ambivalent, that's fine too).

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, awesome improvements! Thanks again for all your hard work!

As for your questions:

1. I think the auto-save system works well for me. It hasn't been anything that I've looked at and wished was different. It runs very transparent.

2. Undo/Redo would be worthwhile from my experience, especially when working with more complex lighting modes.

3. I agree with your thoughts on the binding/lighting modes.

I haven't done any looking as of yet, but is there a way to bind a key, or key combination to switch modes?

I'm using two OS [on separate disks] Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04. On neither can I install glibc. It is not an option. A look on the internet gives all manner of warnings about a GHOST vulnerability unless one upgrades to a higher number glibc...but I don't see anything about installing glibc if you don't have it installed. It is the only dependancy I now lack. I can not yet run qmake and make. [oh, it seems (?) that libc6 is the 'same' as glibc. So, how do I proceed with that - which is installed. [i tried to run: "qmake && make" - that ran OK, but then running "sudo bin/ckb-daemon" only produced endless 1-25 numbered error messages.

Thanks.

Edited by crazybear

I have a problem I think because I have to open Qt and rebuild cob-project and then write the command in terminal every time i startup my Imac.

I have only one animation but it doesn't remember it, i have saved it to hardware.

Do I something wrong or have I missed something?

I'm using two OS [on separate disks] Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04. On neither can I install glibc. It is not an option. A look on the internet gives all manner of warnings about a GHOST vulnerability unless one upgrades to a higher number glibc...but I don't see anything about installing glibc if you don't have it installed. It is the only dependancy I now lack. I can not yet run qmake and make. [oh, it seems (?) that libc6 is the 'same' as glibc. So, how do I proceed with that - which is installed. Thanks.

So, thanks to MSC, I learned that for Ubuntu you don't need to install glibc [and it is damn near impossible, it seems]...but Ubuntu has 'build-essential' already, so I could use the command "qmake && make”. That seemed to work, and added the new bin folder...but "sudo bin/ckb-daemon" only gave error messages numbered from 1 to 25 and then repeating endlessly.:confused: It also made the RGB keyboard totally unresponsive until reboot.

Edited by crazybear

So far everything is running awesome! I have noticed that if I right-click on an animation to duplicated it, CKB will crash on me though. Also, ckb-daemon is always showing as "not responding" in the activity monitor, I don't think that affects anything, just curious as to why. Thanks again for all the hard work! The modifier switches work perfectly!

Hi, may I ask if your driver for mac allows the importing of CUE profiles? And if not, will it and when might it be available? Great job on the project btw :)

Not yet. Will be at some point, but it's not a high priority so it might be a while.

I have a problem I think because I have to open Qt and rebuild cob-project and then write the command in terminal every time i startup my Imac.

I have only one animation but it doesn't remember it, i have saved it to hardware.

Do I something wrong or have I missed something?

No, I think that's normal. Regarding launching the driver at startup:

Here's a launchd service that should do it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Label</key>
   <string>com.ckb.daemon</string>
   <key>ProgramArguments</key>
   <array>
       <string>/Applications/ckb.app/Contents/Resources/ckb-daemon</string>
       <string>--layout=us</string>
   </array>
   <key>KeepAlive</key>
   <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Change the application path if necessary. Layout auto-detection won't work, so it has to be specified manually (supported layouts are "us", "gb" [uK], "de", "fr", and "se").

Save as /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.ckb.daemon.plist and then run "sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.ckb.daemon.plist && sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.ckb.daemon.plist" to start it. It should run on boot from then on.

I'll eventually include some scripts to do this part automatically, but it should work if you set that up manually for now.

Animations can't be saved to the hardware, the keyboard doesn't support it. You need to have the ckb app (tray icon) running in order for them to work.

So far everything is running awesome! I have noticed that if I right-click on an animation to duplicated it, CKB will crash on me though. Also, ckb-daemon is always showing as "not responding" in the activity monitor, I don't think that affects anything, just curious as to why. Thanks again for all the hard work! The modifier switches work perfectly!

Hmm, not sure. I'll see if there's anything I can do about it.

Well I may have found a bug in Qt...duplicating an animation was working just fine under Linux, but under OSX it caused a crash. Oh the joys of being cross-platform... :rolleyes:

I think the (Not Responding) thing is due to the main event loop not running in the application's main thread. I was planning to move it around anyway, so I'll get to that eventually. At the moment I have a few other items that are a higher priority.

Hi guys,

I've built the most recent master branch (0.0.42-alpha) and you can now get it over at Github:

https://github.com/ccMSC/ckb/releases/tag/0.0.42-alpha

You should now be able to run without needing Qt installed locally - thanks to MSC!

I'll try to keep up with MSC's constant work but my own work is busy at the moment so there may be some delays. Eventually I'll see if a build server of some sort can be set up to do this automatically.

Hi guys,

I've built the most recent master branch (0.0.42-alpha) and you can now get it over at Github:

https://github.com/ccMSC/ckb/releases/tag/0.0.42-alpha

You should now be able to run without needing Qt installed locally - thanks to MSC!

I'll try to keep up with MSC's constant work but my own work is busy at the moment so there may be some delays. Eventually I'll see if a build server of some sort can be set up to do this automatically.

Thanks for this, I was using the old one and couldn't figure out how to do key-bindings. This new version has the key-binding support I was looking for.

Great work MSC and xiy!

Nice, it's working without a preinstalled Qt now :sunglasse

I've added the link to the new binary in the readme.

I'm going to get some scripts set up soon to automatically compile/install the app and run it as a system service so I'm not stuck telling everyone to leave a Terminal window open all the time. Other than that and some Linux USB issues (crazybear hasn't been able to get it working, I'm trying to find out why) the app is almost ready for beta status. At that point I'll likely turn the master branch into a stable version which I won't update often except for bugfixes, while new features get held in a testing branch until I've had time to test them thoroughly.

Hello everyone.

I've seen the work of MSC and xiy and it is very impressing. I'm on a iMac and i'm very disappointed that the Corsair's keyboards doesn't works on OS X & Linux. But thanks to you I'm going to buy the K70 RGB finally ! I hope you will continue to develop your awesome Mac driver, and maybe one day Corsair will release an official driver for everybody thanks to you! Continue both of you MSC and xiy, you're geniuses.

Thanks guys, means a lot to me :)

How will I bind a program to f1 for example?

I go to launch a program on key press but what path should I write?

Tried program/qt creator.app bur it was wrong I think.

To launch a program on OSX you need to use the open command: http://macosx.com/threads/how-to-launch-application-from-terminal.29520/

Here's a more detailed guide with some other options as well: http://www.macissues.com/2014/09/18/how-to-launch-and-quit-applications-in-os-x-using-the-terminal/

Just got k95 RGB for my iMac (mavericks) and I was very dissappointed because of the missing drivers. I was already about to return the device to the shop, but your excellent work made me change my mind! Installation worked without problems and now I'm able to do most of the stuff I need with the keyboard. Still waiting for the release where we get those macros to work with g-keys. Going to donate couple of dollars after we get that one ;)

Btw I tried to configure the macros through windows and save them to the keyboard memory so that I can use those in OSX. I read somewhere it will work atleast with the k90 keyboard. I didn't get it to work, any ideas or is it just so that it's not possible? The lightning profile was working tho. Just trying to find out a workaround before the macro release for this project.

Just got k95 RGB for my iMac (mavericks) and I was very dissappointed because of the missing drivers. I was already about to return the device to the shop, but your excellent work made me change my mind! Installation worked without problems and now I'm able to do most of the stuff I need with the keyboard. Still waiting for the release where we get those macros to work with g-keys. Going to donate couple of dollars after we get that one ;)

Btw I tried to configure the macros through windows and save them to the keyboard memory so that I can use those in OSX. I read somewhere it will work atleast with the k90 keyboard. I didn't get it to work, any ideas or is it just so that it's not possible? The lightning profile was working tho. Just trying to find out a workaround before the macro release for this project.

You can't save macros to device memory with the K95 RGB, unfortunately. Only the basic lighting.

Ok MSC but I meant in the ckb-program in binding/program.

It works the same way as a terminal command. So the command to do what you want would be: open "/Applications/Qt/Qt Creator.app"

Btw is there a way to bind screen brightness keys in binding setup? Couldn't find it from the list. And thank you for your quick answer, didn't know you cant store macros to memory in k95 RGB so using windows for that is out of question then.

Hi.

I used those drivers for my K70 RGB, but now it's randomly not being detected on startup (by grub), and Windows keeps poping me "Unknown device plugged" every 5 minutes.

Any way to fix that, and in the worst case, any way to roll everything back as it was when I bought it?

Thanks.

Btw is there a way to bind screen brightness keys in binding setup? Couldn't find it from the list. And thank you for your quick answer, didn't know you cant store macros to memory in k95 RGB so using windows for that is out of question then.

Not yet - at the moment it's limited to only the keys that are actually on the keyboard. I'll add additional functions in a future build.

Hi.

I used those drivers for my K70 RGB, but now it's randomly not being detected on startup (by grub), and Windows keeps poping me "Unknown device plugged" every 5 minutes.

Any way to fix that, and in the worst case, any way to roll everything back as it was when I bought it?

Thanks.

If it's happening in Windows as well I'd recommend submitting a ticket to Corsair. It might be hardware problem. Also try the kernel cmdline options from the readme, if you haven't already.