Corsair Community

RGB Fan with AIO frustration

Oagrintel

I just did a new build and I was looking forward to using the Corsair H100i Platinum, love the white color and the white LL120s! I went ahead and bought another LL120 fan to use as an exhaust fan as well. Then I did the build I found how what a pain it is to set up the other fan and RGB on it. Don't get me wrong, the H100i Platinum is awesome, the LL120 fans are great and it has great RGB control, but only for the AIO fans... It wasn't the AIO fault, it was my naivety in thinking that adding a third LL120 as an exhaust fan would be an easy add on. Here's where things escalated quickly...

If you want to add any more LL120 fans to your build and have them in synch with the AIO fans, get ready to pay out $64.99 for the ICUE Commander, it has the fan controls and 2 RGB plug-ins, so I thought surely the RGB leads on the Corsair ICUE Commander would connect to Corsair LL120 RGB connectors, right?!?!?!?! Silly rabbit, correct RGB connectors are for hubs! (edit: still true after multiple replies saying I was wrong) You have to buy ANOTHER Corsair product: $54.99 (edit: I stand corrected, hub is on site for $10) for the RGB Fan Hub that has the correct RGB connectors, but no Fan connectors... so if you bought it first you still need to get the ICUE Commander as well. (edit: still true after multiple replies saying I was wrong)

So let me get this straight Corsair... if I want to use Corsair RGB fans in a case, I have to buy 2 separate products for $120 (edit: $85) in order to run the fans and control the RGB?!?!?! Does that sound like a good idea to anyone? I should point out that NZXT sells one product for $24.99 that handles the fans and the RGBs... hmmmn, one product for $24 or two products for $120 (edit: $85)... and they both do THE SAME THING. In this build, I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of paying another $120 (edit:$85) to add 1 more fan, so I took off one of the AIO fans and ran it as case exhaust (still controlled by AIO) ... no biggee other than aesthetics as I am running two Noctua pressure fans as intakes on the AIO in push-pull with only the one LL120 pulling.

Any chance Corsair can apply some common sense and merge those two separate products into one product and sell it at a competitive price?

Edited by Oagrintel

No, you didn’t get it straight. You bought twice as many things as needed, each time not quite understanding how they worked together. The RGB hub is $10 separately. Comes for free in most multi-fan packs along with the required lighting controller (LNP). A Commander Pro is a lighting controller and a fan controller. You would have made the same mistake with NZXT and $24 will not get you lighting and fan control.

The Platinum series coolers were meant to be a stand alone system for those without other Corsair RGB lighting. It’s controller was meant for it alone and if you put into a system with 3-4 other LL fans you likely would not use its controller. Doing a single RGB fan is a tough ask in any of these systems because you require all the control hardware for a single fan. If you would like to believe that is a ploy to drive sales versus the requirements to adequately deliver 3-4 amps of lighting current for multi-fan systems, then I probably won’t be able to convince you. We could have helped here. I certainly won’t claim it is intuitive, but be aware most RGB fan system will have to separate the lighting current from the fan motor current and that creates two distinct phases of control. At least until MB manufacturers start making 2A fan headers.

No, you didn’t get it straight. You bought twice as many things as needed, each time not quite understanding how they worked together. The RGB hub is $10 separately. Comes for free in most multi-fan packs along with the required lighting controller (LNP). A Commander Pro is a lighting controller and a fan controller. You would have made the same mistake with NZXT and $24 will not get you lighting and fan control.

The Platinum series coolers were meant to be a stand alone system for those without other Corsair RGB lighting. It’s controller was meant for it alone and if you put into a system with 3-4 other LL fans you likely would not use its controller. Doing a single RGB fan is a tough ask in any of these systems because you require all the control hardware for a single fan. If you would like to believe that is a ploy to drive sales versus the requirements to adequately deliver 3-4 amps of lighting current for multi-fan systems, then I probably won’t be able to convince you. We could have helped here. I certainly won’t claim it is intuitive, but be aware most RGB fan system will have to separate the lighting current from the fan motor current and that creates two distinct phases of control. At least until MB manufacturers start making 2A fan headers.

The Hub is not $10 (edit: you were right, I missed it in my search: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/c/Cor_Products_Accessories_Parts?q=%3Afeatured%3AambientLightingProductType%3ALighting%2BControllers%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_CorsairLink%3AambientLightingProductType%3AExpansion%2BKit%3AambientLightingProductType%3AStarter%2BKit%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Ambient_Lighting%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Custom_Cooling_Accessories%3AambientLightingCategory%3ARoom%2BLighting%3AambientLightingCategory%3APC%2BCase%2BLighting&text=&pageSize=12#rotatingText. Here's a link to the Corsair RGB Hub for $54.99 that controls only the RGB, no fan control included (it's not currently for sale on Corsair Website): https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CO-8950020-Rgb-Cfan-Compatible/dp/B075GWMJ68/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=corsair+RGB+hub&qid=1580876542&s=home-garden&sr=1-1-catcorr

The Commander does NOT control the RGB lighting on the fans, the connectors on the Commander are for LED strips and are not the same as the RGB connectors from the fans. Corsair sells the Commander for $74.99, that has the controls for the fans: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/iCUE-Commander-PRO-Smart-RGB-Lighting-and-Fan-Speed-Controller/p/CL-9011110-WW

Yes, if you spend $114.99 you get three fans, lighting note and RGB hub... but you still need to buy the commander to control the fans in ICue: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LF1B1Y8/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_nw_mr

So yes, even if you buy the bundle you mentioned, you still need to spend another $74.99 for the Commander to control the fans through ICue... as is confirmed in the Corsair Forum FAQ Diagrams here : https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880&t=173880 (about a third of the way down the 5th diagram shows you need Commander and Hub to control RGB and Fans)

Meanwhile, you can buy an NZXT controller that handles both the RGB and the Fans for $24.99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PM4K93/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or if you buy the package of NZXT fans for $88.25, you get three fans and the controller you need to handle the RGB and the Fans: https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-AER-RGB-Customizations-Controller/dp/B07GVWSDVL/ref=pd_sbs_147_4/132-8197611-0501723?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GVWSDVL&pd_rd_r=d58f056b-b181-4112-8147-8b5e79216b05&pd_rd_w=DtUaS&pd_rd_wg=MAaou&pf_rd_p=bdd201df-734f-454e-883c-73b0d8ccd4c3&pf_rd_r=WHY9SA74CST37ABK93ZH&psc=1&refRID=WHY9SA74CST37ABK93ZH (yes, I am aware the NZXT fans are more airflow whereas the Corsair fans are more pressure, but I have 2 Noctua pressure fans as intake pushing cool air into the AIO)

The bottom line is that if I had bought an NZXT AIO, I could spend another $24 to have an exhaust fan that would be in synch with the AIO, instead I went with Corsair for the AIO and I would have to spend another $120 to have an exhaust fan that would be in synch with the AIO... to the average consumer building on a budget (and space in my case with an ITX case) ... it matters. I see you've made over 10,000 posts here, no offense meant.

I'm not posting this to draw the ire of Corsair fans, I'm genuinely hoping someone at Corsair might see this and go "Wait... what, we sell 2 products for $120 that our competition sells in 1 product for $24?" and maybe in a few months Corsair can adjust their product line to keep up with the competition.

Edited by Oagrintel

The Hub is not $10. Here's a link to the Corsair RGB Hub for $54.99 that controls only the RGB, no fan control included (it's not currently for sale on Corsair Website): https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CO-8950020-Rgb-Cfan-Compatible/dp/B075GWMJ68/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=corsair+RGB+hub&qid=1580876542&s=home-garden&sr=1-1-catcorr

Thats Amazon.....

here is the Corsair Site at $9.99

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020

http://i.imgur.com/RaPCPg7l.png

I wrote the Faq btw

can adjust their product line to keep up with the competition.

You might find the Competition may want to adjust their product line so they can compete with Corsair.. cheaper isnt always better!

Edited by Zotty

Here's the hub for $9.99: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020. Shipping is free, too.

The Commander does control fan lighting. It does so via the Hub. This is done for power reasons. In fact, I currently have 6 QL-RGB and 4 LL RGB fans that are controlled right now on one of my Commander Pro. Another CoPro, in another system, is controlling 6 ML-RGB fans (and strips). And yet a third CoPro, in a third system, is controlling 4 LL fans (and strips too). So ... uhh ... tell me again how the CoPro doesn't control fan lighting?

So you've read the FAQ. Apparently you didn't absorb much or you'd understand what's wrong about your statements. The single fans don't come with the fan hub or the LNP; the multipacks do. They even state that on the packaging - that they are intended as an expansion. And the Lighting Node Pro that comes with the multipacks are perfectly capable of controlling the RGB on the fans; no CoPro is actually required. The FAQ shows different diagrams as examples - they aren't the end-all-be-all in how you can configure things. It's just not possible to do that. Next, the NZXT device you point to doesn't control as much as the Corsair device nor does it have temp sensors. So you're comparing apples and strawberries. But if you want to go there, go for it. Oh, and none of the NZXT coolers come with RGB fans so your math is a bit off. (For the record, I do have some of the NZXT fans and strips and the controller as well.)

While you claim that you aren't posting this to draw the ire of Corsair fans, your post is full of misinformation and outright false statements. It almost smells of deliberately fake news. Almost. But ... rather than look at what you misunderstood, you chose another path ... to insist that your own lack of understanding was, in fact, truth.

And then ... then ... oh, this is rich ... then you decide to argue with c-attack, who happens to be one of the most knowledgeable folks on this here forum, who knows the Corsair stuff inside-out, upside-down, backwards and forwards.

Edited by DevBiker

Thats Amazon.....

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020

I wrote the Faq btw

You might find the Competition may want to adjust their product line so they can compete with Corsair.. cheaper isnt always better!

If you wrote the FAQ then why were you even responding and saying "You bought twice as many things as needed" when in fact I was correct and you do need to buy a Hub and a Commander to synch another LL120 fan with the AIO.

You were also wrong in saying "You would have made the same mistake with NZXT and $24 will not get you lighting and fan control." when in fact the NZXT product does control the Fans and the RGB: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PM4K93/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You DO have to buy 2 more products to add 1 exhaust fan to run in synch with the AIO... okay, the hub is here on Corsair's website for $10, that still leaves you the Commander to pick up for $75 here at Corsair site... and they're both still over 3 times the price of the 1 product from the competition.

So you think it's a good idea to require customers to buy 2 products for $85 to do the same things as the 1 product the competition is selling for $24?

Here's the hub for $9.99: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020. Shipping is free, too.

The Commander does control fan lighting. It does so via the Hub. This is done for power reasons. In fact, I currently have 6 QL-RGB and 4 LL RGB fans that are controlled right now on one of my Commander Pro. Another CoPro, in another system, is controlling 6 ML-RGB fans (and strips). And yet a third CoPro, in a third system, is controlling 4 LL fans (and strips too). So ... uhh ... tell me again how the CoPro doesn't control fan lighting?

So you've read the FAQ. Apparently you didn't absorb much or you'd understand what's wrong about your statements. The single fans don't come with the fan hub or the LNP; the multipacks do. They even state that on the packaging - that they are intended as an expansion. And the Lighting Node Pro that comes with the multipacks are perfectly capable of controlling the RGB on the fans; no CoPro is actually required. The FAQ shows different diagrams as examples - they aren't the end-all-be-all in how you can configure things. It's just not possible to do that. Next, the NZXT device you point to doesn't control as much as the Corsair device nor does it have temp sensors. So you're comparing apples and strawberries. But if you want to go there, go for it. Oh, and none of the NZXT coolers come with RGB fans so your math is a bit off. (For the record, I do have some of the NZXT fans and strips and the controller as well.)

While you claim that you aren't posting this to draw the ire of Corsair fans, your post is full of misinformation and outright false statements. It almost smells of deliberately fake news. Almost. But ... rather than look at what you misunderstood, you chose another path ... to insist that your own lack of understanding was, in fact, truth.

And then ... then ... oh, this is rich ... then you decide to argue with c-attack, who happens to be one of the most knowledgeable folks on this here forum, who knows the Corsair stuff inside-out, upside-down, backwards and forwards.

Per your example of your system, if you buy the HUB AND THE COMMANDER then you can control the RGB of the fans via the Commander... my point all along has been that Corsair fans require the purchase of 2 additional products to control their Fans and the RGB.

That's all I'm saying and it's like I have blasphemy'd in the church of Corsair and I have all the priests and nuns who have written the Corsair bible coming out to tell me of my sinful ways... when in fact I am correct, you do have to buy 2 products to add 1 LL120 to your case.

I get that you guys are all converted, you all drink the Corsair Kool-Aid, and my words are blasphemous to your ears... but please consider that there are other Corsair heathens out there like me, lost souls wandering who have not seen the light, and you may have more luck luring them into the van of free candy if you only made them buy 1 product to drink from the fountain of Corsair RGB Fan holiness.

Or, you can keep up the holier than thou act and shouting down someone who is trying to point out one simple point... you shouldn't have to buy two more products (even if it's $85 not $120) to add one cool LL120 as an exhaust fan and have it work with the other expensive AIO they already bought.

Edited by Oagrintel

What was misinformation about my post? My post was correct, to add 1 LL120 fan as an exhaust fan to my build to go with the H100i platinum SE I bought I would have to buy 2 more products from Corsair. When I searched on the corsair website for the hub, it didn't come up: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/c/Cor_Products_Accessories_Parts?q=%3Afeatured%3AambientLightingProductType%3ALighting%2BControllers%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_CorsairLink%3AambientLightingProductType%3AExpansion%2BKit%3AambientLightingProductType%3AStarter%2BKit%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Ambient_Lighting%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Custom_Cooling_Accessories%3AambientLightingCategory%3ARoom%2BLighting%3AambientLightingCategory%3APC%2BCase%2BLighting&text=&pageSize=12#rotatingText

Apparently you're not allowed to ask questions in the holy house of Corsair [ame=

]
[/ame]

So you've read the FAQ. Apparently you didn't absorb much or you'd understand what's wrong about your statements... And the Lighting Node Pro that comes with the multipacks are perfectly capable of controlling the RGB on the fans; no CoPro is actually required. The FAQ shows different diagrams as examples - they aren't the end-all-be-all in how you can configure things... Next, the NZXT device you point to doesn't control as much as the Corsair device nor does it have temp sensors. So you're comparing apples and strawberries. But if you want to go there, go for it. Oh, and none of the NZXT coolers come with RGB fans so your math is a bit off.

I read the FAQ, and the FAQ clearly shows that the Lighting Node Pro has connectivity to LED strips and to RGB Hubs, not LL120 RGB controls. You can't plug a LL120 fan RGB lead into the Lighting Node Pro, you have to buy an RGB hub and plug the LL120 RGB leads into that, and then you have to buy a Commander and plug the LL120 fan leads into that in order to have your LL120 fan and RGB in synch with the AIO fans and RGB.

You guys have replied and stated I am putting out misinformation and that I have it all wrong, when in fact I do have it right; to add an LL120 as a case fan and have that fan in synch with the AIO, you have to buy 2 more components for $85... over 3 times the price of the 1 product a competitor offers that accomplishes the same function.

I'm not trying to burn down the church of Corsair, I am just trying to make one simple point and ask that maybe in the future the infallible church of Corsair might consider making a change to their product lineup.

If I've offended the congregation then I will gladly excuse myself.

"and yet it moves" -Galileo

I didn’t think it was possible, but you appear to be even more entangled than before. Not just the products, what they do, what you are trying to do, who you are talking to, but the continued apples to oranges comparisons as well. You are right. The total system was not designed to add a single RGB fan. I stated that in the original response. I am not aware of any AIO that can do multi-fan RGB support beyond its own fans for a +1. You have to buy the necessary support hardware regardless of the numbers of fans. That makes the cost for +1 scale poorly on a per fan basis, but don’t expect a lot of sympathy from anyone who just bought 12 QL fans.

I didn’t go to into much detail or try and specifically address your feelings in your original statement. My instincts told me you just wanted to rant and blow off steam. There is something I was right about. Hopefully these 27 paragraphs posted in Custom Water Cooling section make you feel better. I don’t know if any one else will see it, but I will continue to caution users about trying to do the +1 add-on as I have for sometime. Or at least continue to explain so they can make an informed decision before purchasing.

If you wrote the FAQ then why were you even responding and saying "You bought twice as many things as needed"

Did you actually read my post?

Think you are confusing me with someone else. You made at least 3 false accusations aimed at me. All 3 was aimed at the wrong person... and i think this is 99% of your problem.. you dont actually fully read/research anything.. that is clear from the stuff you just accused me of!. Much assumption me thinks.. which seems to be a reoccurring pattern in this thread/story.

I come here in my own time and offer as much help as i can. I spent years perfecting that faq so people like your self wouldnt make assumptions. Yet here we are.. cant help all the people all the time

Bottom line.. you bought into an ecosystem with out researching it...sorry man.. just saying it like it is

Edited by Zotty

I didn’t think it was possible, but you appear to be even more entangled than before. Not just the products, what they do, what you are trying to do, who you are talking to, but the continued apples to oranges comparisons as well. You are right. The total system was not designed to add a single RGB fan. I stated that in the original response. I am not aware of any AIO that can do multi-fan RGB support beyond its own fans for a +1. You have to buy the necessary support hardware regardless of the numbers of fans. That makes the cost for +1 scale poorly on a per fan basis, but don’t expect a lot of sympathy from anyone who just bought 12 QL fans.

I didn’t go to into much detail or try and specifically address your feelings in your original statement. My instincts told me you just wanted to rant and blow off steam. There is something I was right about. Hopefully these 27 paragraphs posted in Custom Water Cooling section make you feel better. I don’t know if any one else will see it, but I will continue to caution users about trying to do the +1 add-on as I have for sometime. Or at least continue to explain so they can make an informed decision before purchasing.

In my original post I was complimentary of the AIO: "Don't get me wrong, the H100i Platinum is awesome" and "It wasn't the AIO fault"

My original point in my original post was clearly stated: "...if I want to use Corsair RGB fans in a case, I have to buy 2 separate products for $120 (edit: $85) in order to run the fans and control the RGB?!?!?! Does that sound like a good idea to anyone?"

Your responded non-sequitur about me purchasing 2 too many products: "You bought twice as many things as needed, each time not quite understanding how they worked together." ... even though I clearly stated I did not buy the additional components "I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of paying another $120 (edit:$85) to add 1 more fan, so I took off one of the AIO fans and ran it as case exhaust"

In my reply to you I also clarified: "I'm not posting this to draw the ire of Corsair fans, I'm genuinely hoping someone at Corsair might see this and go "Wait... what, we sell 2 products for $120 that our competition sells in 1 product for $24?" and maybe in a few months Corsair can adjust their product line to keep up with the competition."

My point still stands, to add 1 LL120 as an exhaust fan you have to buy 2 additional products to synch it with the AIO. Now I know those products are available for $85 no $120, but that's still significantly more than the 1 product a competitor is selling.

I hope Corsair is more open to customer feedback than you are and will revise their product line to put out a "Hub Commander" that can handle Fans and RGB at a competitive price.

Edited by Oagrintel

Think you are confusing me with someone else. You made at least 3 false accusations aimed at me. All 3 was aimed at the wrong person... and i think this is 99% of your problem.. you dont actually fully read/research anything.. that is clear from the stuff you just accused me of!. Much assumption me thinks.. which seems to be a reoccurring pattern in this thread/story.

I come here in my own time and offer as much help as i can. I spent years perfecting that faq so people like your self wouldnt make assumptions. Yet here we are.. cant help all the people all the time

Bottom line.. you bought into an ecosystem with out researching it...sorry man.. just saying it like it is

You're right, it's my fault for buying the AIO and the LL120 without reading your FAQ more closely the first time.

I build on a budget, my build was based on a good deal for a used I5 8600k, a used motherboard and a used SSD. I splurged on the AIO (and the graphics card too) cause I got over excited about how awesome it looks. It performs well, and aside from one mistake in me not realizing the additional components that would be needed, I am VERY happy with it's performance.

I like my build as it is: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/edit/?userbuild=gTXPxr

I like the FAQ you wrote, reading your FAQ saved me from spending $85 more to buy the required 2 more products to run 1 more LL120. Your FAQ was where I learned that you can't connect the LL120 RGB leads to the Commander and that you have to buy the Hub to connect it to the Commander so the Commander can run the Fans and the Hub can run the RGB.

Thank you for writing the FAQ, I apologize for offending you with my observations about the Corsair products and subsequent feedback requesting an update to the Corsair products.

I'll leave this back and forth with the same thing I ended my original post with... "Any chance Corsair can apply some common sense and merge those two separate products into one product and sell it at a competitive price?" ... in the hopes that maybe Corsair will be open to feedback and provide 1 competitively priced product that controls the Fans and the RGB.

My original point in my original post was clearly stated: "...if I want to use Corsair RGB fans in a case, I have to buy 2 separate products for $120 (edit: $85) in order to run the fans and control the RGB?!?!?! Does that sound like a good idea to anyone?"

Any this is where your initial difficulty started. Are you trying to have RGB control over the LL fan? Or do you want a 6 port fan controller that can potentially control all of your case fans. Those are two different things.

All you need for lighting control is a Lighting Node Pro and the RGB Hub. As stated, those come for free in the mult-packs and the idea is most people do want to buy a single RGB fan. You can buy the LNP expansion kit, which also comes with 4 LED strips, and then your RGB hub. That's $40 + 10 and you get 4 strips as well. Regardless, this is all you need to control the RGB lighting.

You want software control over fan speed for the entire system? You obviously are already running the 3 case fans from the motherboard, like most people. The 2 AIO fans have their own internal fan controller that is iCUE controlled. So let's assume this is what you want. $55 for the Commander Pro. That is fan controller and lighting controller in one. You still need the RGB Lighting Hub for $10 or the fans will not have lighting current. That is how it works. Fans get their power from a fan controller. Lighting gets its power on a different SATA line because of the required current levels. So that's $64 + 10.

None of those calculations match the argument you are trying to make, other than the "it may not be cost effective to add 1 fan". No one is disputing that, but that's not even what you want. I suggest you take a detailed look at the 3 port NZXT controller you keep comparing to the 6 port fan controller of the Commander Pro. Hey, it has half as many ports and costs half as much. Except that is not all and the 3 port model has other limitations. You can go over to the NZXT forums and do your own research. What you definitely don't need is a Commander Pro, Lighting Node Pro, and RGB Lighting hub all together -- unless you are going to add 23 more RGB fans. That is your $120.

You didn't come here to leave feedback. You came here to rant and your tone and madcap posting is a living testament to that. Perhaps you are young and have not really learned to communicate in a professional or semi-adult fashion -- like someone seeking information. Either way your original assertion that "If you want to add any more LL120 fans to your build and have them in synch with the AIO fans get ready to pay out $64.99 for the ICUE Commander" was incorrect. Your problem is you didn't want lighting control for a single fan. You wanted lighting control for the entire system, plus fan control, plus the ability to synchronize the fans speed of two other fans with your radiator fans. That's not the same as sticking an LL in the rear slot and wanting to match the lighting. This is where you "didn't get things straight". I assumed because of fairly normal misunderstanding and no one said this stuff is common knowledge. But your continual insistence to argue this like a moral crime is misplaced.

I am sorry Corsair does not make a combo fan/lighting controller with the exact number of fans you are currently using. I currently have builds with 8 and 9 fan each. Corsair does not make an 8 or 9 fan controller. I am going to immediately petition Corsair and fill up their forum pages with complaints about how they are not serving my needs. Do they not realize some people have 9 fans? Doesn't everyone have 9 fans? They need to get on this immediately and all those with 7 fans can kiss my @@@. They are just going to have to pay for extra fan slots they won't use and like it. Unless of course I am being childish and entirely ignorant of the business aspect of making 9 different size controllers.

For what you actually wanted to do (1 more RGB fan, AIO radiator push-pull sync), I would have laid out two options:

1) LNP expansion kit + 1 LL120 single + RGB lighting hub. ($40 + $25-34 +10). This gets you your rear exhaust LL to match the other two with lighting control. Then take the Noctuas (model #?) and run them off a splitter for one fan channel and the two LL120s on a splitter for the other fan channel. The Platinum has 2 fan channel with independent control which will help with any issues regarding PWM % differences. You can run two adjusted curves to match on each side of the radiator. Move the RGB wires from the pump controller to the LNP so all three LLs will sync natively vs through the Platinum.

2) LL120 Triple pack (white presumably). Price varies from $90-120. This is your all included pack with LNP, RGB hub and three LL fans. Drop the Noctuas. In push pull they make no difference and are more likely to cause slight noise variances when paired with a dissimilar fan blade on the other side. You can still run 4 fan motors from the Platinum controller for speed control. All fan lighting wires go on on the RGB Hub and LNP to make them act as one unit. This is slightly more than option 1, but is easily obtainable and might offer more interesting lighting than option 1. The wild card is the strips and their desirability for you.

In neither of these situations do you need the Commander Pro unless there are additional fans in the system you would like to control for speed. Or maybe you just want it and the control options can be explained. This is the kind of conversation we have when you come and ask questions versus explaining to world what's wrong with their products before you understand them. You can nitpick after that about it not being exactly designed for your system. Next time... ask first.

Edited by c-attack

Any this is where your initial difficulty started. Are you trying to have RGB control over the LL fan? Or do you want a 6 port fan controller that can potentially control all of your case fans. Those are two different things.

All you need for lighting control is a Lighting Node Pro and the RGB Hub. As stated, those come for free in the mult-packs and the idea is most people do want to buy a single RGB fan. You can buy the LNP expansion kit, which also comes with 4 LED strips, and then your RGB hub. That's $40 + 10 and you get 4 strips as well. Regardless, this is all you need to control the RGB lighting.

You want software control over fan speed for the entire system? You obviously are already running the 3 case fans from the motherboard, like most people. The 2 AIO fans have their own internal fan controller that is iCUE controlled. So let's assume this is what you want. $55 for the Commander Pro. That is fan controller and lighting controller in one. You still need the RGB Lighting Hub for $10 or the fans will not have lighting current. That is how it works. Fans get their power from a fan controller. Lighting gets its power on a different SATA line because of the required current levels. So that's $64 + 10.

None of those calculations match the argument you are trying to make, other than the "it may not be cost effective to add 1 fan". No one is disputing that, but that's not even what you want. I suggest you take a detailed look at the 3 port NZXT controller you keep comparing to the 6 port fan controller of the Commander Pro. Hey, it has half as many ports and costs half as much. Except that is not all and the 3 port model has other limitations. You can go over to the NZXT forums and do your own research. What you definitely don't need is a Commander Pro, Lighting Node Pro, and RGB Lighting hub all together -- unless you are going to add 23 more RGB fans. That is your $120.

You didn't come here to leave feedback. You came here to rant and your tone and madcap posting is a living testament to that. Perhaps you are young and have not really learned to communicate in a professional or semi-adult fashion -- like someone seeking information. Either way your original assertion that "If you want to add any more LL120 fans to your build and have them in synch with the AIO fans get ready to pay out $64.99 for the ICUE Commander" was incorrect. Your problem is you didn't want lighting control for a single fan. You wanted lighting control for the entire system, plus fan control, plus the ability to synchronize the fans speed of two other fans with your radiator fans. That's not the same as sticking an LL in the rear slot and wanting to match the lighting. This is where you "didn't get things straight". I assumed because of fairly normal misunderstanding and no one said this stuff is common knowledge. But your continual insistence to argue this like a moral crime is misplaced.

I am sorry Corsair does not make a combo fan/lighting controller with the exact number of fans you are currently using. I currently have builds with 8 and 9 fan each. Corsair does not make an 8 or 9 fan controller. I am going to immediately petition Corsair and fill up their forum pages with complaints about how they are not serving my needs. Do they not realize some people have 9 fans? Doesn't everyone have 9 fans? They need to get on this immediately and all those with 7 fans can kiss my @@@. They are just going to have to pay for extra fan slots they won't use and like it. Unless of course I am being childish and entirely ignorant of the business aspect of making 9 different size controllers.

For what you actually wanted to do (1 more RGB fan, AIO radiator push-pull sync), I would have laid out two options:

1) LNP expansion kit + 1 LL120 single + RGB lighting hub. ($40 + $25-34 +10). This gets you your rear exhaust LL to match the other two with lighting control. Then take the Noctuas (model #?) and run them off a splitter for one fan channel and the two LL120s on a splitter for the other fan channel. The Platinum has 2 fan channel with independent control which will help with any issues regarding PWM % differences. You can run two adjusted curves to match on each side of the radiator. Move the RGB wires from the pump controller to the LNP so all three LLs will sync natively vs through the Platinum.

2) LL120 Triple pack (white presumably). Price varies from $90-120. This is your all included pack with LNP, RGB hub and three LL fans. Drop the Noctuas. In push pull they make no difference and are more likely to cause slight noise variances when paired with a dissimilar fan blade on the other side. You can still run 4 fan motors from the Platinum controller for speed control. All fan lighting wires go on on the RGB Hub and LNP to make them act as one unit. This is slightly more than option 1, but is easily obtainable and might offer more interesting lighting than option 1. The wild card is the strips and their desirability for you.

In neither of these situations do you need the Commander Pro unless there are additional fans in the system you would like to control for speed. Or maybe you just want it and the control options can be explained. This is the kind of conversation we have when you come and ask questions versus explaining to world what's wrong with their products before you understand them. You can nitpick after that about it not being exactly designed for your system. Next time... ask first.

My posts have been clear: If you want to add a LL120 to a build using a H100i Platinum SE and have that Fan and RGB synch'd with the AIO Fans and RGB, you have to buy 2 additional Corsair components for $85. Something I didn't budget for in my build, but it's okay I found a work around that works fine. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/gTXPxr

I've already acknowledged I did not find the Hub listed on the Corsair website for $10... why do you continue to beat that dead horse?

I've already acknowledged that I did not see your FAQ that confirms this and explains this in detail, why do you feel the need to continue to flame me?

This is your world, you're the man here, I'm not doubting that, I'm not disputing that. I have done my best to clarify what my point was, I understand you doubt my sincerity on that... okay.

I did come here to try and communicate feedback, and in return I've had my post turned into 1,001 straw-man arguments, and I've received replies that have been mostly ad-hominem arguments questioning my reading comprehension, age and intent.

You win, this is your world, I was wrong to have come here and tried to share feedback. I'll take my lesson learned about synchronizing Corsair Fans and RGB and I will move on.

Thank you very much!

[ame=https://youtu.be/OL5DX05gNNk?t=154]https://youtu.be/OL5DX05gNNk?t=154[/ame]

Edited by Oagrintel

You're right, it's my fault for buying the AIO and the LL120 without reading your FAQ more closely the first time.

this has been the problem all along buddy. My FAQ exists purely to help but has to be read fully to be understood.. and not just once imho.

i mean... how much was that singular fan? around $25? that is not cheap for a computer fan and at that price you should have asked your self why and researched a little more.. which is exactly what i did and exactly why i made the FAQ.

in the hopes that maybe Corsair will be open to feedback and provide 1 competitively priced product that controls the Fans and the RGB.

they do.. its called the Commander Pro dude... given what it does.. its priced fair compared to what others offer at their price point.

if you take time to read what the Commander Pro offers compared to whats available else where you will understand the price difference.

6 fan headers

2 RGB channels

4 Thermister headers

2 USB headers

2 rgb hub cables

4 thermister probs

4 pwm extensions.

and a suite of software support thats is above and beyond what anyone else has on offer and not just rgb control or fan control but full system monitoring.. the ability to sync your AIO into it along with many other Corsair devices. did i mentioning controlling Asus motherboards RGB too?..

the reason for the hubs is versatility. if they made it so it only controlled 6 fans directly what would i do with my 32 LL fans?.. thats a lot of Commander Pro's buddy... but with how this eco system works i have managed to control and sync all 32 fans RGB and RPM with one Commander Pro!.

there is no other company offering anything even close to what the Commander Pro can do. same for iCUE

http://i.imgur.com/YAr2usPl.png

http://i.imgur.com/JiF2yqyl.jpg

Click for full res .

you mention what Nzxt have to offer.. well i was a Nzxt user prior to moving over to Corsair... i moved because i couldn't cope with the failures and then the following lack of decent after sales support any more. and then there was the software.. omg.. have you read up on it? i suggest you do.. as i said.. cheaper isnt always better buddy.. a good saying my grandfather used to say still stands well today... Pay Peanuts.. get Monkeys..

Thank you for writing the FAQ, I apologize for offending you with my observations about the Corsair products and subsequent feedback requesting an update to the Corsair products.

and there it is again.

is it intended sarcasm maybe? but aimed at the wrong person? because that does not apply to anything i have said in any way shape or form buddy... here are both my posts.. show me where i questioned your observations aside from the price of the hub?

Thats Amazon.....

POST 1

I wrote the Faq btw

---------------------------------------------------------------------

POST 2

anyways... all that aside..

I am here to help man.. and happy to help i am.. if you would rather seek advice in private so things don't go pear shaped as it seams they did here.. PM me any time matey... i really am happy to answer questions/give advice/help out where i can...

Zotty

PS,, absolutely no offence meant.. or Sarcasm implied.. purely trying to help man.. and of course show you the bigger picture and maybe the impact of the words you may use ;).

PPS... its nice to be nice :).. i like nice.. its nice ;):;):

Edited by Zotty

Thats Amazon.....

I wrote the Faq btw

EDIT: Read my response to your second post first.

Sorry, I lost track of this post amid the rest of the responses I was getting, apologies for the mis-reply

Thank you for the FAQ as well!

I bought the H100i and the LL120 after a I saw the Commander on the shelf at Best Buy and confirmed what I had read on the web-site about it handling "Digital RGB lighting and Fan Speed Controller" I thought it would control the Fans and their RGB, so I bought 2 x LL120 fans and the H100i Platinum SE before the money burned a hole in my pocket. I was thinking I would be able to buy a Commander next paycheck and have the RGB and Fan control in one product... I was putting my new build together "One piece at a time" (for any Johnny Cash fans out there). Then when it came time to buy the Commander, I saw that as far as the LED goes, the Commander only controls RGB strips and older RGB fans, not LL120 RGB, i.e. it doesn't have the 4 pin RGB connector that the LL120 needs. Then I took a closer look at the your FAQ (thank you for doing it) and saw I would need a RGB Hub. I looked on the Corsair site and didn't see it listed in and among the Commander and Lighting Node.

I found it on Amazon for more $$, I think I saw you (?) respond to a comment on Amazon pointing out it was available for $9.99 on the Corsair site? When I saw that comment on Amazon I tried again to find it on the Corsair site, I looked and looked on your website and could not find it (search links below, I'm not making it up) but I didn't see it listed under any of the searches I was doing for RGB or Fan searches. Yes, feel free to poke fun at me for not searching for the exact product name, but when I saw the Commander and Lighting Node come up, I figured I was in the right place.

I'm not arguing it's not there, I'm just trying to provide feedback that when a new customer goes looking for it, it doesn't come up on any of the RGB control or Fan control related searches:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/c/Cor_Products_Accessories_Parts?q=%3Afeatured%3AambientLightingCategory%3APC%2BCase%2BLighting%3AambientLightingCategory%3ARoom%2BLighting%3AambientLightingProductType%3AExpansion%2BKit%3AambientLightingProductType%3ALighting%2BControllers%3AambientLightingProductType%3AStarter%2BKit%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Ambient_Lighting%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_CorsairLink%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Custom_Cooling_Accessories&text=&pageSize=12#rotatingText

I had tried a couple of ways...

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Ambient-Lighting/c/Cor_Products_Ambient_Lighting?q=%3Afeatured%3AambientLightingCategory%3APC%2BCase%2BLighting%3AambientLightingCategory%3ARoom%2BLighting%3AambientLightingProductType%3AExpansion%2BKit%3AambientLightingProductType%3ALighting%2BControllers%3AambientLightingProductType%3AStarter%2BKit&text=&pageSize=12#rotatingText

Any chance that in the future either the RGB connection on the Commander could include LL120 fan RGB leads, or the Lighting Hub could add a few LL120 Fan connections?

Edited by Oagrintel

Edit: Read this one first

Apologies, I did mix up your post about the Hub being available for $9.99 with the other replies I was getting.

Fair point about my research errors...

I looked on the Corsair Web Site and saw where the Commander description said "Create, customize, and synchronize stunning RGB lighting effects when you connect CORSAIR RGB fans", and "Two RGB lighting channels combined with powerful CORSAIR iCUE software complete customization of individually addressable RGB LED strips and CORSAIR RGB fans." https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/iCUE-CONTROLLERS/iCUE-Commander-PRO-Smart-RGB-Lighting-and-Fan-Speed-Controller/p/CL-9011110-WW

Based on that, I went and looked at the Commander box in Best Buy and I saw where it said on the Box "Digital RGB Lighting and Fan Speed Controller"

I didn't make this up, it even said on the description... "Dual-channel lighting conduct a symphony of RGB lighting with individually addressable RGB LED strips (sold separately) and unleash the full RGB potential of the HD RGB and SP RGB fans (sold separately)."

... my mistake, I read "... RGB fans..." and as an old guy doing my first build in a long time I wasn't paying attention to the "...SP..." in front, I failed to realize the difference between a LL120 and SP120 at the time... I figured an RGB fan is an RGB fan and the Commander says it could control the RGB... obviously I was wrong.

I did find your FAQ when I was double checking things before I bought the Commander, and that was what made me realize the Commander wouldn't control the LL120 Fan RGB. My error was in reading where the packaging says "Digital RGB Lighting and Fan Speed Controller".

Yes, I realize now my original post on Corsair Forums has definitely come across as more blasphemous then helpful, but my intent was to let my lessons learned be a warning to others: Commander doesn't control newer FAN RGB, you'll have to buy a second piece to control the Fan RGB on the LL120 Fans (granted, its easier to find for $54.99 on Amazon than it is to find it on Corsair site for $9.99, but it's there), and to ask Corsair if there's the possibility of providing one combined product similar to what your competition is providing at a more competitive price.

Can you please talk to whoever handles the web site and ask them to add the $9.99 Hub to the search under 'ambient lighting': https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Ambient-Lighting/c/Cor_Products_Ambient_Lighting?sort=price-desc&pageSize=12&q=%3Aprice-asc%3AambientLightingCategory%3APC%2BCase%2BLighting%3AambientLightingCategory%3ARoom%2BLighting%3AambientLightingProductType%3AExpansion%2BKit%3AambientLightingProductType%3ALighting%2BControllers%3AambientLightingProductType%3AStarter%2BKit#rotatingText

... or even 'accessories': https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/c/Cor_Products_Accessories_Parts?q=%3Afeatured%3AambientLightingCategory%3APC%2BCase%2BLighting%3AambientLightingCategory%3ARoom%2BLighting%3AambientLightingProductType%3AExpansion%2BKit%3AambientLightingProductType%3ALighting%2BControllers%3AambientLightingProductType%3AStarter%2BKit%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Ambient_Lighting%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_CorsairLink%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Custom_Cooling_Accessories&text=&pageSize=12#rotatingText

Edited by Oagrintel

this has been the problem all along buddy. My FAQ exists purely to help but has to be read fully to be understood.. and not just once imho.

i mean... how much was that singular fan? around $25? that is not cheap for a computer fan and at that price you should have asked your self why and researched a little more.. which is exactly what i did and exactly why i made the FAQ.

they do.. its called the Commander Pro dude... given what it does.. its priced fair compared to what others offer at their price point.

if you take time to read what the Commander Pro offers compared to whats available else where you will understand the price difference.

6 fan headers

2 RGB channels

4 Thermister headers

2 USB headers

2 rgb hub cables

4 thermister probs

4 pwm extensions.

and a suite of software support thats is above and beyond what anyone else has on offer and not just rgb control or fan control but full system monitoring.. the ability to sync your AIO into it along with many other Corsair devices. did i mentioning controlling Asus motherboards RGB too?..

the reason for the hubs is versatility. if they made it so it only controlled 6 fans directly what would i do with my 32 LL fans?.. thats a lot of Commander Pro's buddy... but with how this eco system works i have managed to control and sync all 32 fans RGB and RPM with one Commander Pro!.

there is no other company offering anything even close to what the Commander Pro can do. same for iCUE

http://i.imgur.com/YAr2usPl.png

http://i.imgur.com/JiF2yqyl.jpg

Click for full res .

you mention what Nzxt have to offer.. well i was a Nzxt user prior to moving over to Corsair... i moved because i couldn't cope with the failures and then the following lack of decent after sales support any more. and then there was the software.. omg.. have you read up on it? i suggest you do.. as i said.. cheaper isnt always better buddy.. a good saying my grandfather used to say still stands well today... Pay Peanuts.. get Monkeys..

and there it is again.

is it intended sarcasm maybe? but aimed at the wrong person? because that does not apply to anything i have said in any way shape or form buddy... here are both my posts.. show me where i questioned your observations aside from the price of the hub?

anyways... all that aside..

I am here to help man.. and happy to help i am.. if you would rather seek advice in private so things don't go pear shaped as it seams they did here.. PM me any time matey... i really am happy to answer questions/give advice/help out where i can...

Zotty

PS,, absolutely no offence meant.. or Sarcasm implied.. purely trying to help man.. and of course show you the bigger picture and maybe the impact of the words you may use ;).

PPS... its nice to be nice :).. i like nice.. its nice ;):;):

First let me say thanks for the reply despite my frustrated "who's on first..." mis-replies to your previous posts. I apologize, I was mixing up your replies with some of the other replies I was getting. I replied to your earlier posts once I realized my mistake.

You are correct, the Commander Pro has a lot of good functions, for me it does half of what I want, and it can handle 99 other problems I don't have ;)

... wait ... did you say you have 32 fans? Tuesday night at 9:00 at the YMCA is a meeting you need to go to, stand up and say "My name is Zotty and I am addicted to RGB", just kidding... but seriously, lol. But before you go, please tell me more about controlling the ASUS Motherboard LED control, would I have to buy the Commander for that or can I do it through icue? Asus Aura doesn't match the colors/features of Icue.

My system is a lot simpler, just an AIO and an exhaust fan https://pcpartpicker.com/b/gTXPxr

I'm considering adding the Commander so I could add the other LL120 to the AIO and still have LL120 for exhaust and I appreciate the Hub is only $9.99, but it's more of an issue of having room in the ITX case for two more components and the wiring back and forth as well. I guess I could put them under the roof of my case to keep them out of the way.

I appreciate your feedback on your experience with NZXT, I am considering it more to get matching RGB fans on the AIO and case exhaust (heavy lifting of cooling being done by Noctua pressure fans on AIO intake) and to have 1 small controller that's easier to hide in the ITX case than 2 controllers.

Am I the only customer that has asked for LL120 RGB and Fan control in 1 product not 2? (not being sarcastic)

(slight sarcasm) Is Corsair aware of ITX cases and the trend of components getting smaller?

Thanks in advance for not making any size jokes of your build vs mine!

No worries man.....

RGB hub seems to find it in the store......

http://i.imgur.com/BUowEiGl.png

[Full Sarcasm] Now you're just showing off...

I apologize if this is just the frustration of a new customer that didn't realize what is common knowledge [no sarcasm], but for every outspoken customer with a question there are hundreds of customers who silently took their $$$ elsewhere without asking.

Take off your 'Corsair Expert' hat for a second, and imagine you're a hypothetical NEW customer, NEW to Corsair RGBs, FANs, AIOs, etc. If the Hub is that critical of a component why isn't it listed under 'ambient lighting' next to the Commander, the Lighting Node, and the RGB strips? I stumbled on it after looking on Amazon, and from there I went back to Corsair and didn't find it listed anywhere under the same searches that show the Commander, the Lighting Node, and the RGB strips... shouldn't it be there with the other associated components?

Here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/c/Cor_Products_Accessories_Parts?q=%3Afeatured%3AambientLightingCategory%3APC%2BCase%2BLighting%3AambientLightingCategory%3ARoom%2BLighting%3AambientLightingProductType%3AExpansion%2BKit%3AambientLightingProductType%3ALighting%2BControllers%3AambientLightingProductType%3AStarter%2BKit%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Ambient_Lighting%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_CorsairLink%3AproductCategories%3ACor_Products_Custom_Cooling_Accessories&text=&pageSize=12#rotatingText

or here:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Ambient-Lighting/c/Cor_Products_Ambient_Lighting?q=%3Afeatured%3AambientLightingCategory%3APC%2BCase%2BLighting%3AambientLightingCategory%3ARoom%2BLighting%3AambientLightingProductType%3AExpansion%2BKit%3AambientLightingProductType%3ALighting%2BControllers%3AambientLightingProductType%3AStarter%2BKit&text=&pageSize=12#rotatingText

Don't get me wrong, you are right it's there if you do a specific search for it, but [slight sarcasm] is it intended to be a like a scavenger hunt for customers to find what they need? Do we have to do a specific search for that specific thing we didn't know about and won't come up in the standard searches that list all the other RGB products?

/rant off, appreciate your help and patience with my misplaced "who's on first" frustration.

[ame=

]
[/ame] Edited by Oagrintel

...Then when it came time to buy the Commander, I saw that as far as the LED goes, the Commander only controls RGB strips and older RGB fans, not LL120 RGB, i.e. it doesn't have the 4 pin RGB connector that the LL120 needs. Then I took a closer look at the your FAQ (thank you for doing it) and saw I would need a RGB Hub.

Any chance that in the future either the RGB connection on the Commander could include LL120 fan RGB leads, or the Lighting Hub could add a few LL120 Fan connections?

We are are still wrestling with the hardware functions. The Lighting Node Pro (LNP) is a "RGB Lighting controller" with no fan speed control. The Commander Pro is a LNP with a fan controller, and thus the large difference in size. You have to have one of those devices in order to get the software to interface with the hardware.

The little 6 port "RGB Lighting Hub" has a different, but very necessary function. It supplies the lighting power to those fans via the 5v SATA liner. A typical LL fan uses a maximum of 0.30A for the fan motor (motherboard or other fan controller). 6 would use 1.8A, which isn't all that much. On the other side the lighting current for a single LL fan can reach 0.6A. 6 of those at 3.6A is getting close the limits for what you can supply and ultimately it is the lighting current that limits what you can and cannot do when designing or implementing them.

All of the fans need that RGB Lighting Hub to supply the lighting power. Some of the very first ones (HD and SP-original) had a thumb remote to manually shift through, as was common on the prior generation. That thumb remote was/is replaced the LNP or C-Pro. You still have to have the RGB Lighting Hub or there is no lighting power.

No, you are absolutely not the first person to want to add a single RGB fan to the system and then run into the wall of terminology and hardware, plus a tangle of wires. As I have stated and you were able to figure on your own, the economics of adding a single with all necessary hardware is not very good. How many would want a single fan RGB hub? Probably not reasonable. OK, 3. But does the cost of manufacturing and hardware drive the price up further than it what you would expect? The NZXT 3 fan version is about half the price vs the 6 port C-Pro, but it is a lot less than half the controller. I understand you don't need or immediately see a use for those functions, but they are essential for a control in this ecosystem and I would use a Commander Pro even if I had no RGB fans. Does it make sense for them to manufacture a stripped down 3 port version for say 60% of the cost? There certainly are economy of scale considerations. It seems highly likely someone already ran those calculations. Either way, the point was not make people buy more fans. 6 is the magic number in a lot of systems. You have an ITX build going. There is always going to be an element of compromise because of the size limitations. I understand and that is why neither of the two recommendations I made for you include a Commander Pro, even if it is indispensable for me.

You asked about combing the RGB hub and the LNP (or other lighting software interface device). They have done this. It is the Lighting Node Core. To my knowledge, it is only offered as included equipment on the new QL and SP-Pro fans. Would it have been more cost or space effective for you? I am not sure. I suspect it would work out the same in cost and you can decide what is easier - two small packages or one larger one. However, there are always compromises made and it has some limitations as well. Ultimately we are unlikely to get one giant 6 port fan controller and lighting hub in one package both in terms of current requirements and the resulting heat. The Commander Pro gets a little warm as is. Adding in 3-4A of lighting current to another chunk on the circuit board won't help with that.

Edited by c-attack

We are are still wrestling with the hardware functions. The Lighting Node Pro (LNP) is a "RGB Lighting controller" with no fan speed control. The Commander Pro is a LNP with a fan controller, and thus the large difference in size. You have to have one of those devices in order to get the software to interface with the hardware.

The little 6 port "RGB Lighting Hub" has a different, but very necessary function. It supplies the lighting power to those fans via the 5v SATA liner. A typical LL fan uses a maximum of 0.30A for the fan motor (motherboard or other fan controller). 6 would use 1.8A, which isn't all that much. On the other side the lighting current for a single LL fan can reach 0.6A. 6 of those at 3.6A is getting close the limits for what you can supply and ultimately it is the lighting current that limits what you can and cannot do when designing or implementing them.

All of the fans need that RGB Lighting Hub to supply the lighting power. Some of the very first ones (HD and SP-original) had a thumb remote to manually shift through, as was common on the prior generation. That thumb remote was/is replaced the LNP or C-Pro. You still have to have the RGB Lighting Hub or there is no lighting power.

No, you are absolutely not the first person to want to add a single RGB fan to the system and then run into the wall of terminology and hardware, plus a tangle of wires. As I have stated and you were able to figure on your own, the economics of adding a single with all necessary hardware is not very good. How many would want a single fan RGB hub? Probably not reasonable. OK, 3. But does the cost of manufacturing and hardware drive the price up further than it what you would expect? The NZXT 3 fan version is about half the price vs the 6 port C-Pro, but it is a lot less than half the controller. I understand you don't need or immediately see a use for those functions, but they are essential for a control in this ecosystem and I would use a Commander Pro even if I had no RGB fans. Does it make sense for them to manufacture a stripped down 3 port version for say 60% of the cost? There certainly are economy of scale considerations. It seems highly likely someone already ran those calculations. Either way, the point was not make people buy more fans. 6 is the magic number in a lot of systems. You have an ITX build going. There is always going to be an element of compromise because of the size limitations. I understand and that is why neither of the two recommendations I made for you include a Commander Pro, even if it is indispensable for me.

You asked about combing the RGB hub and the LNP (or other lighting software interface device). They have done this. It is the Lighting Node Core. To my knowledge, it is only offered as included equipment on the new QL and SP-Pro fans. Would it have been more cost or space effective for you? I am not sure. I suspect it would work out the same in cost and you can decide what is easier - two small packages or one larger one. However, there are always compromises made and it has some limitations as well. Ultimately we are unlikely to get one giant 6 port fan controller and lighting hub in one package both in terms of current requirements and the resulting heat. The Commander Pro gets a little warm as is. Adding in 3-4A of lighting current to another chunk on the circuit board won't help with that.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the explanation and a better understanding of the full features of the Commander, Hub and the larger system it was designed to work in.

I am definitely getting a better sense of the focus of Corsairs product line up (and I don't mean this in any sort of derogatory way) being the bigger custom machines that feature more fans, multiple AIO, custom loops, etc. If I understand that somewhat correctly, I have a better understanding of how my feedback concerning my limited application of the 1 Fan and AIO came across.

I appreciate the explanation of the electrical limitations that sound somewhat prohibitive to make a product that would support the Fan and RGB requirements in the builds the majority of your customers have, i.e it wouldn't work combining 6 Fan controls with 6 RGB controls in one Component. I think I have a better understanding of why Corsair has those as two separate products... most of your customers are going to have to have 3-4 of each anyway, it makes sense to split them up by function in builds the scale a lot of your customers probably use them in.

As Zotty pointed out, it seems I took a couple pieces out of a larger ecosystem design and I'm complaining how it doesn't work in my limited smaller design... which is fair enough.

An approximate (not exact) automotive analogy would be I can't complain if I added big Corsair Sub-woofers & Amp, and then have to add the Corsair Battery and Fuzebox. If i want the cool AIO and case fan, I would have to accept the bigger Commander and Lighting Node which are made to work in bigger applications than I'm using.

Maybe in the future Corsair could release some sort of 'half commander' with an eye for the ITX crowd that could handle 3-4 RGB and 3-4 Fan controllers not 6 each? Maybe there'd be enough interest from other builders like me that would buy it and make it worth selling? ... here's hoping!

[ame=

]
[/ame] Edited by Oagrintel