View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 706787
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

So the PSU here held a charge for quite a while, but that was with no load at all. I can't get those fans here in the states and I hesitate to use a different LED fan because the efficiency of the LEDs can differ. Any load I put on the PSU drains the test PSU almost immediately. If the behavior you're seeing is normal, then clearly the LEDs used in the Aerocool fans are quite unique as they're operating at a very low voltage (assuming the voltage on you +12V is as low as mine.... which we can't determine until you get your hands on a DMM).

The other thought was that the primary cap was somehow charging the secondary caps while the PSU is off, which shouldn't happen. So if that was happening, it would certainly be a defective PSU. But the PSU would have failed hi-pot at the factory and multiple failures would have to take place within the PSU (problem with PS ON lead and Power Good signal, bad solder, etc. all at the same time) which isn't impossible, but the odds of having so many failures happen all at the same time in such a way to where the LEDs of the fans staying on is the only symptom. Bizarre at best.

At this juncture, I'm stuck. We know the caps hold a low voltage charge, but I can't get those fans to test to see how long they can stay lit. You don't have a DMM to see what the voltage output is after your PSU is off. If the primary side caps are bleeding power over to the secondary side, we could have a potential PSU fault, but again without a DMM we just don't know. As LazyBoyQuan pointed out, the cables are interchangeable with all current, fully modular PSUs, so you can do a swap without pulling all of your cables. So worst case scenario, try to get an advanced replacement, and just swap out the PSU itself. But if you do that, definitely send me a PM with your RMA #, etc. so I can see about getting the unit back here so I can test the +12V with a DMM and see if the PSU fails hi-pot, etc.

Heck... in fact, if you run into any resistance getting an advanced RMA, drop me a line because I really want to see this PSU in person to find out if what you're running into is normal or a failure that I'd be willing to push an RMA through for you just to make sure the unit makes its way back to the U.S.

1 members found this post helpful.