Corsair Community

Lighting Effects missing for Dark Core since iCue 3.15.X

Isthar

Hello!

I have been using iCue and my Dark Core for several months. I had some profiles configured setting different effects for the different RGB zones in the mouse. For example, static color for the logo, rainbow for the scrool wheel and nothing for the side.

Since the update to iCue 3.15.101 the + button in the Lighting Effects for Dark Core is missing and you cannot save different effects. Before, you created some effects using that + button and then selected to which RGB zones that effect was applied. You could create multiple effects and assign each one to one or more RGB zones.

Is that feature missing forever?

Edited by Isthar

Has anyone else detected it? I could share a video showing differences between 3.15 and previous version.

The capability of customizing the lights for Dark Core has been drastically reduced with this missing feature.

No, I don't think anyone intended to remove the lighting from the Dark Core. Go to your apps list in Windows and try to repair the installation, then reboot.

If for whatever reason this is persistent, roll back to 3.14. The 3.15 update is only critical for those with Platinum coolers.

No, I don't think anyone intended to remove the lighting from the Dark Core. Go to your apps list in Windows and try to repair the installation, then reboot.

If for whatever reason this is persistent, roll back to 3.14. The 3.15 update is only critical for those with Platinum coolers.

I have Platinum cooler too. I will try to fresh install 3.15 later and if the error persists I will post some screenshots here.

The lighting is not removed, just the option of multiple configurations of lighting for the same profile. So as result you cannot set different effects in each RGB zone.

I have reinstalled 3.15 and the problem persists.

This is what I see in 3.15.X:

15p5wjY.png

And this is what my husband sees in 3.14.X (he hasn't upgraded his iCue):

nQ2B5Rt.jpg

That "Efectos de iluminación" (in English "Lighting Effects") is missing from 3.15.X.

The + symbol doesn't actually appear until the box has expanded....

Do you have the mouse connected via bluetooth, wireless, or cable?

Yes, I know. That is the problem. The box doesn't expand, so no + symbol, no possibility to create profiles...

I have tried all connections, bluetooth, wireless and cable, and it doesn't expand anything. I have removed completely all my profiles and tried to create new ones. I have unistalled iCue and reinstalled it (v 3.15). Nothing works.

If I reinstall 3.14 the box expands again and I can see that + button, no matter wether I use BT, wireless or cable.

So apparently this is as intended. If you click on the lighting zones to the left of the picture, the options will appear at the bottom.

Yes, but it is impossible to set different options of those at the bottom for different zones. I think that with those screenshots it's clear that some functionality is missing.

Now you can just apply one effect to the ligthing zones selected on the picture. Before, you could do that and save it with that "+" button. Then do that again with a different effect and different lighting zones selection and save it too. And both effects where applied at the same time.

Let's put an example. How to set a static color for the wheel, rainbow for the logo and nothing for the side. I will update this with screenshots this afternoon.

Using version 3.14 I would use that "+" button on the menu on the left, selected only the wheel in the picture and selected the effect "static color" at the bottom. Then I would use again that "+" button to set a different effect for the logo. I would select only the logo, the effect rainbow and that's it. Two items would have been seen in the menu on the left, in the expanded box below Lighting Effects. Resut is the wheel in static color, the logo doing rainbow and the side turned off.

Using version 3.15, I would select the wheel on the picture and the effect "static color". But as soon as I select the logo to apply to it a different effect, the previously selected effect is applied too. If I unselect the wheel, so I can set a different effect to the logo but not changing the wheel, then the wheel turns off.

Edited by Isthar

I have taken screenshoots of iCue 3.14 and 3.15, you can check them here: https://imgur.com/a/fsK0eFt.

Each screenshot has a description below.

The 3.14 version allowed you to create different configurations in the same profile. I could use the + button because the section Lighting Effects were expanded. Each record in Ligthing Effects allows to set a effect and select to which RGB zones affect. For each different effect I had to create a new record there, in the Lighting Effects, and I could have each RGB zone displaying different effects.

The 3.15 versions is missing all Lighting Effects section. The recors are not shown and the + button is not there. You can choose which RGB zones to enable and the effect to apply, but are only able to choose one effect and that is the effect that will apply to all the RGB zones.

I also made an account just to back up your claims. I distinctly remember setting up profiles for all of my games so that my Dark Core RGB had a different color for the logo zone and the scroll wheel and the sides. You had to create layers for each of those LED zones to be different. I was trying to make a new profile today after the 3.15 update, and I found frustration when I could no longer change each of the zones to be individually different. Strangely enough, all of my old mouse lighting settings still work the way they were set up, but I cannot change those settings without screwing it up for good. Hopefully Corsair patches this soon.

I also made an account just to back up your claims. I distinctly remember setting up profiles for all of my games so that my Dark Core RGB had a different color for the logo zone and the scroll wheel and the sides. You had to create layers for each of those LED zones to be different. I was trying to make a new profile today after the 3.15 update, and I found frustration when I could no longer change each of the zones to be individually different. Strangely enough, all of my old mouse lighting settings still work the way they were set up, but I cannot change those settings without screwing it up for good. Hopefully Corsair patches this soon.

Oh, thank you! I didn't understand how nobody else was frustrated about this!

My old profile lightings still work too, just as you describe. As far as I don't touch the profiles, the effects still work as they used to.

I went to Corsair's site and created a ticket for this issue (I would suggest you try the same). I have followed all of the support steps, but I can confirm that nothing has fixed the issue. I have posted the solutions below, and maybe you can let us know if they worked for you:

please try repairing iCUE as follows:

- Open Control Panel > Programs and Features

- Select "Corsair iCUE Software"

- choose "Repair" from just above the program list

- follow the installer prompts

Failing that, please perform a hard uninstall and refresh of iCUE as follows:

- uninstall CUE/iCUE using IOBit Uninstaller https://www.iobit.com/en/index.php

- delete the Corsair folders from %localappdata% and %programdata%

- install a fresh download of iCUE https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/downloads

please note that this will also delete any stored profiles, as such please back up these folders if there are profiles you wish to restore

Regards,

Tom

Corsair Technical Support

I have received response to the ticket.

Response By Email (Nick P) (05/17/2019 11:05 AM)

Hi Isthar

We are aware of this issue and would recommend rolling back to the previous version of iCUE which you can find a link to it below. Make sure that you first uninstall the current version before installing 3.14.

http://downloads.corsair.com/Files/CUE/iCUESetup_3.14.100_release.msi

Hope next update fixes it!

Bad news. Now they say it has been removed on purpose.

So after reaching out for some more information the way iCUE is interacting with the Dark Core is intended. They have found by letting the mouse have individually addressed zones that it would cause latency and performance issues while wireless so they have made it so the mouse only has one controllable zone.

I totally disagree with this solution. I haven’t had any problem with response or latency so far. I would prefer having the choice to enable it although I had to use the wire or I needed to increase the latency. I really don’t mind having that 1ms response; I can’t notice any difference setting it to any other values for the games I play.

Let each user decide if they prefer better latency or more functionallity like RGB zones or lighting link (which also was removed versions ago because of the same reason). Some users like me would prefer that functionallity rather than better response. In fact, until now, more than a year of use with different effects for each RGB zone, and 1ms response wireless, I haven’t had any issue.

Yeah this is ridiculous. The capability to control individual zones on the mouse is obviously there -- I should be the one to determine whether or not the down side to such granular control is worth the risk to me -- not Corsair.

The removal of some very simple functionality that was appealing to me (including lighting link) is really pushing me back in the direction of Logitech. Either that or I'll drop RGB altogether. Inconsistency and lack of support for RGB functionality shows that it's still treated like a gimmick by the industry. A standard for RGB would be nice!

• 2 weeks later...
The ability to control 3 individual RGB zones is announced in the box of the mouse, therefore is something I paid for. You can not simply remove that, as it is one of the features of the mouse and I would want my money back if that is misleading advertising. I really hope you fix this and restore that functionallity so it works as it was expected and sold.

Hi guys,

My understanding is that this is as intended. The ability create layers previously was a bug that was affecting the performance of the mouse.

It's very sad. I did't notice any problem with the performance of the mouse, it worked just perfect. And I had more customization available for my mouse.

Why don't let us decide whether to use it or not? Who are here reporting this didn't notice any performance problem and really miss to configure each RGB zone separately :(

I thought I would follow up on the issue on the reddit.com/r/corsair subreddit. Their technical support was stickied at the top, so I thought I would ask there. CorsairJordan was helpful in giving this response:

Hi! The Dark Core's lighting effects was updated with the latest versions of iCue. This was the initial intent of Dark Core. This gives it the best performance and battery life from our testing. Our team is still looking into this to see if we can still have performance and battery life with the previous lighting effect.

I personally find this to be a lie by omission. Either the RGB zones were intended to be programmable independent elements like all of their products or their focus was to create a mouse with excellent battery life. However, the product was released with the expectation that all zones would be programmable and it had the battery life intended. All of their marketing shows:

Customizable backlighting immerses you in the game by providing nearly unlimited lighting adjustability.

That means that their product is now limited in lighting adjustability, which certainly seems like false advertising. Every review I have seen with this product identified it as having independently adjustable RGB zones, and for them to update these features away does not seem like a satisfactory decision for the user. A proper solution would have been to allow users to disable dynamic RGB lighting effects in favor of static lighting or no lighting when using power saving modes on the software.

=End of rant

TL;DR: Corsair broke the functionality on the update, won't admit fault, and is supposedly working on a solution.

• 1 month later...