Corsair Community

Vengeance 2000 - driverless operation in Windows 8

thefivetheory

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread... I searched and didn't see anything that answered my question.

In the recently-locked thread, a number of people noted that running the Vengeance 2000 headset without the Corsair drivers seemed to dramatically improve 3D positioning and apparently overall satisfaction. I also have seen a number of posts/threads about issues installing the Corsair drivers in Windows 8.

What I'm wondering is how this headset functions in Windows 8 without the Corsair drivers. Same as in Windows 7? Better? Worse?

Anyone have any experience? I'm hoping to build a new mITX gaming PC soon, and without a x1 PCIE slot available I'll need to switch to a USB audio solution, and from what I can tell, driver issues aside, this seems to be a pretty great sounding headset.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Without the Corsair drivers, the headset will only function as a stereo headset.

The surround sound is HORRIBLE with the corsair drivers and functions BETTER with Windows default drivers, I own a pair and have tried this on both Windows 7 & Windows 8.

Really disappointed at the responses in regards to surround sound support /w the vengeance drivers & Corsairs opinion that it is not a problem. Some of the major PC hardware reviews of the 2000 headset point out the surround being an issue and believe it or not, people read reviews before buying products, while other reviews don't touch on the subject at all and give a stellar rating which is a bit odd I believe it is because they did not extensively test surround support capability and likely used a AAA title game rather than a series of different games.

I think if corsair actually addressed this issue and took it seriously they would sell many more headsets rather than look at the number of complaints statistic from current owners and ignoring the problem. Same goes with the cracking on the headband.

Google 'Corsair Vengeance 2000 review' and all of these results are from the first couple of pages.

Guru3D

- The Vengeance 2000 Xear functionality really will reverb the sounds as if you were in a room, but due to the 2-channel configuration in Windows, it doesn't tell you where the sound is coming from (directional sound).

Hexus.net

- The headset can be reverted to standard stereo via the software's giant 'bypass' button, but somewhat surprisingly, we found the surround experience more enjoyable after uninstalling the Xear utility altogether and using Microsoft's default Windows driver with the 'Virtual Surround' enhancement enabled. In this configuration, we were able to clearly differentiate between front and back channels using a test file, and in-game audio felt more precise.

Neowin.net

-Despite all the great areas of the headset, there is one area I was disappointed with: the 7.1 surround sound claims. The device is not recognized by Windows as a surround sound device, so it must guess what comes through the rear channels and the results are mediocre.

Tweaktown

- And for those who have not followed, we are referring to the lack of true surround sound offered in regards to the amount of speakers available and moreover the only support for surround algorithms is via the Corsair proprietary surround FX available. Which are all well and good for many uses, but lack support for the algorithms used by today's latest games.

Everythingusb.com

- The Vengeance 2000 only passed in 17 of the 38 tests, scoring a meager 45% compatibility rating. The few games that did work seemed to largely be either Valve titles or modern AAA shooters with large followings such as Battlefield and Call of Duty. Though the mainstream at the very least is covered, there's a still ton of other great titles that were tragically left behind in Stereoville, many of which aren't even that old yet.

Oh wow... I would like to thank the thread owner for bringing this solution to my attention. I tried out the surround sound that comes with Corsair's Xear drivers and absolutely despised them. Me and my friend came to the conclusion that it was awful and we simply would keep it off on our headsets, as we both have the same headset.

The Window's surround sound is much better, Corsair's does not give much positional audio indication and if anything gives a worse experience than normal 2.1. This is blatantly apparent when watching videos that take advantage of positional audio, such as this one /watch?v=u163wC6mP2A

EDIT : Here's another one /watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

It is extremely easy to tell left from right when using Window's drivers, not obscenely difficult when going 2.1, but then you become hampered when enabling Xear drivers.

Ram Guy says this is viewed as irrelevant as the majority of people do not complain about it (Less than 1% have a problem with it). But, at one point he admitting that he personally owns a Vengeance 2000 headset, so I wish for him to try this and understand what we are trying to say. Also about the issue with "being able to work with dolby," who said it HAD to be Dolby? I wouldn't mind if Corsair simply integrated support to enable Window's virtual surround sound, as quick fix, so that I could still use the equalizer even if I wished for to keep my virtualized 7.1 audio.

Hopefully by letting him experience our troubles first hand he will be able to properly relay the message to Corsair. *fingers crossed*

• Corsair Employee
Oh wow... I would like to thank the thread owner for bringing this solution to my attention. I tried out the surround sound that comes with Corsair's Xear drivers and absolutely despised them. Me and my friend came to the conclusion that it was awful and we simply would keep it off on our headsets, as we both have the same headset.

The Window's surround sound is much better, Corsair's does not give much positional audio indication and if anything gives a worse experience than normal 2.1. This is blatantly apparent when watching videos that take advantage of positional audio, such as this one /watch?v=u163wC6mP2A

EDIT : Here's another one /watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

It is extremely easy to tell left from right when using Window's drivers, not obscenely difficult when going 2.1, but then you become hampered when enabling Xear drivers.

Ram Guy says this is viewed as irrelevant as the majority of people do not complain about it (Less than 1% have a problem with it). But, at one point he admitting that he personally owns a Vengeance 2000 headset, so I wish for him to try this and understand what we are trying to say. Also about the issue with "being able to work with dolby," who said it HAD to be Dolby? I wouldn't mind if Corsair simply integrated support to enable Window's virtual surround sound, as quick fix, so that I could still use the equalizer even if I wished for to keep my virtualized 7.1 audio.

Hopefully by letting him experience our troubles first hand he will be able to properly relay the message to Corsair. *fingers crossed*

I always pass along all constructive feedback and criticisms I see on the forums (I may not reply to each and every post but I do take the time to read them to respect the time it takes to write them). I can also say this is an issue we are looking into. Beyond that, I am in the dark just like the rest of you. Once I know anything at all to share with you guys, I'll post it here to share.

I always pass along all constructive feedback and criticisms I see on the forums (I may not reply to each and every post but I do take the time to read them to respect the time it takes to write them). I can also say this is an issue we are looking into. Beyond that, I am in the dark just like the rest of you. Once I know anything at all to share with you guys, I'll post it here to share.

Well at least, do you guys understand what we are trying to say? I've been looking at multiple threads and it seems like rough terrain regarding this issue. It really isn't an issue of personal taste, the positional audio just feels "off" in many ways.

As long as you understand the issue it has a possibility of being fixed.

I had a thread dedicated to the lack of complete 7.1 (xear 3D works with direct sound 3d games so you get something like positinal audio from directX but it is not comparable to dolby headphone which not only offers better positinal audio but also works with movies and whatever else you might have with 7.1 channels) they refused to accept that it's broken. Seems like they finaly admit it.

But i have to say: In case of stereo use this headset is great piece of technology for the price (i also own k701 and hd600 which are WAY more expensive) compared to other headsets.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello... So, i have only seen one or two posts saying this headset is totally non functioning in windows 8, and the only answer ever is "run in win7 compat mode" which, of corse is not functioning.... anyone have any advice on how to get it working before i have to return it?

PROGRAM WAS "BLOCKED" IN PROPERTIES PREVENTING IT FROM FULLY INSTALLING... IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH DRIVERS POST CHANGING COMPATIBILITY MODE TO WINDOWS 7 MAKE SURE YOU CLICK "UNBLOCK" AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PROPERTIES>>>COMPATIBILITY TAB

Archived