Corsair Community

Force GT 180 GB speeds somewhat slow

r9ball

Using ASRock 890FX Deluxe4 MB (all HD ports are SATA3), Win7 Ult 64bit.

AHCI in BIOS, used the program to enable AHCI in Win7 and checked that it changed registry.

MB has Marvell SE9123/9120 and AMD SB850 SATA3 connections.

Force GT 180Gb with 1.3.3FW

I am using the Marvell connection for the SSD with latest driver and SATA3 cable.

Those are my ATTO scores,, read isn't too bad but could be better. Write is little better than half.

Is the Marvell supposed to perform any better than the SB850?

Or would better performance be with a PCIE controller card?

asrockmarvell.jpg.feb0b2ade68be773537f768d9c592186.jpg

Of the three main SATA III (6Gb/s) PC chipsets available today, from Intel, AMD, and Marvell, the worst performing without question is the Marvell.

That's the case because all the Marvell 91xx chipsets can use only one PCI-E lane for their data bus. The max speed of one PCI-E lane is 5Gb/s, and therefore is the max speed of the so-called Marvell "SATA III" interface.

Your ATTO results are probably the best I've seen on a Marvell chipset, but you cannot do better than that, due to its hardware limitation. The vast majority of add-on PCI-E SATA cards use the same Marvell chips, and are no better at all. Unfortunately, the only add-on PCI-E cards that do provide true SATA III performance cost more than high end mother boards ($300+.)

If I were you I would change to the AMD SB850's SATA III ports now. If they are no better, you can change back but I highly doubt they will be worse and almost certainly will be better. Just get the latest AHCI drivers from AMD, or use the Windows 7 msahci driver. We would be interested to see your ATTO results after changing to the AMD SATA interface.

It looks like my 6 SB850 ports have to all be set to AHCI,, can't do any of them separate.

I also have 2 BR/DVD Rom and 3 additional HDs. That means I would also have BR/DVDs or HDs also on SB850 running under AHCI with the SSD.

Will regular HDs and/or BR/DVD run ok under AHCI?

HI all.

I ave post her yesterday.

Corsair read your post and chose is it ok or the gon to censure.

This is a forum for takink ove corsair product. But it feel like Hilter ave the controlle. Because they erase my post with no reson and the don't even bother to contact you.

Yesterday anser r8ball question. I will do it again

Marvell 9123 is bugy. Probely beCAUSE IT USE A PCE 1X, mutch to slow for ssd.

Did u no that u gcould get driver an firmware for marvell

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm

I think it be bether on amd sb850.

DID u update motherboard to last bios it help with stability.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=890FX Deluxe4&o=BIOS

Ther a lot more then 1 controller card that could run sata3 and it start around 150$ + 50$ for cable.

It take a pce 8x as interface for your controlleur.

Like highpoint 2027sgl controller 8 port sata \sas.

I got 1085mb\s read and 950mb/s write with 2 ssd.

U could get up to 2800mb/s with only 6 ssd.

At the moment only Last intel chipset like x79or z68 could run ssd as it full speed.

A x58 chipset like me is not able to run sata3 ssd at full speed.

The marvell chip run just a litle bit fatser then the sata2 intel rapide storage. But it was bugy and unstable on marvell.

Finally a buy a pcie 8x controller< the highpiont 2720gsgl.

It cost me 200$ and i con get full speed ove my sata 3 ssd

Parsec sure u get a motherboard for 300$. U still nead memory,cpu,psu,case....

And wath be the cost ove all that. More then 1000$ And mothrboard ave controller ave only 2 sata3 port.

So if u don't want to make raid airway, I don't tink you need a controller card to get wath 100 to 150mb/s. But if u planing un a raid the highpoint 2720sgl

is a good option

Hope this helo

Sincelrly your

And hope corsair don't wipout my message again. As a said before the read and censure.

Should this be a forum?????????????????????

Or a technical suport????????????????????????????????

Hi all

It is for sure that some one remove more then one ove me post and it apen on other corsair tread to.

Don't wan't to argu with you. But i now it is bether to take driver from marvell

But i can't find driver for marvell raid controller.They dont ave it. They only ave internet driver for they yukon controller.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm

It the only place to get last marvell drive.

I iven tink that marvell use station drive because it the only place u can get driver for marvell acih\raid controller.

Sincerly yours

Great, the difference between that result and using the Intel SATA III chipset is virtually none. I've read that the new SB900 series chipsets from AMD use the same SATA III components as the SB800 series, but with changes in other areas to support the FX-8000 series CPUs. So they are the same in SATA performance. As you found, your AMD chipset is superior to the Marvell, particularly in write speed. ATTO does not show IOPs, but I know from my own testing that the Marvell's IOP performance is poor.

Marvell does not supply drivers for their SATA chipsets to the general public, or provide support, both of those things are up to the mother board manufactures that use the chipsets. The mother board manufactures rarely update the Marvell drivers in their download sections.

I'm familiar with that driver download site, but where they got the Marvell drivers from is really unknown. No driver will make up for the Marvell 91xx chipsets limitations. I use msahci from Windows 7 with them, which is much more stable. Turbo, the Marvell 9123 chips may not support RAID, the 9128 does. You could download the RAID driver for the 9128 for another board made by your boards manufacture, but you still need the configuration option in your boards BIOS, and the Marvell option ROM RAID configuration interface that runs during a boards POST.

That Highpoint RAID board has potential, and has been around for a while, so I would think we would have heard more about it by now if it was readily compatible with most mother boards. Given what I've read about it, the installation and configuration is on the advanced side for many PC users, it's not a simple plug and play device. IMO, it deserves some study and evaluation, but I would not recommend buying one blind and expect it to work.

My point about add-on cards is that most of them cost more than most mother boards, but this one is certainly an exception, although many PC builders consider a $150 mother board to be expensive.

Thanks for the post.

Have the same problem. A pair of force gt 180's in raid 0 but only getting ~200MB/s sequential read.

It "feels" really slow compared to what I expected based on previous experience.

This confirms my suspicion that it might be the controller

Archived