Advise on how to connect 9+ RBG Fans

RicoShou

Case: Lian Li 011 XL

GPU: RTX 2080

CPU: Ryzen 3900x

CPU(Cool): Corsair H150i 360mm AIO Radiator

MB: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Wifi

PSU: Corsair 850 RM 80+ Gold

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airflow

Top: 3x 120mm AIO (LL120mm) Exhaust (If more than 9 fans possible id stack 3 and 3 for push pull possibly ML120's due to lack of visibility.

Rear: 1x 120mm (LL120 or ML120) Exhaust (optional) prob LL for so i can use the same RGB hub. (2 hubs total)

Side: 3x 120mm (LL120) Intake

Bottom: 3x 120mm (LL120) Intake

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Components on hand

1.)H150i 360mm AIO (includes 3x fans,possibly ML120)

2.)9x LL 120mm

3.)3x RGB hubs (included in fan sets)

4.)1x Commander Pro

Components Considering

1.)2-way splitters (qty - unknown)

2.) possible extensions

Known Power Specifications (If any of these are incorrect please note)

1.)Commander Pro (Max 4.5 A)

2.)LL120 RGB - 0.62A FAN - 0.30A

3.)ML120 RGB - 0.20A FAN - 0.072A (believe these are coming with H150i may not use, if power isnt an issue i was considering a push/pull on the AIO)

Questions:

1.)How to connect at least 9x LL120 Fans and RGB

-What is needed?

-best way to connect them together?

-Can you use more than one commander?

2.)Are 10 Fans Possible? 9xLL120, 1x ML120

3.)Are 12? For a Push/Pull AIO(6x) + 1 Exhaust + 6 Intake, 9x LL120, 3xML120

How do you get around the commander Pro's 4.5A limit? can you use more than one? I dont see splitters being so viable but im a total noob here.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RicoShou

Fan Motor power and speed control -> The H150i will take 3 of the LLs. Those will be controllable under the AIO tab in iCUE. The remaining 6-7 will go on the Commander Pro. It has 6 headers, by you can use 1 x 2-way PWM splitter for a pair of LL120s. You could add another Commander Pro but it really isn't needed and frankly I don't think you will have the space in back. There is only one good place for it.

Lighting Power - This will require 2 RGB Lighting Hubs. Each can handle up to 6 RGB fans and you are going to have to split the fans into some sort of lighting arranged groups. The most obvious would be 6 + 4, with the bottom and vertical side banks of 3 on one lighting channel, then the top/rear 4 on the other. Each RGB Hub will plug into one of the lighting channels on the Commander Pro.

You might consider mounting the H150i as intake on the vertical side panel. The XL should have the cutout to allow you to put the radiator in the back side and not add additional bulk to the front. That will allow much cooler air to enter from the backside of the case. In your proposed configuration, you will draw heavily from air coming across the GPU. When it is at load, that is going to put a measurable penalty on the coolant/CPU temp.

You are going to have at least 6 LL fans as intake. Make sure you look at the backside of the fan in pictures before buying. Some people are rather stunned to learn the lighting loop is on just the front side. To that end, the QL has recently been launched with one on both sides. There isn't a huge difference in price between full retail LL120x3 and QL120x3. If you are buying now, take a look at the differences. If you go QL, it does alter the installation arrangement slightly in terms of Corsair wiring/devices.

Perfect, was just the advice i was looking for, thank you!

I wasnt sure of the Fan Power on the H150i , thats good news. Solves the power issue with too many splits on the commander.

I considered the side mount , but was torn between the Stats id seen when it came to temps. Good to note

Edited by RicoShou

I may have misconstrued which was intake and which was exhaust on relative terms. Was pre-planning my first build. So I haven't seen these fans yet aside from pictures.

I believe the LL120 front is the pull side correct?

To specify since I believe I may have inaccurately described my airflow, and taking into account your reccomendations.

Rear 1x pushing out of case

Top 3x pushing out of case

Side+AIO pulling into case

Bottom pulling into case

So gpu and rad get fresh air, top and rear vent air.

Sound good? This shows fan fronts along side and bottom, and rear fan sides on top and rear.

I'm guessing but it seems intake is describing air coming into case. Relative to external airflow.

Or is intake described as a intake side of fan facing the iexterior pulling air out.

I get that might sound stupid but for someone who doesn't know I could take it either way.

Edited by RicoShou