Corsair Community

K60: Keys turning grey / red key issues.

RAM GUY

• Corsair Employee

If you are experiencing the keys on your K60 turning grey / fading please fill out an RMA request:

http://www.corsair.com/support/

A technical support representative will respond with further instructions.

*Update 3/27/12*

Once you have been approved for a replacement K60 a Customer Service representative will contact you with a shipping label.

• 4 weeks later...

So what's the solution now? A replacement K60? Are the keycaps even different? If not, might as well not bother with the RMA for now.

Edit: Ok I just read the 13 page thread on the graying keycaps. I don't want to RMA now, I don't have a backup keyboard. I'll hold off a bit and hope for replacement keycaps instead of a new keyboard but I will RMA the whole thing if I have to. Just a hassle, also have to take off my o-rings...

• 3 weeks later...

My K60 was bought just over a week ago and already I'm seeing heavy fading on the WASDXCV keys. I've requested an RMA for another K60 where you've fixed the keys but on the RMA request form it lists the replacement as a CH-9000004-NA but I'm in the UK and my current keyboard is the UK model (CH-90000040-UK). Can you confirm that the replacement won't have the fading issue and that I'll be getting the UK model?

Edit: Case number: 2816395

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
RAMGUY, can you have them send me the replacement first? ... Please have them send me the replacement first, like how most companies would do.
Ram Guy can only approve RMAs. You'd need to contact customer service to set up an advanced RMA.

****s sake, I returned for another issue (to Amazon - Corsair RMA wanted me to pay for int'l shipping to return it with no refund! What the ****! Amazon paid my return cost, and a compensation) - and now my keys are greying after a couple of days.

Brilliant.

No point returning through Amazon I suppose, they'll send me another one that won't necessarily be the new batch.

If I can't just get a bag of keys from Corsair, does anyone know where I could buy some replacement ones?

It'll probably be cheaper to buy some than to fork out to return the keyboard to Corsair.

Such a PITA, won't be buying any more Corsair peripherals. In fact I'd have moved on from this keyboard if I didn't like it so much other than all my issues so far.

****s sake, I returned for another issue (to Amazon - Corsair RMA wanted me to pay for int'l shipping to return it with no refund! What the ****! Amazon paid my return cost, and a compensation) - and now my keys are greying after a couple of days.

Brilliant.

No point returning through Amazon I suppose, they'll send me another one that won't necessarily be the new batch.

If I can't just get a bag of keys from Corsair, does anyone know where I could buy some replacement ones?

It'll probably be cheaper to buy some than to fork out to return the keyboard to Corsair.

Such a PITA, won't be buying any more Corsair peripherals. In fact I'd have moved on from this keyboard if I didn't like it so much other than all my issues so far.

I have a question for you - could you look closely at your keys in the light and check if your NumLock key looks like the upper left key or the upper right key in the image below?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/stratosrally/2012-07-08_14-26-30_377rs.jpg

The NumLock on the left and the Shift key are from the first batch of K60 keyboards while the NumLock on the right is the new version.

The easy way to tell is that the newer ones have a black "outline" around the white letters - the old just had the white letters directly on the key.

If you have the "outline" style and are getting discoloration could you try dabbing at a greying key with a bit of rubbing alcohol?

I have had my newer version for about a week and have been using it for more than 8 hours a day - heavy gaming and typing, no discoloration.

My old K60 has been in regular use since December and is fairly badly stained. I can't get the greying off from the keys with alcohol or even lighter fluid.

Since my new keyboard is not greying I can't try cleaning it - I'm curious as to what your results might be.

I have a question for you - could you look closely at your keys in the light and check if your NumLock key looks like the upper left key or the upper right key in the image below?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/stratosrally/2012-07-08_14-26-30_377rs.jpg

The NumLock on the left and the Shift key are from the first batch of K60 keyboards while the NumLock on the right is the new version.

The easy way to tell is that the newer ones have a black "outline" around the white letters - the old just had the white letters directly on the key.

If you have the "outline" style and are getting discoloration could you try dabbing at a greying key with a bit of rubbing alcohol?

I have had my newer version for about a week and have been using it for more than 8 hours a day - heavy gaming and typing, no discoloration.

My old K60 has been in regular use since December and is fairly badly stained. I can't get the greying off from the keys with alcohol or even lighter fluid.

Since my new keyboard is not greying I can't try cleaning it - I'm curious as to what your results might be.

No backing bit.

Could try white spirit or something - looks more like it's "rubbing off" than staining though. It's barely had any use - less than you describe.

Mostly the shift key, ctrl a little bit too. And only on closer inspection the other keys look like they might be starting to go.

If you don't have the style on the right - then I would think you have one from the early batch and need a new replacement. I would think that most stores have sold out of the first batch but perhaps not, so I would continue to work with Corsair directly and they will get you one of the new ones.

I'm sure if you wait until business hours tomorrow there will be more assistance forthcoming - Corsair will do right by you. What country do you live in?

I'll check back later - I have to run across town briefly...

If you don't have the style on the right - then I would think you have one from the early batch and need a new replacement. I would think that most stores have sold out of the first batch but perhaps not, so I would continue to work with Corsair directly and they will get you one of the new ones.

I'm sure if you wait until business hours tomorrow there will be more assistance forthcoming - Corsair will do right by you. What country do you live in?

I'll check back later - I have to run across town briefly...

UK.

When we last spoke they wanted me to pay return shipping to Norway or somewhere stupid - for an RMA which is their fault!

I'm not even sure that's legal.

Give them another try on Monday - also you may get a response here on the forum from an employee.

It's been my experience that they will go out of their way to take care of you, you just might need to get hold of the right people.

Best of luck!

So I got my replacement too last week, it is a new keyboard.

2 things though. Are the new keys laser etched still? As you can tell from the picture above, it is different with the black outline.

Second, the non switch keys are different. I looked at the rubber domes and the newer domes are thicker. They feel smoother while the old domes felt more clicky. I liked the old domes better as it was easier to tell when you activated the key. Why did they change it to this new type of dome?

• Corsair Employee

OJFord: DO you have a RMA number? Let me know it and Ill request customer service to resolve your issue for you.

Tacojoe: The keys aren't laser etched and we revised that saying they are. However they will not rub off. AFAIK, the keyboards do not have any revisions to them beyond the key issue.

The dome keys are definitely different. Also, they added a plastic wire "holder" where the cable meets the keyboard, before it was bare. The red keys are different too, they feel rougher and harder while the old red keys felt smoother and more rubbery.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have had my K60 replaced which was excellent service form corsair but unfortunately it appears that the replacement is doing the same thing. Can you tell me if I have been given an old batch keyboard again?

The serial number is 11498407000037904508

I have tried cleaning one of the worst keys with spirits but id didn't work.

Regards,

Phil

Archived