Corsair Community

Stable Ram for ASUS A7N8X-X?

DrKrac

Hi guys

Can someone please give me a straight answer as to what PC3200 ram I can get to run stable at 400MHz on my ASUS system.

I have:

ASUS A7N8X-X

XP 3200+

Currently I'm using two sticks of 512MB Kingston ValueRam, but I can't get them to run stable any higher than 333MHz which defeats the purpose of having a 3200+. There seems to be a running issue with getting PC3200 ram running at 400DDR on these motherboards. Wish I'd known that before I bought the damn thing.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums, DrKrac!

First off, it'd be a wise idea to update the BIOS on that board. You can see the specs and download stuff here.

I use "ASUSUpdate" to flash my BIOS as it works from Windows, but download the BIOS manually, don't try to get it from the internet through the program.

Also, on the website it lists a CMX512-3200C2 module, XMS3202v1.1; apparently, this is a TwinX set because 3202 is TwinX and 3200 would be a single module...

However, the C2 stuff will only run CAS 2.5 on an AMD system do to a change in the IC's used.

I'd personally reccommend a CMX1024-3200C2, TwinX1024-3200LL set, or VS1GBKIT400 for you. While that board only supports single channel, I think that it'd be able to run two double sided DIMMs at DDR400.

PLUR

CK

Thanks for that guys.

As I said, I already have the latest BIOS installed (1010). I noted the Corsair recommendation on the ASUS site as well. Do you know if there might be a problem going with 2x512MB? I ahve heard of some problems being had when using 2 or more sticks of 400MHz DDR on these motherboards.

Thanks again

Archived