Corsair Community

Failing 256MB Stick of 3200LLPT

Black-Talon

- I've been running the system below for about a year with very few problems. Recently the system started rebooting spontaneously and after receiving a Microsoft Error Report that indicated the memory might be causing the crashes I started testing the RAM using Microsoft Memory Diagnostic and MemTest86. Both utilities immediately produced errors. I removed one of the two 256MB sticks in the system and errors were still found by both utilities. Errors were reproduced with this stick when installed in any of the three DIMM slots. I then replaced the removed stick and removed the one that continued to produce errors. I was unable to produce errors on that single stick regardless of the DIMM slot it was installed in and the machine has been running without crashes for about two weeks now (but only one stick of RAM installed). I then continued testing on the failing stick and even after using less aggressive timings (all delays increased) it still produced errors. This leads me to believe that the stick causing errors and crashes has become defective and I would like to have it replaced. Thank you for your time.

Andrew Bell

System Specs -

Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 1.65 V on a 166 MHz FSB

Asus A7N8X Mainboard

Two 256MB Modules of 3200LLPT (installed in dual channel configuration)

DIMM Voltage: 2.6 V

Memory Frequency: 100%

Memory Timing: Optimal

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200LL

CPU Freq: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

- Yes, the BIOS is updated. Yes, I tried those settings (among many others) when doing my testing. Repeatedly errors were produced with one of the sticks installed and none with the other.

- I've conntacted NewEgg.com, whom I purchased this RAM from on 9/15/2003, They said that it is beyond the time period in which they would handle the return.

• 4 weeks later...
- I got the RMA #, I mailed in the module, and was mailed a new module. At which point I must add I was happy that the process took only a week and a half. Unfortunately, when I was able to install the new stick it immediately crashed the system. Back to the testing.... Running MemTest86 causes ~14 errors every pass at the end of Test 5. This is using the same settings I was instructed to test with in your previous message and occurs with the ram installed in any of the three slots. These errors do not occur with the working module I have and they do occur in exactly the same fashion in a completely different system. I thought I read that you test all your memory before shipment so I am quite surprised at this...damaged in shipping perhaps? So...what next?

- I feel a long post coming on so bear with me please.

Please check your settings and make sure that you have the memory Frequency at 100% or DDR333.

- The simple answer to that question is, "Yes, I am absolutely certain it was set to 100%." But I'm gathering you wish me to double check the settings and test again. I am sorry, but I am not up for that. Last time was bad enough since after the errors kept crashing Windows I didn't trust it any more so I did a clean installation after sending the RAM back. Of course when I got the new stick I just popped it in there and immediately it crashed my new installation and caused visible graphics problems. Now I'm hoping that it didn't cause any corrupted information to be saved to the disk but we both know it likely did. Then I tried to do my testing with the Memtest-86 boot disk and twice the CD-ROM glitched and sent me into Windows where again immediate graphics flaws turned up and then crashed the system... Yeah...I don't want to risk it...I don't want to install Windows all over again on that system.

- So...the complicated answer: "I have another system that is less important and I've used it to test the faulty RAM, here are that system’s specs and the results of those tests:"

- We're still talking about the same RAM as before. Markings on the heat spreader are as follows (left-to-right, top-to-bottom):

CMX256A-3200LLPT

XMS3205v1.2

0345091-0

XMS3200

256MB

400MHz

- This alternate system is:

Intel Motherboard: D875PBZ, Version AAC26680-206, w/ Latest BIOS Installed

Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 3 GHz, 512 KB L2 Cache, Hyper-Threading Enabled

System Bus Speed 800 MHz

System Memory Speed 400 MHz

- Memory configuration (setup in BIOS under Advanced->Chipset Configuration->Memory):

SDRAM Frequency: 400 MHz

SDRAM tCL: 2.0

SDRAM tRCD: 3

SDRAM tRP: 2

SDRAM tRASmin: 6

note - only one module of the RAM, the one exactly described above, is installed in the system

note - this motherboard does not allow me to alter CPU, Memory, or AGP voltages

- Tests were done using Memtest-86 v3.1 booting on a CD-ROM multiple times. An example of the results follows (all other tests had similar results varying only in number of errors produced in each pass by less than 2 errors). Ran test for 16 minutes, completed 5 passes of standard tests 1-7:

Test #4 [Moving inv, 32bit pattern, cached] - Produced 3 Errors (during this test)

Test #5 [block move, 64 moves, cached] - Produced 63 Errors (during this test)

- So, now that you've made it through that, what's next?

Archived