Corsair Community

Memory upgrade Lenovo W510

Adi

Hi

I have got Lenovo W510, i7-720QM, win7 64 pro, with 4 memory slots.

Memory currently installed:

2x2GB Hynix HMT32556BFR8C-G7

533MHz, ECC:N, Mode: Dual Channel, CR:1T, 7-7-7-20-27, 1.5V.

I would like to upgrade my laptop’s memory and add 8GB, preferably 1 stick, so I will have one free slot for future upgrades.

I am not sure, but as far as I understand, I can’t change the voltage, and my computer supports only CR:1T, I have read some people had problems installing 2T sticks.

According to the laptop spec it supports:

• PC3-8500 or PC3-10600 Non-Parity (NP) Double Data Rate Three (DDR3) Technology (*)

• Dual-channel capable

• Two or four 204-pin SO-DIMM sockets (*) (I have got 4 slots)

• 1GB, 2GB or 4GB memory (According to Lenovo forums it also supports 8GB sticks)

Are the following sticks compatible with my system ?

and can I add one of these sticks to the 2x2GB already installed ?

If not can you recommend other sticks ?

Corsair vengeance CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9

Corsair vengeance CMSX8GX3M1A1600C10

Corsair value CMSO8GX3M1A1600C11

Corsair value CMSO8GX3M1A1333C9

Thanks!

Adi

Hi Adi, you can look up your system here for a list of compatible memory. If your laptop is not listed then it may be best to contact the manufacturer for a list of compatible memory

http://www.corsair.com/us/learn_n_explore/

• 1GB, 2GB or 4GB memory (According to Lenovo forums it also supports 8GB sticks)

Your CPU only supports 4 gig modules max. Support for 8 gig modules didn't come around until the second generation of I series CPU's To achieve the max amount of 16 gigs you would need a 4x4gig kit.

and can I add one of these sticks to the 2x2GB already installed ?

It's never recommended to add memory to existing memory because of potential compatibility issues between the two. Always best to purchase a single matched kit of two modules.

H peanutz94,

Thanks for the answer.

Are you sure my CPU supports just 4GB modules ?

I have read a few reports of people who installed 4x8GB in W510, they said that although lenovo states max memory is 4x4GB, the i7 quad cores supports 8GB modules.

For example here: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:W510

I tried to look up at the compatibility list at Corsair's website but they list only 2GB and 4GB modules.

Thanks,

Adi

Archived