Corsair Community

Pc wont shut down, restarts instead :(

equlizer34

The power LED (on the case, not the new PSU, right?) should only be on when actually powered up, but from your description it *may* be ok, and properly indicating that you're never actually powering down.

Have to ask the obvious.... when you put in the new supply, did you disconnect your reset and power switch leads to the mobo? And perhaps get them put on backwards? Only thing I can think of at the moment.

Yes the power led on the case :) I changed nothing else or did anything else except swap power supplies. When i press the power button to power down, it does shut down and that light goes off. Guess the last issue is when i power down under windows :(

When you said you were "pushing the power button" and it then shut down..... how long were you pushing the button?

5 seconds, or just for an instant?

If 5 seconds, then it powers off while you're still holding it, that's normal and would override anything Windows may be interfering with.

If pressing it briefly, then some seconds later Windows does a normal shutdown, that's also normal, actually, though it's going "through" Windows to do it.

But the last time I've seen shutdown problems exactly as you describe, was back with Win XP. Or maybe back in Win 98 SE. You issue shutdown from windows desktop, it closes everything, blanks the screen, then either sits there still powered on, or does a reset and reboot to windows. Back then, it was a corrupted driver. But I'm out of ideas in this case, sorry to say.

Archived