Corsair Community

I believe I have faulty sticks

John F

Hello,

I bought about a year ago a new rig based on the following parts :

Motherbord Abit IC7

two memory sticks Corsair XMS PC3200 C2 V1.2

P4 C 2,6

I have been having blue screen under windows XP pretty randomly since then.

The blue screens are almost all the time : " IRQL NOT LESS OR EGUAL"

I usually had about 1 or 2 blue screens per week.

The first thing I did is testing my ram with memtest : No errors were detected.

Ithen tried to run my PC with timmings ranging from 2/3/3/8 to 3/4/4/8 and with VDimm ranging from 2,5v to 2,8V at 400 Mhz and I kept having blue screens.

I then tried different drivers for my hardware and also tried to reinstall windows numerous times without any luck.

Then, since memtest didn't gave me any errors, I thought It might be a problem with the motherboad and I bought a new Abit AI7 motherbord and I was still having blue screens with that new board.

Finally I was so fed up with those blue screens I thought I'll give it a try and change my ram. I bought Corsair Twinx PC3200 XL 1024 Mo pack (see how loyal I am :D: ) and since then (about a month ago) I didn't get any blue screens, my PC is rock stable.

So even if memtest never detected any errors with my XMS PC3200 C2, there must be something wrong with those sticks.

So can I get a RMA number ?

By the way, XMS 3200 C2 are certified by Abit for good operation on the IC7 and AI7 and I have been updating my bios on a regular basis (basicaly evrytime a new one was out)

PS : Excuse my english, it is not my first language.

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

SOFTMENU SETUP

CPU Freq: 200

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1 or 3:3

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.75 Volts

System performance: Standard

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T (2.5T AMD Platform)

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Thank you for your answer,

I have already tested with the settings you suggest as said in my first post and it's still giving me BSOD (IRQL NOT LESS OR EGUAL) randomly.

Memtest doesn't detect any errors but replacing the two XMS 3200 C2 V1.2 by TwinX 3200 XL v.1.1 (2X512) solves the problem so I believe the two XMS 3200 C2 V1.2 are faulty.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi !

I received today my new memory modules (I sent the defective ones on the 1rst of november, considering that I live in France, it was quite quick ! thanks for the good service guys !).

I didn't test them yet. They are V4.2, can you tell me what kind of memory chips they are made of ?

Thanks

Archived