Corsair Community

Air 540 for $82.00

wa3pnt

I'm up in Las Vegas for a convention, and made my yearly trip to FRY's Electronics to browse. They have (3 in stock when I was there) the Corsair Air 540 Case for $82.00.

Almost picked up a spare (have 2 already) at that price. And I checked to make sure that they were new, and not returns or refurbished.

RodeoGeorge

If you've ever shopped at FRY's, you'd understand that just about anything can happen there.

They will loose money on a item, and try to make it up in volume sales of the same item.

I'm very aware of the problems with them and returns/refurbs. These were new sealed boxes. Like I said, if I didn't have 2 already, I'd have jumped on it. A bit big for carry-on baggage though. LOL

RodeoGeorge

always a dollar short and a day late:mad:

upon checking i see their price is at 149

dang george,you coulda picked me one up :D:

This is the truth. When I was standing there looking at them, I thought of you but didn't know if you'd already obtained the case.

If I'd of had your phone number, I would have called to check.

My parts are rolling in. Having a hard time obtaining the CPU Cooling Block that I want. Ordered it from EK in Europe back on 29 November. They have been out of stock, and kept delaying the availability date. Found that item at Performance PC. Cancelled the EK order, and when I ordered from Performance PC they just sent me a message stating that they had sold their last on. LOL

So you're a day late and a dollar short, and I'm a day late and a CPU Block short.

RodeoGeorge

just make sure you take lots of pics for inquiring minds;):

this build has been a chore getting all the right parts but thats half the fun

i plan on using an air cooler initially to get things working and to get all my final measurements and then get the cooling parts.

then ill find out if i can take my 30+ years of doing paint/body work and apply them to computer modding...;):

what cpu do you plan on using and ill help you look

Going to use the AMD FX-8350 out of an existing system (which has an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX). Using an ASUS Crosshair MB, as there are no Chipset Cooling Blocks for the Sabertooth.

I know that I'm not going near as fancy as you. Primarily just something to play with in regards to water cooling. Doing the Primochill rigid, and ordered plenty, as I'm sure that will be a learning curve.

Still wondering if the Swiftech MCR220-Drive will fit up top with a 360 radiator in front. If it will, I may stick one up there and split the system.

RodeoGeorge

the only fancy part in my build i think would be the 4930k cpu but it was over my budget but fortunately my son got it for me.

other than the case and m/b everything else is still up for grabs.

of course progress has come to a grinding halt from so many questions/issues regarding the case and fitment.i had hoped to build this xmas evening but it isnt looking good:mad:

but considering all the case modding i want to do,im looking at a few months till completion anyways but thats the fun part.:biggrin:

im gonna lag behind you so i can steal some of your ideas,lol...

Well I broke out the case tonight, mounted the 360 front radiator, and measured what will fit in the top 240 space. The MCR220-drive will fit, BUT the rear exhaust fan would have to be moved to the outside of the case. Not liking that.

Looks like I'll do a single loop to start, see what the temps are, and then possibly add a MCR220-drive if needed.

Also looks like I'm going to have to do some creative plumbing between the radiator and the Alfacool tower/pump combo.

RodeoGeorge

what about a slim profile fan?

oh,i just bought a air540 off tigerdirect,didnt do as good as your $82 but did snag it for $99

ever penny helps:D:

Still don't think there's enough room for the fittings (which have to go to the back).

I'll soon know. Ordered a MCR220-drive R3, as you might expect some more fittings, and I'm looking at the Aquaero 6 with a Poweradjust to control the pumps and fans.

Like you've said before, it's only money. LOL

Congrats on the 540, now fill-er-up.

RodeoGeorge

Archived