Corsair Community

Force LS 60 - buying mistake ?

ricky101

Hi,

Wondering how much of a buying mistake I have made due to my lack of knowledge ..?

Bought the above LS 60 on recommendation of some friends who already have SSDs and as I knew my mobo had SATA 11 sockets I did not expect any installation problems.

However I now know that my mobo, an ASUS P5G41T-MLX / E5700 / 4gb , does not have the ACHI feature in the old style BIOS, there is only a simple SATA or PATA or BOTH option.

I have updated to the latest LS 60 Firmware ok and done a install of W 8.0 onto it ok and it seems to run very fast compared to my IDE HDD ( samsung 2514)

However I have run a couple of SSD speed testers and the results look very poor to my uneducated eyes.

The quoted Seq max speeds for the LS 60 are 560/530mb

Will this difference be down to my old-ish mobo and no ACHI or am I missing some other important point ?

Thanks

Crystal Disk

Read Write

SEQ 163 102

512 162 98

4k 21 46

4kQD 25 75

AS SSD

Read Write

SEQ 157 98

4K 24 45

4K/64 30 65

TIME 0.152ms 0.073ms

Hi,

Thanks, have just downloaded and run Atto in default settings.

From transfer sizes 64kb to 8192kb it returns almost the same figures of

Read 222,768 and Write 249,128 mb/sec

Without knowing any better, that seems about half the suggested max, though a lot faster than the other two speed testers deliver.

Would you say thats good enough or is there something else I need to do ?

Assume (?) a new mobo would improve things with the AHCI function which I believe improves Cache functions etc?

Thanks

Your speed results look normal. Remember that your board has a SATA 2/3Gb SSD controller. Your drive is going to run at approximately 1/2 of its rated speed due to the controller on your board.

Your SSD is fine, enjoy it. ::pirate::

Hi,

Thanks for that, I'm still very happy with its performace even when limited my old mobo.:biggrin::biggrin:

Could I just follow up with 2 questions about some other relevant info I have read in this forum.

Considerable mention about moving as many 'write' files off the SSD as possible; like the temp internet files etc.

While some of those posts are several years old, so with the latest SSDs is it still worthwhile taking such steps ?

(I'm not a heavy gamer etc ; though I have disabled Defrag)

Also saw mention that mobos with the Nvidia chipsets did not have full AHCI so causing problems for SSDs generally.

When looking for a new mobo are there any other problem chipsset I need to be aware of ?

Thanks again.

Defrag is disabled by default on SSDs so no worries there. I would not worry about all the optimizations. The big thing is, as with ANY drive (HDD or SSD) performance will slow when you get the drive close to being filled. If you get above about 85% full, I'd suggest deleting or moving some stuff.

No, no chipset considerations to worry with. Anything from Intel and AMD that is new/current is just fine.

Defrag is disabled by default on SSDs so no worries there. I would not worry about all the optimizations. The big thing is, as with ANY drive (HDD or SSD) performance will slow when you get the drive close to being filled. If you get above about 85% full, I'd suggest deleting or moving some stuff.

No, no chipset considerations to worry with. Anything from Intel and AMD that is new/current is just fine.

Hi,

My C: drive files are typically well under 30gb so hopefully that gives me plenty of headroom for the future.

Thanks for the helpful and swift info; its been a welcome change to get such a positive response from a manufacturers forum - a lesson a lot of others could and should follow !

Archived