Corsair Community

Epox 8KRA2+ & C2,LL or XL

SLAB64

Been reading through the forum and dont seem to be able to find too much on an EPOX 8KRA2+ board and Corsair modules.

I have a spare MainsBoard (EPOX 8KRA2+) which uses the VIA KT600 chipset and am wanting to build a system with it. Ive already got the XP 3200 Barton processor for it and want now to get 1 GB of Corsair in the form of TWINX 1024 set but wondered which set to get.

Im not an overclocker and would probably leave the FSB at stock, but am drawn towards the TWINX1024-3200XL due to the lower latency settings. Also the TWINX1024-3200C2PT and TWINX1024-3200LLPT seem an option.

Current prices indicate the XLs (X1024-3200XLPT @ £175.99 inc VAT) seem cheaper then the LLs (X1024-3200LL @ £187.98 inc VAT ) which i thought seemed odd, but its another reason there saying buy me buy me. The TX1024-3200C2PTs @ £154.99 inc VAT are cheaper still as you wold expect.

There does seem to possibly be one small problem (i may be miss understanding it thought) which is indicated in the mainsboard manual and that is the "Tras Non-DDR400/DDR400" which has the potential setting options of : 6T/8T, 7T/10T, 5T/6T, 8T/12T if im reading it correctly the XL modules come with 2-2-2-5 5 being the Tras value (correct me if im wrong) and therefore this MB doesnt support these Tras timings as 6T is the lowest setting in DDR400 mode..... Is that a correct assumption + if it is will the XLs work @ 2-2-2-6 with no problem (manually configured) or is it not quite that simple (nOOb attack).

The other thing i thought is...... is the VIA KT600 chipset even worth putting these modules in or would nothing be gained due to it not being a DUAL Chnnel baord and it would be money thrown in the wind.

Any help/suggestions would be greatfull.

• Corsair Employees
Well XMS3200XL is the best value even if the MB you have will not run at the tighter timings, because you will have more options for future upgrades! So I would go with the XMS3200XL modules and you will want them in slots 1-3 and I would set the timings to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and set your dim voltage to 2.8 Volts!

Archived