Corsair Community

H100i Grinding on Cold Startup

Kar

Hi I bought my H100i a few days ago and on one hand it is brilliant keeping a 4770k nice and cool, but there's two issues and as this is my first water cooling unit I am unsure if this is normal or if mine is dodgy.

The main problem is the normal sound which is a low buzzing sound it's not especially loud but as everything else is so quiet, it is very annoying. It is definitely coming from the pump as I have disconnected all the fans and just had the pump running. Is this normal for an AIO?

The other problem and it's somewhat random, is on a cold boot, or a power cycle, the pump will spin very slow (in the bios fan monitor and in corsair link it is at 550-600) and the pump will make a loud grinding / rattling sound. Exactly the same as is described in this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=620810

It goes away after a random interval sometimes 60 seconds, sometimes 3 minutes, and when it goes away the pump speed is back at > 2000.

CPU temperatures shoot up from 22ish to 55ish while the pump is spinning slowly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kar, sometimes it's air trapped in a new unit. But the dropping RPM's is somewhat concerning. I wouldn't chance it and have it replaced.

Since your unit is only a couple of days old it would be best to start with your resellers first. If they are unwilling to kelp or replace the uit for you then you can request an RMA .

Thanks I was thinking about doing that. I tried putting the case on it's side in case it was airbubbles but the noise is constant.

The startup thing is concerning I was just wondering if bios settings can affect it?

Just to update this in case anyone else has a similar problem.

I returned my first h100i and installed a new one today. Difference is like night and day. New one is quiet (can't hear it over the graphics card) and there's no issues on startup. Also it's much quieter under load.

So if anyone has a similar problem, best to just return for a replacement.

Very happy with the cooler now, cool AND quiet!

Archived