Corsair Community

RM650 clicking/ticking sound when powered off

Dieter1984

Hello,

Last week I bought a new gamingcomputer with a CORSAIR 650W RM650 power supply inside.

Everything works just fine and really silent.

However, yesterday I noticed a strange sound when I powered off my computer. The sound isn't loud, and I only could hear it because my computer is on my desk.

When I shut down the computer AND power off the electricity with the switch from the wall (sorry if this is a little confiusing, my native language isn't english), there is a clicking/ticking sound comming from inside the PSU. First it's ticking rather fast (2 clicks a second) and after a minute / minute and a half the sound fades and the PSU stops ticking.

To be sure it wasn't the powercable, I turned the computer back on, turned the computer off again, and unplugged the powercable from the PSU. The clicking sound kept going with the cable unplugged and faded out after a minute and a half.

I also did a test with the computer turned off. When I turned on the electricityswitch from the wall and turned it off again, the PSU started to tick again and stopped ticking after a minute and a half.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but should I be worried? Or is there a sort of safety circuit build in the PSU wich eliminate the rest of the eletricity from the capacitors or other components inside the PSU when the power turns off, and makes this kind of sound?

Maybe as an extra note: when the computer is on (surfing and gaming for a long time) the PSU works just perfect and there is no clicking noise.

Thanks in advance.

Dieter

Hey, yes sure.

I'm not sure if I can link a youtube video, but here it is:

It's not a video of my computer, but it's exactly the same noise (starting from 0.07). Only difference is, is that my PSU is totaly powered off when it makes that noise (for about a minute and a half).

If the system is totally powered off with no AC supplied to the computer, it sounds as though a cricket may have taken up residence in your box. Just kidding on this.

Sounds like the clicking sound continues until the power supply filter capacitors have had a chance to discharge. When the clicking occurs, can you see any movement, however slight, that the fan makes? It could be the power supply trying, for whatever reason, to start the fan.

If the system is totally powered off with no AC supplied to the computer, it sounds as though a cricket may have taken up residence in your box. Just kidding on this.

Sounds like the clicking sound continues until the power supply filter capacitors have had a chance to discharge. When the clicking occurs, can you see any movement, however slight, that the fan makes? It could be the power supply trying, for whatever reason, to start the fan.

Luckely no crickets found ;)

I just checked if the fan slightly moves when the clicking starts, but I can't see any movement.

Also when I start the computer (with the powercables plugged) everything just works fine, except the fan from the PSU isn't spinning. But I understand that this is normal with the RM series, since it's build only to spin when the temperature is to high.

Kind regards.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I have the same problem, it occurs during installation..(i'm running 3 installations at once and went to sleep) and hearing weird noises, so i went back to my desk and found out the psu sounds like stabilizing the electricity current. So is this normal? coz I never heard psu sound like that,it sounds like harddisk scratching Should i claim the warranty? Pls some advices

Archived