Corsair Community

Crash at idle, PSU only part not replaced

DarkNeutron

I am dealing with a very strange series of crashes, and the PSU is the only part I haven't replaced yet. I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot and rule that out as the problem.

My system intermittently crashes (30-minutes to a few hour apart), with a frozen screen and requiring a hard reset. This only occurs at idle or nearly idle (web browsing is common). Any sort of load, from playing a flash video through prime95 and Furmark, will prevent it from crashing.

This only occurs when using the discrete GPU (GTX 560 Ti). The system never crashes when using integrated graphics (i5-4670).

Since this started (two years ago) I have replaced almost every part of the computer: motherboard, CPU, memory, main OS SSD, graphics card (RMA replacement for a faulty fan), UPS battery backup, and CD drive. I reinstalled the OS along with the motherboard replacement.

I think the only parts I haven't replaced yet are my older hard drives (data only, not OS), mouse, monitor, and the case.

It seems unlikely that the PSU is causing these problems, but I'm a bit stumped at what to try next. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

This sort of problem can be infuriating and get expensive to resolve. Other than possibly some generic cabling and/or connectors within your system, it sounds like you've changed out everything, save the power supply, and the problem still exists. Sounds like it's time to replace the power supply.

My experience shows that many a weird symptom can be traced to a power supply system including its cables, connectors, etc.

I agree with the previous poster. It sounds like you already isolated the problem to the video card. It could be the card or it's driver is corrupt. Uninstall the video driver(control panel - Display Adaptors), and let Windows reinstall on next restart . This will install the original video driver. Test it for a few days to see if crashes still occur(do not update driver). If problem disappears, then update driver(control panel-Display Adaptors) and observe for problems. If problems then re-occur, hammer Nvidia Tech support.

Since this started (two years ago) I have replaced almost every part of the computer: motherboard, CPU, memory, main OS SSD, graphics card (RMA replacement for a faulty fan), UPS battery backup, and CD drive. I reinstalled the OS along with the motherboard replacement.

I have to disagree guys. He's replaced the OS drive, AND reinstalled windows, replaced, both GPU and MB. Drivers would have been wiped/replaced, several times over. If this is something that started with a recent driver update or even a few updates previous, but over a period of two years along with all the other hardware changes, I would put money on the PSU. Especially if either the 3.3v or 5v rail are low under those conditions.

I hope the OP posts back to let us know what happens.

Archived