Corsair Community

Possible to use H100i without ever installing/using Corsair Link?

Quiz

I assume that just like the H100, the H100i's pump runs at a constant speed no matter what you do? If so, can I install an H100i but plug the fans directly into the motherboard and run them at full speed 24/7? Will I get maximum cooling performance using this method or do I have to use the Link software to adjust settings and get maximum cooling performance?

I have a H100i but I replaced the stock fans with a pair of NF-F12s. I have the fans connected to the H100i pump and have never installed the Link software, nor connected the Link USB cable. It would seem that the default fan profile provided on the H100i is adequate as my CPU always runs cool and the fans are silent.

It is worth noting that I do not overclock so perhaps you might need to change the fan profiles if you are going to overclock. But for me personally, I have so far not seen reason to use the Link capabilities.

I assume that just like the H100, the H100i's pump runs at a constant speed no matter what you do? If so, can I install an H100i but plug the fans directly into the motherboard and run them at full speed 24/7? Will I get maximum cooling performance using this method or do I have to use the Link software to adjust settings and get maximum cooling performance?

Correct and,If you do it that way , no you don't need the software to control it.

I, too, have never connected the USB cable nor installed Link. I am using the stock PWM fans but they are connected to my motherboard's CPU_FAN headers (yes, I have two of those) and their speed is controlled by my motherboard. Under normal load (gaming) my fans rarely go above 1300 RPM and they are dead silent. The only time I was able to get them even close to max. RPM was with PRIME95 (even then they never got above 2200). The only issue I encountered is that they spin so low most of the time that I had to change a setting in my BIOS to avoid a CPU fan error on boot up. Otherwise, I am quite pleased. Great temps. and absolutely dead quiet. Much quieter than my former H100.

Yes, the software is required to update the firmware on the H100i hardware. You can temporarily use the USB cable to connect it, use the software to update the firmware, and then disconnect the USB cable and all will work fine. There is no stand-alone firmware updater currently for the H100i.

This is the method I use to for my H100i because of USB issues with WindowsXP (which I use part of the time).

Thanks but I didn't mean updating the firmware. I mean resetting the firmware. With the H100, you had to hold-down the fan control button on the CPU block for 5 seconds, wait 1 minute, power-down the computer, and then hold the same button for 5 seconds while turning on the computer. This would reset the firmware on the H100. I was wondering how I would go about doing the same with the H100i. Is there even a firmware resetting feature for it?

Yes, the software is required to update the firmware on the H100i hardware

Correct! But if the cooler is functioning as it should,with no noises, Corsair recommends to just leave it alone. Also the FW addressed a lot of issues with fans, and such but if they are plugged into the MB then that's a moot point too. So really, the software is not needed at all.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118867

]

Oh! I see. The only thing I can think of is for Corsair to make the default firmware available for download and then use the software to downgrade the firmware back to default. Apparently the firmware is overwritten (much like modern motherboard BIOS firmware). There does not seem to be any hard-written firmware code on the H100i, although there was apparently one for the H100.

the firmware isnt the same as software as some may think,meaning that software can get ''changed'' in some way along the course of using it.

firmware is as its name suggests ''firm''ware,meaning regardless of anything that happens along the course of using it,it stays the same and remains unchanged in any way.the primary reason for changing the firmware is if there a newer version that comes out to address changes or to enhance existing features.

if something isnt working like before itll most likely be a software quirk or something else within the computer has changed...

Firmware is actually written to EEPROM (or possibly NVRAM), so it remains even after the power is off. Some hardware manufacturers have a set of default instructions that are hardwired into ROM, which sets the hardware back to a default state in the case of a bad firmware write, or some other catastrophe (like said NVRAM failing). I suspect however, that the H100 had a default hardware setting state (kind of like parts of a BIOS that are reset to default if requested). I do not know if the H100i has such a setting, and neither Corsair, nor CoolIT have released any information regarding this so it is safe to say we do not have access to this kind of reset outside of using the software.

Archived