Corsair Community

H100i (in R4 case) on top in PULL-Exhaust

creos7

I'm going to put an H100i in a Define R4 case in the TOP position in configuration PULL as an exhaust, i.e. the fans will be immediately below the case top blowing air out, with the rad below the fans.

I do realize this is slightly inferior to a push or push/pull but I'm willing to sacrifice the few degrees in order to significantly facilitate cleaning.

I've a few questions:

1) Does the static pressure rating on the fans really matter when they are used in PULL/Exhaust since my understanding is that helps with overcoming obstacles IN FRONT of the fans, not obstruction BEHIND. Am I right/wrong?

2) What fans would you recommend for a Top/Pull/Exhaust setup?

3) Is it possible to use 140mm fans (since the top of the R4 case does support 2x 140mm) while the H100i only supports 120mm? If yes, do you think this would improve cooling, or allow same cooling with a lower RPM?

Thanks very much for reading.

1) Does the static pressure rating on the fans really matter when they are used in PULL/Exhaust since my understanding is that helps with overcoming obstacles IN FRONT of the fans, not obstruction BEHIND. Am I right/wrong?

Yes, and I would highly advise against a pull only config. You just wont get the air circulation that you need to keep your CPU cool. You really need the fans pushing air through the fins to get proper heat transfer.

2) What fans would you recommend for a Top/Pull/Exhaust setup?

The stock fans are the best choice.

3) Is it possible to use 140mm fans (since the top of the R4 case does support 2x 140mm) while the H100i only supports 120mm? If yes, do you think this would improve cooling, or allow same cooling with a lower RPM?

No, you can't. The radiator is only 120mm wide. If you would like to use 140mm fans get an h110.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

(1) sorry do you mean Yes, i'm right and the static pressure does not matter, or Yes, it does matter (and i'm wrong)?

What makes you think pull performs significantly worse? How have you tested? (don't meant to be aggressive here). I agree with you that it FEELS like it would make a big difference, but I haven't found any evidence of that online.

Here is one of many examples where people say it makes little difference (I've seen people quote ~3 degrees)

[ame]

[/ame]

Or you have some personal experience to the contrary?

(2) the reason i am looking into replacing them is that I constantly read that they are really noisy for the air they push through. I think what i'll end up doing is keep the stock fans, and see if it's really the case for me personally.

(3) thanks a lot, i already got the h100i so that ship has sailed :) good to know!

(1) sorry do you mean Yes, i'm right and the static pressure does not matter, or Yes, it does matter (and i'm wrong)?

Thats it! :p:;):The better the static pressure the more air that gets pushed through the fins.

What makes you think pull performs significantly worse? How have you tested?

I've been water cooling for years. I've experimented with tons of different fans and configs and seen It make as much as 15c difference. The fans are made to Push air not suck. Your just not getting the air flow you really need and no where near efficiency.

ok thanks, it would seem that those two answers are slightly contradictory then -- because that was exactly my point, static-pressure optimized fans are made to push, not designed to pull (as you say in your second answer), hence in a pull config static pressure shouldn't matter much (kind of the opposite of what you're saying in your first answer).

at any rate, i think the best thing for me would be to test, and see what happens in push and pull using the same static-pressure optimized fans. The h100i isn't a thick rad so i'm hoping it won't make much diff as i really do want to just run it in pull so i can cleanly regularly and painlessly.

Thanks for sewing doubt in my mind :P now I've decided to test both.

thanks.

Lets put this another way. Does static pressure matter? sure, In a pull config only ...NO, because your not using the pressure side of the airflow. But your still going to need a strong fan in hopes to create an enough of a flow through the RAD. Air does not move near as fast or with as much force as it would mounted correctly.

i think the best thing for me would be to test, and see what happens in push and pull using the same static-pressure optimized fans.

I'd be very interested in your test results. Please post them here in this thread.

I've viewed several videos on the PULL versus PUSH configuration, but it would be nice to see the results from a non-professional tester.

Also, please include exactly what fans you used.

RodeoGeorge

Archived