Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 vs CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9

MuppetThumper

Hi All,

I bought a PC with 4GB of RAM which looks like it came from a Corsair Vengeance 8GB pack, as it has the product code:

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

I have since ordered a second stick of RAM, but as I only wanted a single stick, I couldn't find another "half" of the above so went with

CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9

The differences in the product code nomenclature refer to the total amount of RAM in the package and the number of the modules, which are basically irrelevant. The tech specs (voltage, speed, timings etc) are exactly the same and I just assumed that it should work fine.

But looking at some of the posts on here I'm now a little bit worried that it won't work when it arrives... :confused:

Any advice / ideas? Or shall I just wait and see?

I'm running an AMD FX 4100 on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard.

As a side note, to fit it into the third RAM slot on the board (which I'll need to if I want to run it in dual channel mode) I might have to trim a few of the heat spreaders as my Arctic Cooler 13 CPU heatsink overlaps slightly. Is that going to be an issue?

Also, I have no intention to do any overclocking so will be running at default levels.

What they did was pretty wrong splitting up a kit like that.

Unfortunately that just makes things harder for you. There is just no way to tell how any two random modules are going to work with each other if at all ,even if they were the exact same part number.

In all reality your best bet would have been to just get a new 8 gig kit so both modules are matched with each other to run exactly the same. Never add just replace.

As a side note, to fit it into the third RAM slot on the board (which I'll need to if I want to run it in dual channel mode) I might have to trim a few of the heat spreaders as my Arctic Cooler 13 CPU heatsink overlaps slightly. Is that going to be an issue?

Cant really comment on that. You can basically take your chances doing that or find a different cooler.

thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope it works, because I can't really spare the expense of forking out for another 8GB right now.

I've chopped and changed different manufacturer's RAM modules in laptops of old without problem, but I realise this is higher performance stuff working within fine margins.

Here's hoping.

Archived