Corsair Community

Can the H80i Pump Speed be reduced?

wa3pnt

I've RMA'd my H100i due to pump noise (RMA 6174073) and installed a H80i while waiting for the H100i to be returned (been in the "Processing" status for several days).

The H80i pump is rattling very bad, and I am wondering if there is a way to reduce the pump speed in an attempt to reduce the noise until the H100i is back from RMA?

I've read somewhere that installing a 1N4002 Diode in series with the pump +12V lead will reduce it's speed, but thought that I'd check to see if anyone has tried this.

I'm not recommending this as any type of permanent fix or setup. Just trying to do something to reduce the H80i pump noise in the interim. It's REALLY loud (I have a severe hearing loss due to 24 years in the USMC, and it even gets to me), and I'll deal with that when the H100i is back.

My idle temps on the AMD FX-3850 are 30 degrees at idle, and 46 degrees under Prime 95 load. No overclocking. So I've got some headroom on the cooling.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

RodeoGeorge

Lowering the pump speed will likely make it louder. If you are able to check the pump speed using CorsairLINK, what's the normal RPM you see when it's loud? I'm in the process of an RMA with mine because the pump would start slowing down on boot/wake until it hit ~450 RPM and it would make a loud rattling noise for several minutes until it would jump up to 2200 RPM, and then it would go silent.

Per Corsair Link, the Pump RPM is 2195. It both starts and runs at that speed.

I tried reducing the speed slightly, and the noise did get louder, as opposed to quieter.

I'll just wait for my RMA'd H100i to be returned.

Thanks for the replies.

RodeoGeorge

Archived