Corsair Community

Fried RAM, MoBo

My main computer normally has 512MB of Corsair Value Select PC3200 RAM in it. The computer started holding in BIOS - i.e. when the memory test was supposed to happen, it stopped and got no further. Thinking it was probably a memory problem, I took the chip out and put it into a friend's machine. Immediately upon starting that machine up, it started smelling of melted plastic. Upon later examination of the RAM, two pins appear to have burnt off (one pin is still there, but covered by charcoal or something, the other is now permanantly affixed to my friend's motherboard).

Am I covered by any warrenty here? My normal computer's a Shuttle SN-45G, and my friend's motherboard was a GigaByte GA-7VAX (http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-7VAX.htm). The RAM was bought in March of this year, from Microdirect in the UK.

• Corsair Employees
There is no way a memory module can act this way, unless the DIMM is not installed properly or backwards. Our RMA department will definitely have to look on to this and determine whether it is a physical damage or not, since if it is a physical damage I do not think it will be covered under warranty. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

The problem is, I'm in the UK... I don't really want to send the chip all the way to the US, esp. if it's not definate that it will be replaced. Do you have a UK returns department, or should I just deal with the problem through the store where I bought it from?

Archived