Corsair Community

H100i Runs Much Hotter Than Kühler H2O 620 on i7 3770k

eatmetoyota

H100i Runs Much Hotter Than Kühler H2O 620

So I just replaced a Kühler H2O 620 with the H100i and I was shocked to see that my i7 3770k now runs 5 to 10 deg C hotter. At idle, temps with the Kühler H2O 620 was in the low 20's, with the H100i, temp fluctuates between 29 and 31 deg C.

Looking at the actual core temps, they now exceed 70 degC while doing some OC'ing. With the Kühler H2O 620, core temps have never went past 60 deg C.

I checked the interface between heat sink and the CPU and it's making full contact.

(Note that the jpeg below are screenshots of AI Suite and HWINFO64 from the most recent OC test @4.2Gz. The original OC test was @4.4GHz)

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae130/eatmempaa/KuhlerH2O620vsH100i_zps32554178.jpg

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae130/eatmempaa/systemspecs_zpsd53ee843.jpg

proper info is needed in order to try and help such as your system specs,what stress tests being used but at any rate people here will only be able to help with h100i cooling temps and not your other cooler

It runs 7 to 8 degrees hotter with no load on a P8z77-V-pro. OC'ing, the i7 3770k was running at 4.4GHz. (0.9 GHz above stock). Average core temps for the H2O 620 was 57 to 59 deg C and fan was maxed out.

H100i temps hovered between 70 to 74 deg C with the fans at performance mode.

Did the fans run the same rpm as the h20 620.

Because I thought the h20 620 doesn't come with a integrated fan controller, so it run at at full speed, only when you put the fan at a controller or at the mobo, you could change the rpm.

Which setting did you used in Link Software for the fan's and which group did you put The pump,fan's and h100i water temp. in.

Look at this test from Holland, here the H20 620 is hotter then the H100i.

http://be.hardware.info/reviews/4327/14/20-waterkoeling-sets-review-koeler-met-water-testresultaten-socket-1155-125-watt:idea:

And German test.

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/gehaeuse-und-kuehlung/2012/test-Antec-h2o-und-corsair-hydro/10/.:idea:

Here you can see that even a H80 stays cooler.

I have a H100i and it cools a i7 950 at 3,9Ghz at 45c at iddle and under load about 78C, at stock speed 39c iddle and load 65c, the temps are core temps, ambient 24c, so your 3770K should be cooler with the H100i.

Also is the H100i placed at bottom, front or top of your case, are the fan's push or pull.

Every case has a different airflow, so you could look also if the H100i gets enough fresh cool air.

Just ran a very tedious experiment. Took idling temperatures of CPU and all the cores (using Asus AI tool and HWinfo64). CPU was running at 29 deg C and average core temps was hovering in the low 40's deg C. As a final measure, I pressed down on the heat-sink just to see if it was in proper contact. Held it for about a minute with no change in any of the temp's. It was properly installed.

Quickly removed the H100i and reinstalled the H2O 620. Took about 45 minutes. Booted up and opened up the 2 sensor programs. CPU temp read at 23 deg C and average core temp showed 31.8 deg C.

I WOULD HAVE RAN OC'ING TESTS AGAIN WITH THE H100i, BUT BECAUSE THE H100i AND THE FANS ARE NO LONGER DETECTED BY CORSAIR LINK AND NO MEANS OF CHANGING FAN SPEED, I DECIDED NOT TO PROCEED.

As I said in my other thread, Corsair Link worked for about half an hour. It was controlling the fan speed fine. It was shortly after I had it in performance when both rpm readings for the fans went to zero, but the fans were still running. When I rebooted, all 3 components of the H100i no longer appeared in Corsair Link. This is also why I was unable to get the firmware version.

I performed multiple system restores, reinstalled Corsair Link, and I even performed a fresh install of windows 7 on a spare HDD I had. Nothing would make the Corsair Link detect the H100i.

What a horrible experience. Going to return this unit to the store and eat the restocking charge.

Tested Both cooling systems again overclocked @4.2GHz. Managed to control fan speed on the H100i, but not the H2O 620 Kuhler. That was stuck on 1354 rpm's.

Note that the fans on the H100i were running almost 1000 rpm's faster than the H2O 620.

Here are the results.

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae130/eatmempaa/KuhlerH2O620vsH100i_zps32554178.jpg

Yep, the h110 is hotter on your system, strange, but nothing to do about it.

You could send these result to tech support, so they can investigate why the H110 is hotter on your system, maybe they ask you to ship it to them, for further testing.

Yep, the h110 is hotter on your system, strange, but nothing to do about it.

You could send these result to tech support, so they can investigate why the H110 is hotter on your system, maybe they ask you to ship it to them, for further testing.

Thnx,

I'll contact them tomorrow.

something is amiss as i have a 3770k at 4.3 and stress harder than dvd encodings and run mid 50's across the board.i assume pump rpm in bios has been checked...

Could you provide details of what you ran in the stress test. Curious of how the 620 would perform.

I'll check the pump rpm's when I get home. What should it be running at ?

thnx

Pump fluctuates between 2290 and 2310 RPM'S.

I was hoping to compare CPU temp when the fans are set to max and when fans are in quiet mode.

Unfortunately and for the 3RD time since acquiring the H100i, Corsair Link no longer detects any of the H100i components. So I can't change fan speed, AGAIN!!!!!

WHAT A FABULOUS PRODUCT !!!!!!

Pump fluctuates between 2290 and 2310 RPM'S.

I was hoping to compare CPU temp when the fans are set to max and when fans are in quiet mode.

Unfortunately and for the 3RD time since acquiring the H100i, Corsair Link no longer detects any of the H100i components. So I can't change fan speed, AGAIN!!!!!

WHAT A FABULOUS PRODUCT !!!!!!

Read this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=120962&page=2 and your Corsairlink may find the h100i again.

Archived